DJI Learned Something?
1978 31 2020-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1063107 ft
United States

If anyone's been following the mini 2 saga you'll notice that DJI is being VERY Strict this go around with anything that causes the mini 2 to weigh more then 249g. The original mini fly more combo shipped with prop guard/cage and had a warning to not fly with it outside because of weight/wind issues but people totally flew the mini with these accessories outside pushing the mini past the legal flying weight. Not only this, DJI sold accessories that attached to the mini also increasing weight past restrictions.

With the release of the mini 2, the mods have been REALLY strict on telling users to not use ANY MM1 ACCESSORIES because it invalidates the weight limits. Want to use the mm1 prop guards that fit? NOPE TO HEAVY, but they totally fit and would work but BUY OUR LIGHT WEIGHT PROP PROTECTOR! MM1 Batteries work, ONLY FOR INTERNATIONAL VERSION meanwhile everyone who's posted that it's possible and works is the NA/EU 249g version but DJI will tell you otherwise and it's because the MM1 batteries will also increase weight forcing the need to be registered.

Do you see any mirrors or lame 3rd party accessories this go around? NOPE, I think DJI must of learned some form of lesson to be so strict this go around. Adding anything that could increase the weight of the mini 2, yet for the mini 1 was happily selling and including accessories that knowingly pushed the mini 1 past legal restrictions.

/conspiracyrant

2020-11-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 14416132 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think DJI have a duty of care to their customers to be crystal clear at point of sale that adding any accessories to a product weighing 249g will obviously increase the weight to 250g or more. I agree that this time round they are delivering that message with more clarity. However, it is ultimately the direct responsibility of the pilot to ensure that he/she is aware of the legalities of each and every flight in their country/region.

My car can drive at 140MPH - the speed limit on the motorway is 70MPH - if a police officer caught me driving at 140MPH it will be me facing a court summons and not BMW. Same principle - if you put prop guards on a 249g drone that takes it's weight to 250g or more and you don't register yourself to fly a drone of that weight when required then it will be you and not DJI that will face a £1,000 fine. Displacing responsibility onto a manufacturer for committing an offence will not hold up in any court - ignorance is not a justifiable defence as any Judge will tell you. All DJI need to do is tell you that the core product weighs <250g and thus adding to it will increase the weight. I don't think that's a conspiracy lol. It would be a conspiracy if the drone weighed more than 250g out the box and DJI lied in their advertising - which is clearly not the case.
2020-11-7
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

In France at the moment no registration problems or training as long as the drone does not weigh 800G.
2020-11-7
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 11-7 04:13
I think DJI have a duty of care to their customers to be crystal clear at point of sale that adding any accessories to a product weighing 249g will obviously increase the weight to 250g or more. I agree that this time round they are delivering that message with more clarity. However, it is ultimately the direct responsibility of the pilot to ensure that he/she is aware of the legalities of each and every flight in their country/region.

My car can drive at 140MPH - the speed limit on the motorway is 70MPH - if a police officer caught me driving at 140MPH it will be me facing a court summons and not BMW. Same principle - if you put prop guards on a 249g drone that takes it's weight to 250g or more and you don't register yourself to fly a drone of that weight when required then it will be you and not DJI that will face a £1,000 fine. Displacing responsibility onto a manufacturer for committing an offence will not hold up in any court - ignorance is not a justifiable defence as any Judge will tell you. All DJI need to do is tell you that the core product weighs

The conspiracy is a joke.

It's more along the lines of, when they first released the mini it was only in the fine print that using anything with the mini would exceed it's weight limit and would require registration. As a "Entry" level drone, a bunch of new, inexperienced pilots and lots of people who came to this forum that could of had their question answered by simply reading the manual.

Where I Joked about the conspiracy is, did the FCC or EU brandish DJI for negligently including these accessories, the fly app for example when detection of a "Payload" prompt the user that the drone weighs beyond legal limit and "Check this box" to acknowledge that you are registered and take responsibility like they do in other places of the app.

So this go around by not including these accessories and Making A Point to be Very Clear this time around about Maintaining the 249g limit. DJI is no longer facing scrutiny for including accessories that violates the law in most countries without a clearer message to the user.

To go with your car analogy, DJI produces a sports car that comes with a free upgrade to a turbo. It's a the user who's going to be fined for breaking the law, but DJI is also at fault for including the turbo. The v2 of that sports car, they don't turbo it to be more responsible and govern the car to a safe legal limit. In the end with all that said, the user can and will still break the law and be fined over there negligence regardless of the safety measures DJI takes, but they can still do there part to help.
2020-11-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ABeardedItalian Posted at 11-7 05:01
The conspiracy is a joke.

It's more along the lines of, when they first released the mini it was only in the fine print that using anything with the mini would exceed it's weight limit and would require registration. As a "Entry" level drone, a bunch of new, inexperienced pilots and lots of people who came to this forum that could of had their question answered by simply reading the manual.

Which they are clearly now doing by highlighting the weight issue with regards to accessories.
2020-11-7
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 11-7 05:04
Which they are clearly now doing by highlighting the weight issue with regards to accessories.

To which is my point.

It's just a shame that there will never be any communication on the subject. Mini 2 has stiffer/heavier props, they learned and improved upon issues of the mm1 props but do we see an upgraded mm1 prop option? Oh yeah, it comes in the form of a $449 upgrade to the mini 2 !

I just wish DJI was less like Apple and more like Other Reputable Hobby brands that offer some transparency and tries to uphold some form of positive reputation among st it's customers.
2020-11-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ABeardedItalian Posted at 11-7 05:54
To which is my point.

It's just a shame that there will never be any communication on the subject. Mini 2 has stiffer/heavier props, they learned and improved upon issues of the mm1 props but do we see an upgraded mm1 prop option? Oh yeah, it comes in the form of a $449 upgrade to the mini 2 !

That’s how the Chinese do business - very different to the western world
2020-11-7
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

A J Posted at 11-7 06:10
That’s how the Chinese do business - very different to the western world

It's really not though... I deal with a lot of Chinese tech brands and not all of them are soulless, a lot of it stems from a misunderstanding and a lack of a proper translation between the two parties. DJI has just adopted the consumer electronic approach and seems to be fast tracking to the year to year release cycle like a lot of other industries are doing.

All I can hope for is that one day they get some PR peeps for there western audience as It would go a long way in their brand management.
2020-11-7
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ABeardedItalian Posted at 11-7 06:28
It's really not though... I deal with a lot of Chinese tech brands and not all of them are soulless, a lot of it stems from a misunderstanding and a lack of a proper translation between the two parties. DJI has just adopted the consumer electronic approach and seems to be fast tracking to the year to year release cycle like a lot of other industries are doing.

All I can hope for is that one day they get some PR peeps for there western audience as It would go a long way in their brand management.

It is very different - culturally and otherwise. Not worse or better - just different. Cards a lot closer to the chest for one.
2020-11-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-7 04:13

My car can drive at 140MPH - the speed limit on the motorway is 70MPH - if a police officer caught me driving at 140MPH it will be me facing a court summons and not BMW. Same principle - if you put prop guards on a 249g drone that takes it's weight to 250g or more and you don't register yourself to fly a drone of that weight when required then it will be you and not DJI that will face a £1,000 fine. Displacing responsibility onto a manufacturer for committing an offence will not hold up in any court - ignorance is not a justifiable defence as any Judge will tell you. All DJI need to do is tell you that the core product weighs

Only 140mph,  I think you need an upgrade.   I need an upgrade and mine only does 170mph.
2020-11-9
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whilst the weight idea is interesting and perhaps explains the absence of guards in the mini 2 combo, I think the new prop storage 'methods' and new props are perhaps more telling as to them 'listening' or perhaps taking note of warranty etc. claims. Whatever the reasons for the latter it seem to me to be an improvement on the original
2020-11-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-9 01:28
Only 140mph,  I think you need an upgrade.   I need an upgrade and mine only does 170mph.

Actually I made up the top speed as I'm not really into cars - it's a family car - I rather invest in property
2020-11-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-9 03:32
Actually I made up the top speed as I'm not really into cars - it's a family car - I rather invest in property

Yeah,  Best thing I ever did was pay off the mortgage.
2020-11-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-9 05:08
Yeah,  Best thing I ever did was pay off the mortgage.

Just been out and took at look at the clock - it's says 160MPH - not that it makes any difference lol
2020-11-9
Use props
ABeardedItalian
Second Officer
United States

Sean-newbie Posted at 11-9 02:40
Whilst the weight idea is interesting and perhaps explains the absence of guards in the mini 2 combo, I think the new prop storage 'methods' and new props are perhaps more telling as to them 'listening' or perhaps taking note of warranty etc. claims. Whatever the reasons for the latter it seem to me to be an improvement on the original

Even down to the illustration they post, "Store Props like this" and only for it to still be wrong in their own illustration. The great work that zBip did proved that fact, and they clearly listened and have "Revised" storage methods and Illustrations.

Meanwhile...... *crickets* in the mini 1 section.
2020-11-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-9 05:17
Just been out and took at look at the clock - it's says 160MPH - not that it makes any difference lol

Mines speed limited to 170mph due to the tire rating,  I could get it removed but I don't think its worth it.   I had wanted to take it to the nurburgring this summer but that went out the window.   The "everyday" car only does 115mph.
2020-11-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-9 05:57
Mines speed limited to 170mph due to the tire rating,  I could get it removed but I don't think its worth it.   I had wanted to take it to the nurburgring this summer but that went out the window.   The "everyday" car only does 115mph.

My brother-in-law just bought a stunning Aston Martin - quite a rare one too. I'm not really into cars myself. Just stick with BMW's as they are comfortable and reliable.
2020-11-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-9 07:07
My brother-in-law just bought a stunning Aston Martin - quite a rare one too. I'm not really into cars myself. Just stick with BMW's as they are comfortable and reliable.

My "fast" car is #3 of 500,  the first went to a museum, the second no longer exists.  Mine was also the first customer collected car.    But I would love an Aston very much.
2020-11-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-9 07:07
My brother-in-law just bought a stunning Aston Martin - quite a rare one too. I'm not really into cars myself. Just stick with BMW's as they are comfortable and reliable.

And last time I saw one for sale on a dealer forecourt it was up for £2k more than I paid new.
2020-11-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-9 09:49
And last time I saw one for sale on a dealer forecourt it was up for £2k more than I paid new.

Seems you are very much into cars lol I'm more of a luxury watch guy but I don't want to take this gents thread off topic
2020-11-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-9 10:06
Seems you are very much into cars lol I'm more of a luxury watch guy but I don't want to take this gents thread off topic

I have a breightling that I love, but my Apple watches have replaced it as a daily driver.
2020-11-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-9 10:11
I have a breightling that I love, but my Apple watches have replaced it as a daily driver.

Do you mean Breitling? They depreciate massively in value - I think you need to upgrade lol
2020-11-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-9 10:14
Do you mean Breitling? They depreciate massively in value - I think you need to upgrade lol

Yes my auto correct must be a bit off tonight.   It was a good few K's new,  Its sentimental not an investment.  I mainly wear it special occasions these days and move my Apple Watch to the other wrist as Im not loosing my 2000+ day move streak.  Sad I know.
2020-11-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-9 10:20
Yes my auto correct must be a bit off tonight.   It was a good few K's new,  Its sentimental not an investment.  I mainly wear it special occasions these days and move my Apple Watch to the other wrist as Im not loosing my 2000+ day move streak.  Sad I know.

Indeed it must be lol
2020-11-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-9 10:21
Indeed it must be lol

Its been a long week,  Ive been overdosing on the US election somewhat.  
2020-11-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-9 10:21
Indeed it must be lol

Just checked, I have a Superocean with both the rubber and link strap and its still a good deal more than I paid.
2020-11-9
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-9 10:51
Just checked, I have a Superocean with both the rubber and link strap and its still a good deal more than I paid.

I doubt it is worth more - Superocean's retail brand new for around £3K and you can purchase used ones in mint condition with box and papers for £1-2K. Breitling are notorious for losing value. If you want to see significant gain on a watch you need to invest in Rolex and Patek.
2020-11-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-9 11:01
I doubt it is worth more - Superocean's retail brand new for around £3K and you can purchase used ones in mint condition with box and papers for £1-2K. Breitling are notorious for losing value. If you want to see significant gain on a watch you need to invest in Rolex and Patek.

What I meant was its being sold new for more than mine cost,  it was never meant to be an investment.
2020-11-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-10 01:25
What I meant was its being sold new for more than mine cost,  it was never meant to be an investment.

I see - yes, the brand new retail goes up until the model is discontinued which is quite frequent amongst some brands.
2020-11-10
Use props
fans7acffad6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 263225 ft
Portugal

VanzPix Posted at 11-7 04:44
In France at the moment no registration problems or training as long as the drone does not weigh 800G.

That's going to change with the new EASA/UK rules coming into effect January 1st 2021. This is also why I believe that DJI come out with the Mini 2 so soon, less than a year after the launch.

The Mini 2 will be the first homologated C0 class drone as per the new rules. The 250gr limit is applicable as MTOW (Maximum Take Off Weight) and not OTOW (Operational Take Off Weight) and already in some countries the Mini 1 isn't classified as under 250gr  due to its MTOW. The Mini 1 as per the new rules would be a C1 class drone, the same as the MA2 requiring registration and on line certification test. The Mini 2 is a C0 class that only requires registration, reading of the Mfg instructions and can overfly people. That's why DJI makes reference that you shoudn't fly with MM1 accessories thus insisting on an under 249gr MTOW for the Mini 2.
2020-11-10
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

fans7acffad6 Posted at 11-10 09:12
That's going to change with the new EASA/UK rules coming into effect January 1st 2021. This is also why I believe that DJI come out with the Mini 2 so soon, less than a year after the launch.

The Mini 2 will be the first homologated C0 class drone as per the new rules. The 250gr limit is applicable as MTOW (Maximum Take Off Weight) and not OTOW (Operational Take Off Weight) and already in some countries the Mini 1 isn't classified as under 250gr  due to its MTOW. The Mini 1 as per the new rules would be a C1 class drone, the same as the MA2 requiring registration and on line certification test. The Mini 2 is a C0 class that only requires registration, reading of the Mfg instructions and can overfly people. That's why DJI makes reference that you shoudn't fly with MM1 accessories thus insisting on an under 249gr MTOW for the Mini 2.

I think that with the health crisis in Europe the law will surely be postponed
2020-11-10
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I agree with some of the other users.  Including things like propellor guards inherently changes the take off weight and if used places the drones weight in a category that requires registration.  By not including the guards, which I would not use anyway, DJI can never be accused of making the total weight of the drone greater than 250 grams.  It is then a Pilot compliance issue.
2020-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules