553 8 2020-9-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I could have returned this aircraft to the vendor well within the 30 day window but failed to pay close attention to the increased clicking sounds when I unfolded and refolded one of the front arms.  Eventually I investigated it and found that the Axis Shaft had entirely broken away from the plastic stay "tabs" and the plastic had crumbled in some pieces.  On further investigation I learned that this plastic stay tab appeared to be an actual part of the aircraft body.  Even further examination displayed that that the phillips screw of the same Axis Shaft was also inserted into a plastic tab and it too was starting to break apart.  Until I learned about the broken plactic tabs I was prepared to conduct a DYI by replacing the Axis Shaft myself but not now.  

I became curious about the design comparions of the axis shaft assembly between the air 2 and my mavic 2 pro.  I learned that although the mavic 2 pro has a similar plastic stay, it did not protude away from the body much at all, and in my opinion this made it less problematic to breakage due to it "not" having a tall piece of plastic that was continiously sustaining the pressure of opening and closing the arms.  In addition, on the mavic 2 pro, the phillips screw did not appear to be supported by an extended piece of plastic at all.  

I have no idea if this is a fatal flaw just for me, or if others have or will have an issue like this.  I have been folding and unfolding my mavic 2 pro since launch date and mechanical issues like this has never appeared, and I attribute this to a more quality design, and of course in most cases quality costs more.  

I do have the DJI Refresh but what bums me out is that now I have to send the aircraft in for repairs on something that broke when it was in my return window.  I also have to decide if I want to even bother with waiting on the repair or just use the available "Express Refresh".  The attached pictures displays the axis shaft issue of the mavic air 2 and a comparison of what the axis shaft of the mavic 2 pro looks like.

air 2

air 2

2 pro

2 pro

air 2

air 2
2020-9-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I'm sure you can still send it back under warranty,
2020-9-27
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Suren Posted at 9-27 09:38
I'm sure you can still send it back under warranty,

Yes, I intend to but was concerned about the length of time in getting the replacement aircraft back to me.  One of my friends said it took quite a while to get his drone back.
2020-9-27
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

M Stuart K Posted at 9-27 16:18
Yes, I intend to but was concerned about the length of time in getting the replacement aircraft back to me.  One of my friends said it took quite a while to get his drone back.

Better to send back and wait for another then to have it crash while flying and you cannot get to it to use your refresh claim.
2020-9-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 9-27 20:29
Better to send back and wait for another then to have it crash while flying and you cannot get to it to use your refresh claim.

2020-9-27
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 9-27 20:29

2020-9-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi M Stuart K, sorry for what happened to the drone, we do not recommend to repair it by yourself, please send back to DJI repair center for the diagnosis, our repair center will help check whether the warranty service can be provided. Please start a ticket here: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index?site=brandsite&from=nav
2020-9-28
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 9-28 02:30
Hi M Stuart K, sorry for what happened to the drone, we do not recommend to repair it by yourself, please send back to DJI repair center for the diagnosis, our repair center will help check whether the warranty service can be provided. Please start a ticket here: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index?site=brandsite&from=nav

Thank you.  I have no doubt that the warranty service can be provided because the issue is clearly a defect.  What I am undecided on is whether to use one of my DJI care "express refresh" and get a replacement much sooner or allow DJI to evaluate the drone to decide if they will repair/replace under warranty.  The evaluation route can be quite lengthy and it will take some time to get the drone back, but I assume the express refresh will be much shorter.  
2020-9-28
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 9-28 05:09
Thank you.  I have no doubt that the warranty service can be provided because the issue is clearly a defect.  What I am undecided on is whether to use one of my DJI care "express refresh" and get a replacement much sooner or allow DJI to evaluate the drone to decide if they will repair/replace under warranty.  The evaluation route can be quite lengthy and it will take some time to get the drone back, but I assume the express refresh will be much shorter.

In a sense; I think DJI Care is often used by your customers in lieu of waiting for DJI to evaluate the issue and decide what is often quite obviously a warranty issue, such as mine.  No one wants to wait months for you to send their drone back through your evaluation process.  
2020-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules