1729 34 2019-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pbxcomm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 58182 ft
United States

Well,
I read horro stories about drone with minds of thier own..
Never thought it would happen to me, but it did.
My drone took off out of site and dissapeared (LOST). No idea where it landed (or crashed). Battery went low at 300' so I assumed it fell to earth somewhere.

I read there are some knowledgable members here that may be able to help find this drone before someone else does. Uploading flight data perhaps?

Thanks to all..
2019-5-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day pbxcomm. I'm really sorry to know that you have lost your DJI Phantom 4 Pro on your previous flight. Since this incident happened, I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket for the said drone at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav . We have the professional team who would do their best to find out the reason of the incident and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that DJI will not perform data analysis for cases occurring after the expiry of the warranty period; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thanks for understanding.
2019-5-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/         Go here and follow the instructions.  Come back and post the link.
2019-5-5
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 5-5 13:11
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/         Go here and follow the instructions.  Come back and post the link.

There are two, this is the first:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/DX9L9QH7883B8G1YT5QP/
2019-5-5
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 5-5 13:11

2019-5-5
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

pbxcomm Posted at 5-5 13:49

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/45610YFNZG0RZOZDKDN5/
2019-5-5
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

pbxcomm Posted at 5-5 13:50
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/45610YFNZG0RZOZDKDN5/

These are the two fight logs I could find for today

Thanks much!
2019-5-5
Use props
Tree Wolf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

look up in the trees, the drone can be hard to see, all you did was go up and down, bet it's sitting in the branches hidden from view.
2019-5-5
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

Tree Wolf Posted at 5-5 14:03
look up in the trees, the drone can be hard to see, all you did was go up and down, bet it's sitting in the branches hidden from view.

Could it be near homepoint? Because it took off out of sight..
2019-5-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Flying near trees is a No-no...

Good luck finding it...

RedHotPoker
2019-5-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Looks like you probably ran out of juice.     Shoulda charged that battery sooner.
2019-5-5
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 5-5 14:37
Looks like you probably ran out of juice.     Shoulda charged that battery sooner.

Yeah,
About that.. I had no intensions of flying that long. I had a loss of GPS, the bird went into ATTI mode and took off.
2019-5-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

When you lost signal, looks like it just hovered for a couple of minutes till the battery died.
2019-5-5
Use props
Tree Wolf
lvl.4
United States

How did it take off, which direction did it go, your data shows it's within 20ft of take off point.
Your flight path shows the drone going up to +-80ft then coming straight down to ground level.
Battery shows 49%, last point on the joystick graph shows you decended to the ground.

2019-5-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Tree wolf,  I think the last log is the one he lost it on.                 https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/45610YFNZG0RZOZDKDN5/
2019-5-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sorry, but this flight is riddled with pilot errors.  Too many to count.  

Apparently the GPS module or its antenna became disconnected and the system went to zero satellites.  That doesnt' appear to be the pilot's fault.  But now the AC is in ATTI.  From there, the location shown on the map for the next two+ minutes is a redundant default location and almost certainly not accurate.  One would have to analyze the stick input coupled with wind speed and direction to try to figure out where it might have been flown to from that point.  So it floated with the wind and also responded to seemingly random stick input for over two minutes before the log ended due to FPV/telemetry signal loss - and then a bit later it reached the 10% auto land point where it would have begun landing from a height of 400 feet while still floating with the wind and possibly still responding to random stick input from the controller.  Or it could have auto landed earlier due to a low cell.  It could be anywhere.  It would have landed downwind, but downwind from where?  Sorry, but IMHO, you'd need a NASA computer to figure where it might have landed.  

Sorry for your loss.  
2019-5-5
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 5-5 16:11
Tree wolf,  I think the last log is the one he lost it on.                 https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/45610YFNZG0RZOZDKDN5/

Correct.. The last log is the log that I had lost the bird and communication.
I tried to get it back but the distance indicated N/A and was not going to returning to home point.
after I lost all communication I stuck around for a while where I launched it. The park was quiet but I did not hear the drone come back at all. I cant seem t locate the exact latitude and longitude where it was last.
2019-5-5
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

I would try looking in the trees near the last location.
2019-5-5
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 5-5 17:26
I would try looking in the trees near the last location.

Myself and two other people searched the park and woods near where I took off for hours.. Found nothing.
2019-5-5
Use props
Tree Wolf
lvl.4
United States

oh boy...wow
sorry for your loss man...
2019-5-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OK, im lost, how was the flight flown on the 6th of May 2019 or May 6th if ya backwards ;) :p  and at about 5am
I was trying to check on the weather for the day in question but  thats hard seen as that day has not even started for you guys over the pond if it meant yesterday at 5am then there was no wind at 10m, if 5pm then 15kph at 10m so add perhaps 30-40%??

I did notice the compass error at the beginning of the last climb at 20% power as seen on the image, with not much to go on, i think it headed north east, but thats a large search area, and IF it managed to land safely from 400ft at 10%, i think the best plan is to sit and wait and hope someone rings you with a found drone,  perhaps put an add in ya locak FB groups?

Untitled.gif
2019-5-5
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-5 19:17
OK, im lost, how was the flight flown on the 6th of May 2019 or May 6th if ya backwards ;) :p  and at about 5am
I was trying to check on the weather for the day in question but  thats hard seen as that day has not even started for you guys over the pond  if it meant yesterday at 5am then there was no wind at 10m, if 5pm then 15kph at 10m so add perhaps 30-40%??

Thank you ..
As previously noted, the stick input was from me attempting to gain some control of the bird, however it would have none of it. The antennas were and still are in excellent working order. Odd thing is that the camera software would not function as of late, so I would take off and be forced to land, shutdown the bird and start back up to reset the camera as indicated on one of the flight logs. Also days prior I noticed the controller would intermittently enter ATTI mode then immediatley switch back to "normal".

Oddly enough, that is the area (Northeast) is where I live, (the park is accross the street) if that is in fact where it headed. Makes sense because we had south winds that day. The area is heavily pouplated with some businesses sprinkled throughout.
I had just completed taking pictures of a friends business nearby the day before, so the SD Card has pics of his business and business signs. Hopefully, he'll be receiving a call!
If the bird is within a square mile of my house I'm leaving the controller on 24/7 for a week, maybe I'll get a ping if someone tries to throw in a battery and start it up, who knows!

I just want to thank you all for your replies and taking your personal time out of your busy day to help me with this unfortunate outcome. I read many "Lost Drone" stories and pray it would never happen t me.
2019-5-6
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

pbxcomm Posted at 5-6 05:25
Thank you ..
As previously noted, the stick input was from me attempting to gain some control of the bird, however it would have none of it. The antennas were and still are in excellent working order. Odd thing is that the camera software would not function as of late, so I would take off and be forced to land, shutdown the bird and start back up to reset the camera as indicated on one of the flight logs. Also days prior I noticed the controller would intermittently enter ATTI mode then immediatley switch back to "normal".

What was the day and the time that you lost your drone?

2019-5-6
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Air/America Posted at 5-6 06:24
What was the day and the time that you lost your drone?

2019-5-6
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

Actually yesterday 4/5 (Sunday) was the actual flight. Approx. 3:00 PM.
2019-5-6
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

pbxcomm Posted at 5-6 08:11
Actually yesterday 4/5 (Sunday) was the actual flight. Approx. 3:00 PM.

You flight log says more like 4 PM (2054 UTC, which is 1554 local).
2019-5-6
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Just to make a really wild guess, I would say the drone lost RC contact (Atti) and then drifted with the wind maybe 3 minutes before the battery went critical and force landed inside the red circle?

Drone Loss Huntley IL 2  DRIFT DOWN.jpg
2019-5-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Air/America Posted at 5-6 10:34
Just to make a really wild guess, I would say the drone lost RC contact (Atti) and then drifted with the wind maybe 3 minutes before the battery went critical and force landed inside the red circle?

Would love to know what brought you to your conclusion?

I didnt hazard a guess purely because it would be just that for me, a guess, we dont know for sure if  the ac didnt get it self a fix again,  and if it did, at what point? there is a chance it may not have even crossed that road, the wind was blowing away from him so the sound of the drone would have been lost sooner, another thing is wind gusts these could have added more speed, or not lol then theres the constant speed, that was showing at 10mph, but that speed was the maximum at that time, it could have been an average of 5 or 8mph, Or, with the speed the drone was moving plus the tail wind, dont forget, this thing took off on its own free will, unlikely it kept doing that until emergency landing but, ya never know lol so, thats why i didnt guess on this one, too many unknown, but, the north east path is where i would start but it could long wide path or short and thin lol
2019-5-6
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Bashy Posted at 5-6 19:25
Would love to know what brought you to your conclusion?

I didnt hazard a guess purely because it would be just that for me, a guess, we dont know for sure if  the ac didnt get it self a fix again,  and if it did, at what point? there is a chance it may not have even crossed that road, the wind was blowing away from him so the sound of the drone would have been lost sooner, another thing is wind gusts these could have added more speed, or not lol then theres the constant speed, that was showing at 10mph, but that speed was the maximum at that time, it could have been an average of 5 or 8mph, Or, with the speed the drone was moving plus the tail wind, dont forget, this thing took off on its own free will, unlikely it kept doing that until emergency landing but, ya never know lol so, thats why i didnt guess on this one, too many unknown, but, the north east path is where i would start but it could long wide path or short and thin lol

I said a "a wild guess". I did not say "a wild conclusion". This is basic English vernacular, no?

2019-5-7
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

Air/America Posted at 5-7 04:48
I said a "a wild guess". I did not say "a wild conclusion". This is basic English vernacular, no?

Thanks to all for your help and input, greatly appreciated.
I have spent hours (now days) calling, searching.. The reality is, could be anywhere withing a two mile radius of where I launched or from Home Point. For all I know, its stuck atop of a 200' Oak tree.
I had sent all my information, flight Logs and flight video to DJI. To what extent DJI will asist is unknown to me, but I'm hopeful and am looking forward to DJI's explanation on what took place that day. There maybe some valuable information that come out of this not just for me but for all that participate in these forums.
2019-5-7
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

pbxcomm Posted at 5-7 06:10
Thanks to all for your help and input, greatly appreciated.
I have spent hours (now days) calling, searching.. The reality is, could be anywhere withing a two mile radius of where I launched or from Home Point. For all I know, its stuck atop of a 200' Oak tree.
I had sent all my information, flight Logs and flight video to DJI. To what extent DJI will asist is unknown to me, but I'm hopeful and am looking forward to DJI's explanation on what took place that day. There maybe some valuable information that come out of this not just for me but for all that participate in these forums.

I have not ended my search!
2019-5-7
Use props
KEJ
Second Officer
United Kingdom

pbxcomm Posted at 5-7 06:11

My friend had a similar experience, he crashed his drone a few years back.

I went down a few days later and hovered above and located it, then had to get slightly wet to recover it from a small marsh island.

The first part of the film is from his recovered drone/Gopro, drone was dried out and lived to fly another day(just one engine stuck in the mud)!
If you know anyone that has a drone you might be able to locate it in the tree tops!

2019-5-7
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

pbxcomm Posted at 5-7 06:11

By the way.. I've read many posts relating to ATTI Mode and what steps to take if in the event ATTI mode engages.
I can say first hand (and I do have experience flying this drone) that once the drone is up 200' to 300' and then switches to ATTI your in a Kayak on rapids with no paddle (my best expalnation). Thats how it is and thats how you feel at the moment. The Drone would not like stick movements to force it otherwise. Stick movement seems to only exasperate and increase the drone's velocity up and away. No matter what movement I attempted with either stick that drone was NOT coming back, period. I never quite understood why pilots could not re-gain control after a drone switched to ATTI mode on its own, until it actually happened to me. You have litteraly seconds to react to warning beeps, Distance displaying "N/A", GPS's from 15 to 0 (immediate), ATTI MODE, then red DISCONNECTION with no intention of returning home, not necessarily in that order. In the time it takes to read all of the flight data you are presented with, the drone is already on its way down range and out of site.  
2019-5-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Air/America Posted at 5-7 04:48

You misread, i said "your" conclusion, not "the" conclusion, i.e what brought you to your search area? i was interested in which parameters got you there? I know ya said wild but I most certainly didnt expect you to have closed your eyes and dropped a pin, I mean, seen as that is the "English" definition of wild guess, i just didnt think you meant it in the literal sense, seen as we have established that now surely not guessing at all would be better than a wild one, could have him search that area fruitlessly , but, back to my original assumption that it was not a figuratively "wild guess" and that some thought went into it, ;) therefore (spelt out better), what parameters  brought you to "your" conclusion, unless of course you hadnt finished your post, then please forgive the word conclusion ;)

pbxcomm, really hope you get a call soon....
2019-5-7
Use props
pbxcomm
lvl.2
United States

Bashy Posted at 5-7 18:59
You misread, i said "your" conclusion, not "the" conclusion, i.e what brought you to your search area? i was interested in which parameters got you there? I know ya said wild but I most certainly didnt expect you to have closed your eyes and dropped a pin, I mean, seen as that is the "English" definition of wild guess, i just didnt think you meant it in the literal sense, seen as we have established that now  surely not guessing at all would be better than a wild one, could have him search that area fruitlessly , but, back to my original assumption that it was not a figuratively "wild guess" and that some thought went into it, ;) therefore (spelt out better), what parameters  brought you to "your" conclusion, unless of course you hadnt finished your post, then please forgive the word conclusion ;)

pbxcomm, really hope you get a call soon....

Thanks much..
No calls/no luck so far.. That concerns me because its either in a farm field already planted, in a water hole of some nature or someone has it and will be selling it.
Or, as we say could be high in a tree. At his point if I had a hundred search volunteers I would have no clue were to send them.
Thats alot of money that fell from the sky.. My friends are trying to convince me to buy another... Actually, I doubt I will. As much as i enjoyed flying this increadable drone, the risk of another flyaway is not worth the reward. I can move $1500.00 somewhere else that makes more sense.
2019-5-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules