HDR Sudden Exposure Shift?
677 12 2020-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

I was editing a clip recorded in HDR h.265 when I noticed a sudden exposure shift from one frame to the other. At first I thought something was off in the editor when it produced the proxy file, but then when I viewed the original file this exposure shift was there as well. The short video I have attached shows a few seconds before and after the sudden change in exposure followed by 5 reapeats in slow motion of when the shift occured. Has anyone else experiecned any sudden changes in exposure in your videos?

2020-8-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's the trouble with the HDR - you can only record using it in auto and the camera therefore shifts the exposure value. You can lock the auto exposure to stop it. Alternatively, switch from HDR to normal and use manual settings.
2020-8-13
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

As AJ stated, try locking the exposure. I noticed that a little bit with the Mini before I learned to lock the exposure, even though it doesn't do HDR, it still had a similar affect.
2020-8-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. As AJ advised at post #2 kindly please try to lock the auto exposure. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-8-14
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Had the same problem with my first use of HDR try to film the new roof on our building.

2020-8-14
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

Lock your white balance as well as the auto exposure. (i.e. set it to a manual amount... I like 5700k, dependend of course on your sunlight conditions too)
2020-8-14
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

I really hate working in manual mode with a system that offers zero flexibity under highly changing lighting conditions. With my semipro Sony NX80 I can setup a semi manual mode.  It has three buitin ND filters (no swapping out glass) and allows manual/automaic operation of each of these: gain, shutter, and aperture. The gain also has a user defined limiter.  So the typical setup for 30p is shutter set to 1/60 (180 degree), gain limited to 9db, aperture in auto, and switch ND filter to keep aperture and gain within a certain range. For the MA2 I wish it had a mode where just the shutter speed can be manually set and then use a ND filter to keep the iso between 100 to 800. This would allow up to 3 stops for exposure.

I'll continue with the HDR as it produces the best result with little fuss and switch back to h.264 as none of my previous videos shot in this codec have this sudden exposure shift.

Here's the edited video of the sunset and low clouds (only very slight edge sharpening was added) .

2020-8-15
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pappy3 Posted at 8-15 18:46
I really hate working in manual mode with a system that offers zero flexibity under highly changing lighting conditions. With my semipro Sony NX80 I can setup a semi manual mode.  It has three buitin ND filters (no swapping out glass) and allows manual/automaic operation of each of these: gain, shutter, and aperture. The gain also has a user defined limiter.  So the typical setup for 30p is shutter set to 1/60 (180 degree), gain limited to 9db, aperture in auto, and switch ND filter to keep aperture and gain within a certain range. For the MA2 I wish it had a mode where just the shutter speed can be manually set and then use a ND filter to keep the iso between 100 to 800. This would allow up to 3 stops for exposure.

Lovely footage
2020-8-16
Use props
BaynhamPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 380978 ft
United Kingdom

Pappy3 Posted at 8-15 18:46

Beautiful scenery well shot with a great audio choice.
2020-8-17
Use props
Sampath
lvl.2
Italy

is it a big problem?
2021-1-19
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

HDR has some serious disadvantages when it comes to changing exposure as the drone changes positions in relationship to the sun.  But that is trade off for the convince of having the exposure process managed digitally.  
2021-1-19
Use props
LarsE
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4305282 ft
Denmark

I have the same issue. At least now I know that it is a common thing. Was kinda hoping my drone had an error

2021-4-21
Use props
Macinfo
lvl.3
United States

It's really not an HDR issue, its an exposure issue.   Until there is drone that can better manage auto exposure in quickly changing conditions or provide more controls as you fly, you have few options... One; avoid changing direction significantly to where the sun will alter the exposure significantly Two; plan your shots so that you can alter exposure as needed to compensate for the change in direction.  Three; grin and bear it...  

You're not standing on the ground aiming a video camera or DSLR, Phone, you're in the sky moving anywhere from a few MPH to 40MPH or more, with any direction change or change in landscape that can significantly alter the exposure.
2021-4-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules