Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shellant
lvl.2
Flight distance : 939232 ft
United States

Hi Gang.
Its time to give back .
I know there are plenty of hoods out there and every one has an opinion.
well here is mine.
Each hood I have seen still lets too much light in and is too open in my humble opinion.
I want to be clear , I am not criticizing hard work and initiative by fellow members . I am just  merely offering an alternative that I have not seen yet and one that works for me.
Have a look and I will tell you all that I did to get these things made.
I am using the Samsug galaxy tab pro 8 . That doesn't matter because this would work for any tablet just the dimensions would be altered to fit.Here goes.
Here Goes .
I found at Harbor Freight , A foam matt set for $9.99 that is 4 25" x 25" pieces of Foam mat that you would put on your garage floor.
Don't fret Once cut its a little bit heavier than an Iphone  Of course you can choose to make it out of whatever material you like.
I first made one out of black Foam core and that worked just fine as well.
I've added the pictures of mine, as rough as it is in hope to get some discussion started .
what I used
Foam matt -$9.99
Enough stick back Velcro to put along each attaching edge .  about $10 ( i'll add a tip for making sticky velcro even stickier)
I had some contact cement from previous projects , so I am goig to consider that a freebie.
Long measuring ruler
Box cutters. Make em sharp . I actually picked up one at the ceck out at harbor freight for 25 cents. Glad I did, that little bugger was sharp.
Good clean surface to do all the cutting and measuring.
Heat Gun. I use the heat gun to warn the sticky side of the velcro to just as it is starting to bubble but before it damages the actual hook or fur. You should probably test those limits for yourself but I find that seems to really kick in the stick....
I cut out the pieces in cardboard first . 5 pieces in total
They will become
The Left Side
The Right side  ( I mount my Tablet so the cable plugs in from the right so I cut the sqaure access hole in what I am calling the right, but being symmetrical you can choose either )  
The Top
The Back
And finally the Bottom or under side. ( it was the same as the top but I realized that I could not get my hand in to touch the screen so I just cut 5" from the wider side and now I have the full shade and access to the tablet .I used some of the off cuts to make channels that would slide over the left and right edges of the tablet.
The contact cement was to glue these 4 pieces to the insides of both the right and left side.
The reason I used velcro and did not contact glue the hood was that now I can disassemble the hood and pack it flat.
The only other thing was to make a cutout for the top piece to accomodate the top of the Tablet Clamp on the controller.
I hope this helps and I take no offence if you suggest better ways or materials to go about what I have done. This was undertaken as a way that I could clearly see the image with as little reflection distracting me as possible.
Tony
p.s. One disadvantage to my Harbor Freight cheap matt is that the Matt does have a strong smell but it seems to be reducing over time

No Hood

No Hood

with hood

with hood

Cardboard pieces

Cardboard pieces

cut pieces

cut pieces

right side top

right side top

Right side inside

Right side inside

right side inside CU

right side inside CU
2015-6-25
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Yeah... you're not going to win any design awards for elegance (kinda butt ugly actually) but by golly Miss Molly, that sucker sure cuts out the glare!  Kinda reminds me of those old timey radar hoods you see in WWII war movies.  I think I've seen similar material in Walmart in different colors for kids playrooms.  Might have to pick some up and try my hand at fabricating a version (think I'll bevel the edges to reduce the clunkyness)

You know there is bound to be at least one person out there who is going to opt for a version 2.0 that is going to look more reminiscent of a Mr Sulu's targeting monitor.  Just you wait...

2015-6-26
Use props
Shellant
lvl.2
Flight distance : 939232 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-6-27 00:18
Yeah... you're not going to win any design awards for elegance (kinda butt ugly actually) but by gol ...

Butt Ugly, That hurt my feelings Gil.. LOL.
Yeh I thought I found some cheap material and light but I agree , I'm not happy with the looks of it either.
I made my first one out of foam core and it did't stand up to more than a couple of trips. I don't know what the material is called but I was looking for ( I've seen it ) a Plastic cardboard. I think they make signs out of it and I have seen it in white but not sure what its called and if it comes in black. Of course I can find things on the net but unless I can put my hands on it and see it , I don't want to have it shipped to me.
Thats kind of why I started this thread .
In all it's roughness that worked a treat and I could actually see in full daylight what i needed.
Like I said , I really want some feed back and I think with all the great big brains out there , we can come up with something to suit our needs and our pockets
Cheers
Tony
2015-6-26
Use props
pidetectives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>
United States

Holy cow son what is that some  radio active device
2015-6-26
Use props
metronome
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48852 ft
United States

hey... it ain't a fashion show.
I like it.  very.... shall we say "organic
2016-2-10
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

Shellant Posted at 2015-6-26 08:30
Butt Ugly, That hurt my feelings Gil.. LOL.
Yeh I thought I found some cheap material and light bu ...

You could make it out of plain cardboard and duct tape, cover the inside with flocking tape:

http://www.amazon.com/JVCC-FLOCK ... words=flocking+tape

Cover the outside with black duck tape - or whatever color / style you prefer.

I made a similar device out of thermoplastic sheet.  I orginally thought I would bend the corners down using a heat gun but ended up just taping everything together.
Duck Tape Rules!
2016-2-10
Use props
kontact
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8679751 ft
United States

Hello All
After looking at a few of my friends sun shades, I did not like them. I found this box ( from a mini quad). It fit perfect for my LG Gpad 8.3 inch sheet. [img]https://forum33.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/%5BURL=http://s103.photobucket.com/user/phxbird/media/IMG_20160210_2126043291.jpg.html%5D[/URL][/img]
I fold it up and slide it under the foam in the lid.
[img]https://forum44.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/[/img]
I got some Ducktape on the out side. used some of the DJI stickers.
I put a peace of velcro on the bottom of the box and a peace velcro on the back side of the tablet. holds it in place.
[img]https://forum33.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/[/img]
[img]https://forum44.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/[/img]
[img]https://forum11.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/[/img]
2016-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules