Airsense for Europe?
2831 14 2020-8-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DYNygzbCOXBZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274062 ft
United Kingdom

Does anyone know if or when Europe will get the Mavic Air 2 with the Airsense hardware fitted?  I know some would argue that you don’t actually need it but it seems illogical to pay for something in full but that you don’t actually get. I for one will not invest in the new drone until such time as Airsense  is available in Europe – which may mean I never buy it. And on a related matter, if it is introduced to Europe how will I know if the drone I’m buying has it fitted? I could be buying a drone from an earlier batch that doesn’t have the hardware.
2020-8-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14588274 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought my MA2 in the UK in May so one from the first batch to arrive here and obviously without Airsense. It didn't bother me as there is no legal requirment to have it in the UK and nor will there be after the EASA regs are introdcued in the new year, so I bought it anyway. There have been a number of threads from Europeans who have said that their drone is equipped with Airsense and you can tell by the different serial numbers on the drone. Some say they bought it in EU countries like Germany and works fine, others say they have the serial number which shows it is equipped with Airsense but don't get the warnings or toggle to turn it on and off in the app.

The official position from DJI is that Airsense will be added to later batches of EU models but nothing has been confirmed from what I have seen. So it appears that some recently purchased EU models may have it based on the feedback from other users but nothing official.

Here is one such link to a good thread on the topic: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=218624
2020-8-14
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

Since June is DJI shipping 3W labeled units (the same model number like US units) but Airsence is turned off outside North America. In EU ADS-B is mandatory for airplanes over 5700kg weight so the functionality is limited at the moment.
2020-8-14
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 6260171 ft
  • >>>
United States

...illogical to pay for something in full and don't get it, huh.  lol
2020-8-14
Use props
djiuser_DYNygzbCOXBZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274062 ft
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 8-14 08:51
I bought my MA2 in the UK in May so one from the first batch to arrive here and obviously without Airsense. It didn't bother me as there is no legal requirment to have it in the UK and nor will there be after the EASA regs are introdcued in the new year, so I bought it anyway. There have been a number of threads from Europeans who have said that their drone is equipped with Airsense and you can tell by the different serial numbers on the drone. Some say they bought it in EU countries like Germany and works fine, others say they have the serial number which shows it is equipped with Airsense but don't get the warnings or toggle to turn it on and off in the app.

The official position from DJI is that Airsense will be added to later batches of EU models but nothing has been confirmed from what I have seen. So it appears that some recently purchased EU models may have it based on the feedback from other users but nothing official.

Thanks for the detailed response
2020-8-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14588274 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_DYNygzbCOXBZ Posted at 8-14 10:00
Thanks for the detailed response

You're welcome
2020-8-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter. as of the moment only North America is available for the ADS-B version ( DJI AirSense ) drone. DJI is working on it to ensure all DJI drones sold in other regions will be equipped with such a feature in the near future. If there is any information released, it will be updated on the official website at www.dji.com. In addition I will post a link where in you can find the frequently asked questions for the DJI AirSense. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/airsense
2020-8-16
Use props
djiuser_YEq0NhEfO5l2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 82359 ft
Ireland

virtual Posted at 8-14 09:25
Since June is DJI shipping 3W labeled units (the same model number like US units) but Airsence is turned off outside North America. In EU ADS-B is mandatory for airplanes over 5700kg weight so the functionality is limited at the moment.

How you can be sure that that label has the feature built-in?
2020-8-20
Use props
George210477
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2733720 ft
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-16 19:58
Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter. as of the moment only North America is available for the ADS-B version ( DJI AirSense ) drone. DJI is working on it to ensure all DJI drones sold in other regions will be equipped with such a feature in the near future. If there is any information released, it will be updated on the official website at www.dji.com. In addition I will post a link where in you can find the frequently asked questions for the DJI AirSense. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/airsense

How about the ones that already brought the drone without ADS-B? What if regulations change in EU and we need it? You offer to chnage our drones with ADS-B for free? Because we paid same price like US as far as i know, but without ADS-B hardware... ????
2020-8-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 6260171 ft
  • >>>
United States

George210477 Posted at 8-23 12:31
How about the ones that already brought the drone without ADS-B? What if regulations change in EU and we need it? You offer to chnage our drones with ADS-B for free? Because we paid same price like US as far as i know, but without ADS-B hardware... ????

If regulations change, you could be screwed.
2020-8-23
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-23 15:50
If regulations change, you could be screwed.

As would the owners of every other drone in existence.
2020-8-23
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

djiuser_YEq0NhEfO5l2 Posted at 8-20 04:38
How you can be sure that that label has the feature built-in?

I can not as I never opened my Maic Air 2 to check components inside, but DJI said that 1N labeled units (first batch for EU custommers) were not equipped with ADS-B while 3W is standard unit...
2020-8-24
Use props
djiuser_YEq0NhEfO5l2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 82359 ft
Ireland

virtual Posted at 8-24 01:45
I can not as I never opened my Maic Air 2 to check components inside, but DJI said that 1N labeled units (first batch for EU custommers) were not equipped with ADS-B while 3W is standard unit...

I contacted their support and they won't provide any information, just some random canned response.
2020-9-10
Use props
IM35461
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2235417 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is the one thing that is stopping me buying one in the UK. From what I understand virtually any drone on sale here will soon become a legacy device when the rules change and you will have to keep further away from everything compared with new approved models.

https://dronerules.eu/sl/professional/eu_regulations_updates

Air 2 also of course won't work with my Crystalsky display
2020-9-29
Use props
djiuser_wFd7gvVFkPkx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1019665 ft
Mexico

Just to comment on something that is very interesting to me, I bought my Drone Air 2 in Mexico and it is supposed to not have AirSense, however, by mistake in one of the updates I noticed that planes were being detected on the radar since I live very close to the airport, I live on the border and thanks to this I decided to take my drone to the US just to see if the same thing happened near another airport and what do you think was my surprise when I realized that AirSense is fully operational with my drone, so as a conclusion at least in my case the restriction is by SoftWare based on the Georeference, so I'm very happy, I hope they release the tool since I don't see any logic in blocking an option that if it brings the equipment, it seems very strange Greetings
2022-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules