DJI drops the ball in Ronin app with focus tracking
2369 11 2020-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Niki D.
lvl.1
Germany

I rarely saw a missed opportunity as blatant as the missing option to set points for the focus motor in the Track feature of the Ronin app!

From a programming standpoint it is super-easy: You are already setting motor positions for the different axis with the waypoints and interpolate between them smoothly. Please just add another 'axis' with the focus motor and do the same for it. You set the focus on point 1, set the focus on point 2 and the software transitions between these two numeric values.

It's so easy! And such a head scratcher, why it is not already an existing feature!

Think of the possibilities! It would be a small motion control rig (at least for rotation ...)!

Please fix this disappointing and shocking oversight!

2020-11-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, we just found another post with the same contents above. And you mentioned that you are using the BMPCC 6K, which has not been tested compatible with the DJI RS2. We are deeply sorry about the inconvenience on the product experiences. Our camera testing team is working on the issue, once we get the results, we will updates with you.

Thanks!
2020-11-10
Use props
Niki D.
lvl.1
Germany

Thank you for your reply, Wanda!

But to be specific ... the other post is about a slightly different problem: The missing focus motor support for the Raveneye live view.
This one laments the missing motor focus support for the Ronin app programmable track feature.

And as far as I understand it: Both problems have nothing to do with the camera model, do they? I guess these feature are missing for all camera models.

And by the way ... I did some testing for you with the Pocket 6k and found it very compatible: Balancing even big lenses is absolutely possible -> see my hopefully helpful answers in the other thread about it. And all the other features also seem to work fine with the Pocket 6k. So please don't blame the camera model.

2020-11-11
Use props
DJI-Paul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41159547 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

We value feedback but please don't say its an oversight as you're only thinking about software. You need to consider the complexities of a focus motor, frequencies of vibration, steps, resolution, transmission packets, etc...We work on this stuff every single day so if you've thought about it, 99% percent of the time, we probably have as well.
2020-11-12
Use props
Räphu
lvl.1
Switzerland

Hi

Would already be very nice to have the Focus itself (without Motor) stored in the waypoints of the track feature!
But you probably already thought about that one as well ;-).

Regards
2021-2-6
Use props
Philippe GAUDENS
lvl.1
France

Hello,

Is there any update about keeping focus associated with track points ?
2021-10-15
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218087 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Paul Posted at 2020-11-12 03:48
We value feedback but please don't say its an oversight as you're only thinking about software. You need to consider the complexities of a focus motor, frequencies of vibration, steps, resolution, transmission packets, etc...We work on this stuff every single day so if you've thought about it, 99% percent of the time, we probably have as well.

Respectfully, as operators of this equipment, these are ALL factors we take into account. Im not sure what this response was intended to communicate, other than you think your users who commonly have to figure out in the field how to overcome the limitations of lab created and tested HW and SW dont seem to appreciate the complexities when they are commonly managing multiple technologies at once, and the shortcomings contained therein.

Im a sw engineer who works in medical. and im sure im not the only one here in your forums. So you know, maybe keep the condescension down juuuuust a lil bit.
2021-12-25
Use props
Philippe GAUDENS
lvl.1
France

Is there any update about keeping focus associated with track points ?
2022-4-3
Use props
JoshODBrown
New

Canada

Please please please add the ability to set the focus motor position along with the waypoints in tracking mode. This would be such a killer feature!
2022-9-16
Use props
ZmootheOperator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187516 ft
Norway

Yes, please....! But, considering the age of this thread, it may just be wishful thinking
2022-10-31
Use props
Adrian C
lvl.2
Ireland

DJI-Paul Posted at 2020-11-12 03:48
We value feedback but please don't say its an oversight as you're only thinking about software. You need to consider the complexities of a focus motor, frequencies of vibration, steps, resolution, transmission packets, etc...We work on this stuff every single day so if you've thought about it, 99% percent of the time, we probably have as well.

I know this is an old post, but it's something that I'd love to see.

We value your reply BUT I also work in software engineering and would like to point out that we are not asking for any radical new features to be added, just the ability to use 2 existing features at the same time.
2023-8-14
Use props
wwwektor
New
Flight distance : 84902 ft
Poland

I've just installed new external dji focus motor for RSC2. I do not expect that it is not handling such simple thing like adding focus param to waypoints in tracking mode. It was obvious for me.. Right now I'm a little confused since it does not support somthing extreamly important to me. :/ :/ :/

Is there any update about implementation to Ronin App ?

BTW I'm embedded developer for more then 20 years. Having all drivers and support for Focus Motor in FW and keep it separated from tracing function smels like management decision then rather implementatnion problem. Am I right?

EDIT: It is even worse right now since I have found that focus tracking is implemented in Timelapse mode which is very very simillar to the tracking one. (I don't like it because focus points need to be saved separatly) but WHY same feature is not implemented in tracking mode ! ? ? ? Just WHY?
3-1 04:19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules