Swollen Mavic 2 Pro batteries have self healed!
18216 33 2020-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AIRQUAD
Second Officer
Flight distance : 25751486 ft
Sweden

IMG_20190617_183747.jpg

In April this year I noticed that three of my M2P batteries (charged about 60 times) were swollen, so didn’t use them anymore.

Last week I checked them out and noticed that the swelling was gone, so I charged them all and flew them down to 30%, and recharged them again, still no swelling.
Apparently they have self healed, thats the only explanation I can think of right now.

So don’t throw away your swollen battery, store them for a couple of months and charge them again and se that happens.

Does anyone here have a similar experience?

2020-8-26
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I had two swollen Mavic Pro batteries that I kept for a month and a half before disposing and they stayed swollen. My remaining battery has once swollen very slightly while hot but returned to normal after cooling off and I haven't noticed any more episodes of swelling after charging, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Just to be clear, my swollen batteries were really swollen, to the point where it was difficult to attach/remove from the AC.

080714rrrfxxfn7ndy7fq7.jpg
2020-8-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting find mate - thanks for sharing
2020-8-26
Use props
AIRQUAD
Second Officer
Sweden

Ex Machina Posted at 8-26 05:00
I had two swollen Mavic Pro batteries that I kept for a month and a half before disposing and they stayed swollen. My remaining battery has once swollen very slightly while hot but returned to normal after cooling off and I haven't noticed any more episodes of swelling after charging, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Just to be clear, my swollen batteries were really swollen, to the point where it was difficult to attach/remove from the AC.

Thanks for your input, my batteries looked like that to.
2020-8-26
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

AIRQUAD Posted at 8-26 05:14
Thanks for your input, my batteries looked like that to.

Huh. DJI has stated that moisture can cause swelling, presumably via micro (or otherwise) cracks in the battery casing. Is it particularly arid in your part of the world right now? Maybe if there is a way you can remove moisture from affected battery cells they can return to normal size?
2020-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there AIRQUAD. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us here at DJI Forum. Battery swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used and stored. In addition, every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Thank you.
2020-8-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Perhaps the lithium bag burst letting the pressure out,  I'd not feel comfortable flying these batteries.  I know the batteries are not cheap but compared to replacing the drone they are.
2020-8-27
Use props
AIRQUAD
Second Officer
Sweden

Ex Machina Posted at 8-26 05:50
Huh. DJI has stated that moisture can cause swelling, presumably via micro (or otherwise) cracks in the battery casing. Is it particularly arid in your part of the world right now? Maybe if there is a way you can remove moisture from affected battery cells they can return to normal size?

I didn’t know what.
The winter here was very mild and moist and I flew very much in January – April and then I discovered the swelling.
2020-8-27
Use props
AIRQUAD
Second Officer
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-26 19:02
Hello there AIRQUAD. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us here at DJI Forum. Battery swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used and stored. In addition, every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Thank you.

So if a battery swelled once but vent back to normal it not safe to use?
2020-8-27
Use props
AIRQUAD
Second Officer
Sweden

DAFlys Posted at 8-27 04:54
Perhaps the lithium bag burst letting the pressure out,  I'd not feel comfortable flying these batteries.  I know the batteries are not cheap but compared to replacing the drone they are.

Maybe so, I’m going to do some more test flights and monitor the batteries closely.
2020-8-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AIRQUAD Posted at 8-27 06:15
Maybe so, I’m going to do some more test flights and monitor the batteries closely.

Maybe keep those flights under 8ft.
2020-8-28
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Three of my swollen batteries have deflated after about 2 months of removing them from use.  I’ve not had the cajones to try them out again though.
2020-8-28
Use props
AIRQUAD
Second Officer
Sweden

DAFlys Posted at 8-28 00:56
Maybe keep those flights under 8ft.

Yes that’s perhaps the safest way to do it, and with additional safety measure added.

2020-8-28
Use props
AIRQUAD
Second Officer
Sweden

KlooGee Posted at 8-28 01:16
Three of my swollen batteries have deflated after about 2 months of removing them from use.  I’ve not had the cajones to try them out again though.

Thank for your input KloGee, it’s probably best not to use them.
2020-8-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

AIRQUAD Posted at 8-27 06:12
So if a battery swelled once but vent back to normal it not safe to use?

Hi there AIRQUAD. Thank you for the reply and for the information you have shared. If the said battery swelled once but went back to normal. It would be best to observe the said battery when in use specially when flying your DJI drone just to be sure that there will be no unwanted incident that happened. Thank you.
2020-8-30
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AIRQUAD Posted at 8-28 20:38
Yes that’s perhaps the safest way to do it, and with additional safety measure added.

[view_image]

Im still not sure its worth the risk.
2020-8-31
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

AIRQUAD Posted at 8-28 20:38

[view_image]

Hi Airquad
I do exactly the same thing with velcro for a Mavic pro battery with one catch that's broken off. No problem at all.
2020-8-31
Use props
AIRQUAD
Second Officer
Sweden

DAFlys Posted at 8-31 05:59
Im still not sure its worth the risk.

Well I’ll  report back how it turns out  
2020-8-31
Use props
AIRQUAD
Second Officer
Sweden

UKMoose Posted at 8-31 06:28
Hi Airquad
I do exactly the same thing with velcro for a Mavic pro battery with one catch that's broken off. No problem at all.

Thanks for your input UKMoose
2020-8-31
Use props
AIRQUAD
Second Officer
Sweden

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-30 23:59
Hi there AIRQUAD. Thank you for the reply and for the information you have shared. If the said battery swelled once but went back to normal. It would be best to observe the said battery when in use specially when flying your DJI drone just to be sure that there will be no unwanted incident that happened. Thank you.

Thanks for your input  Stephen
2020-8-31
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

AIRQUAD Posted at 8-28 20:42
Thank for your input KloGee, it’s probably best not to use them.

Besides the risk of battery failure while in flight, there's also a fire risk: Bloated Battery Catches FIRE.
2020-9-1
Use props
AIRQUAD
Second Officer
Sweden

Ex Machina Posted at 9-1 04:42
Besides the risk of battery failure while in flight, there's also a fire risk: Bloated Battery Catches FIRE.

Very scary indeed
2020-9-1
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

AIRQUAD Posted at 8-31 23:49
Thanks for your input  Stephen

Hi there AIRQUAD. You are very much welcome and if you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2020-9-1
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

LiPo batteries swell as they give off a gas. This is normally contained within the battery wrappings. If the gas leaks out you will determine that the batteries have returned to normal size. But they have not returned to normal operation. They will have lost some storage capability. That is up to you to determine.
2020-9-2
Use props
Craig540
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1292339 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2020-9-1 22:08
Hi there AIRQUAD. You are very much welcome and if you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
Has DJI corrected this problem with Mavic 2 batteries?
I have 2 batteries that are useless after 50 fights each and do not want to buy more defective batteries.  
2021-8-27
Use props
NickelPlate
lvl.3
Flight distance : 506073 ft
United States

bjr981s Posted at 2020-9-2 04:45
LiPo batteries swell as they give off a gas. This is normally contained within the battery wrappings. If the gas leaks out you will determine that the batteries have returned to normal size. But they have not returned to normal operation. They will have lost some storage capability. That is up to you to determine.

Yep. Been using lipos for many years. If they're swollen from gas build up they usually stay that way unless they have a leak in the foil wrapper. That's a dangerous situation as lithium reacts with H20 violently. Never vent them yourself. As hard as it is to do, I would discard the battery.
2021-9-1
Use props
djiuser_bjhaINqX18Tl
New
Flight distance : 30554 ft

South Africa

I lost my drone due the the swollen battery that came out! The biggest flaw in the DJI design is the battery's.
2021-12-31
Use props
djiuser_bjhaINqX18Tl
New
Flight distance : 30554 ft

South Africa

I lost my drone due the the swollen battery that came out! The biggest flaw in the DJI design is the battery's.
2021-12-31
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

According to the logs.. one of my batteries has massive cell deviation and probably is the that had a lot of voltage issues in flight but everything looks ok.  It doesn't look inflated at all.  It doesn't seem too bad..

1.png
I don't understand how in the beginning it gets down to 3.2V but mid-flight.. it's normal?  Look at 6 minutes in.

2.png

Is this something I should worry about?  I would have zero idea if I didn't go into advanced mode with a payment subscription to be able to see it.

2021-12-31
Use props
djiuser_lCQXVP5XktfV
lvl.1

Singapore

I purchased a bloated Mavic 2 battery by accident. It was cheap and I paid $100 for 2 pieces. I did not fly my mavic for 6 months and I later realised they were no longer bloated. I have been using them regularly ever since with no problems. However, I have a habit of always letting the battery cool down before charging it and my low battery alert is 35% so that the heat does not go beyond a certain threshold..
2022-1-6
Use props
fans59bce5be
New
Turkey

My 3 original Mavic Pro batteries which I bought new in 2016 were swollen, one badly with the back sticker popping out.  

I read all this and I called DJI tech support.  They said:

- they are no longer safe to use
- i must ‘decommission’  them and then dispose of them responsibly
- to decommission them put them in a brine (5% salt) for 3-4 hours
- a mavic pro battery has a life of up to 200 charging cycles

My batteries are in the brine now bubbling away.  They did not blow up or catch fire or leak.

I must have put around 130 cycles on them.  
My mistake was this year only to place the batteries on the dji charger behind a window in the sun in a relatively high humidity environment on my boat.

I will buy new mavic pro batteries.

2022-10-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Batteries do not self heal.  They age.  Then they become unsafe.
2022-10-23
Use props
djiuser_nA9EF94MWCdN
lvl.1

Sweden

I bought a used mavic 2 pro, and I didn't know of this swelling issue, but after reading several posts about this I can see that all 3 are swollen, what can I do?
I read somewhere that I can contact dji to get them replaced, the drone is about 4 years old and the batteries too, can they still replace them for free?
3-2 03:17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_nA9EF94MWCdN Posted at 3-2 03:17
I bought a used mavic 2 pro, and I didn't know of this swelling issue, but after reading several posts about this I can see that all 3 are swollen, what can I do?
I read somewhere that I can contact dji to get them replaced, the drone is about 4 years old and the batteries too, can they still replace them for free?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to know the issues with your unit. In this case, we suggest you contact the dealer where you purchased the product to ask for their after-sales policy. Please note that we can only consider a warranty repair or replacement if the unit is within its warranty period. We appreciate your understanding.
3-3 01:18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules