For Film makers - Smoother stick/camera movement
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

I'm feeling the stick controls are a bit abrupt in regard to smooth cinematic camera moves. At the default settings it's a little tricky when trying to do a really slow sideways dolly shot or really slow 3 feet above a field of flowers etc. Been going through the App with all the advanced stick seetings, gain response, braking etc. Would someone mind giving a little advice before I screw something up by just punching in random values. I'm probably asking a lot as it appears there are quite a few advanced adjustments one could make but any input or education is warmly appreciated.

I have...
Adjusted the Braking to 80. I like this as the default 100 makes the quad to violent counter tilt and stop on dime. Very cool.... but scared the hell out me the first few times. At 70 the stop is more of an "ease in and stop" vs screthching halt.

Adjusted the Attitude to 75. Maybe I'm wrong but this feels a little more "floaty" and not as tight which is better for camera moves.

I don't know how to...
e.g. The left stick feels like, on a scale of 1 - 100, it starts on 10 in stead of 1. If i wanna start smoothly moving left as it's hovering I start to push the stick left and.... boom from a dead hover it's starts ramping up speed moving way too fast. So it's 0 (hovering) to 10 (moving too fast).

Hope this makes sense. I can nail these kinds of movements with my P2. I 'm sure there's a fine tune I can do but I'm too inexperienced with the advaced stick adjustments to feel confident I'm not gonna screw something up. Better to ask first..... then wished I had asked first.

Thanks in advance.

2015-6-7
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can set the Expo's to .30 ( or maybe just the YAW ).

You can also lengthen the sticks ( unscrew top half to lengthen then screw up the bottom bit to lock ). This will make them less responsive to movement and make things a little smoother.

You can now buy the official DJI Hardshell Backpack
Remember to buy extra propellers and one or two spare batteries to keep you flying
www.Phantom-Guide.co.uk - The Ultimate Phantom 3 Resource

2015-6-7
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-8 04:22

You can also lengthen the sticks ( unscrew ...

Got it. Good tip on hightening the sticks too. More physical movment with less input to the quad. Thanks a bunch.
2015-6-7
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's a good tutorial on adjusting the sticks:

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-7
Use props
desertstormarti
lvl.2
Flight distance : 710587 ft
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-8 04:22

You can also lengthen the sticks ( unscrew ...

That is awesome, I didn't even know you could do that.
2015-6-7
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

PhantomHelp.com Posted at 2015-6-8 05:33
Here's a good tutorial on adjusting the sticks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxfsXyb_FqE

Great thanks for posting. I did this little trick and set expo's to .30. Went for a fly and.....it works. Quite well actually especially just raising the sticks that little bit. Thumb has to physically move the stick farther for the same input info to the quad. Simple and brilliant.
2015-6-7
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

brake is not as important as EXPO. I toggled brake completely down since i see no sense in it for filming. I had EXPO to 0.3 since the beginning and sticks screwed up since Phantom1. However the neat thing is really EXPO, something you couldnt do with the older Phantoms, only with new remote controllers. I dont know why but i discovered that i have sometimes a jitter in my fingers, maybe i get parkinson or whatever, maybe the remote controller with the Ipad air2 is to heavy for holding and smooth stick movements. So i think it is best to sit down and chill while flying or maybe use a neckstrap.

What exactly will attitude do?
2015-6-8
Use props
asadikhan
New

Canada

Newbie - question, where do you set the EXPO, and what does it stand for?
2015-12-19
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

asadikhan Posted at 2015-12-20 10:10
Newbie - question, where do you set the EXPO, and what does it stand for?

Stick movement is controlled by an Exponential function. With the Expo setting you are adjusting the curve and thus changing how the sticks respond to your movement.
Mike (PhantomHelp) points out lengthening the sticks in his post above, but he also has an excellent article over on PhantomPilots that shows the App settings and adjustments:
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... other-flying.44723/
2015-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules