2260 25 2021-1-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 476483 ft
Brazil

Hello my friends!

I have been following the forum a little because I am not photographing with my mavic mini and mainly because there is no consistent firmware update, new functions (panorama, for example), I only saw "cosmetic" changes in the app that nothing improved in the visualization of the telemetry mainly the number of satellites and signal level. Sorry for my sincerity.
Well, let's get to it, I really like to photograph at night, because there is less wind, the birds are sleeping and no one complains, because the noise is imperceptible, in addition, of course, that in terms of photos both the Mini and Mini 2 are equivalent (12MP 4: 3): My problem is that if I increase the ISO sensitivity a lot and decrease the exposure time, the photos are grainy and if I do the opposite, that is, decrease the ISO and increase the exposure time, the photos stay " shaking. " Is there any solution, formula or filter to improve these images?

From now on, an excellent 2021 for everyone and may all (good) dreams come true

Here is an example photo: notice how shaky it is.
DJI_0578-3.JPG

2021-1-10
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Hi there Junior. I don't personally buy into the constant updates need... I don't even like updates unless there's a solid reason behind.

The Mini for me was everything that I wanted and the only thing I am missing I will add with an app (GPS tracking).

Anyway back to your request I believe you should pick your flight departure time wisely... winking the last daylight and cheating darkness ;)

I've made a complete video on scenes rolled on that time

Some pictures you can see here
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=210672
2021-1-10
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

m80116 Posted at 1-10 18:01
Hi there Junior. I don't personally buy into the constant updates need... I don't even like updates unless there's a solid reason behind.

The Mini for me was everything that I wanted and the only thing I am missing I will add with an app (GPS tracking).

I understand. Thank you I will try a time close to sunrise. Sunset is complicated, due to the movement of birds and the constant summer rains on those days.

Hugs
2021-1-10
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

There is no secret formula, the lens aperture of the MM is fixed at f/2.8, so you either increase the ISO, or you give it more time. I personally try to keep the ISO as low as possible, at the cost of long exposure times: I found the MM to be extremely stable - at least on a calm day - and I'd rather take multiple long-exposure shots at low ISO and hope to get a good one, than increasing the ISO... and be sure to get a grainy image.
The image below was taken at ISO 400 (which is the highest I would go) and 1s shutter, and - for my standards - it's quite good. I'm not an expert in post-processing, but I'm sure you can squeeze even better results from the MM sensor, if you go that route.
2020-11-01 19-38-21.jpg
2021-1-10
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Junior - Brazil. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. I will post a DJI Forum link with regards to this matter ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-204347-1-1.html ) and just a reminder that the sensors of the said DJI drone may not work properly if there would be not enough light while flying at night. have a safe and a happy flying always.
2021-1-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This is the holy grail for night photography.
Keep the ISO at 100 and take as much shots as you can.
Hope for some sharp ones.
2021-1-11
Use props
George210477
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

There is a simple thing you can do and always work like a charm: Put ISO at 1600 and increase exposure time...then...make 3-5photos from  same place...than import them in Adobe and use Auto Blend function...it will take the sharpest best exposed areas and mix them for a crazy result.Also you can use same principle for noise reduction, there are a few programs for stars photography that will clear the noise if you have 5-7 pictures taken...the result will be far over Mavic 2 Pro just using a MA2.
Don't forget to increase at RAW pictures the Shadows and the Contrast (Shadows will recover a part of light from very low light, Contrast will clear noise), and balance them as you like.
This is for entry level...

For Semi Pro and Pro, we use denoisers like RED...but is costly and if you dont make money with this, is no point to invest hundreds of USD in software, just use the above.
2021-1-11
Use props
George210477
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Romania

https://www.naturettl.com/stack- ... ce-noise-photoshop/

Read this, is same principle, night shooting for drone is mostly the same.
Also Sequator is making a good job if you trick it to believe that land is sky, and will provide you a crisp sharp image with a few small interventions in Photoshop if you need it.
Also ...is FREE
2021-1-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Keep the ISO low and take a few shots and pray.
2021-1-11
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

George210477 Posted at 1-11 02:00
https://www.naturettl.com/stack-star-photos-reduce-noise-photoshop/

Read this, is same principle, night shooting for drone is mostly the same.

Wow!! I will try this. Thank you very much
2021-1-11
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

George210477 Posted at 1-11 01:41
There is a simple thing you can do and always work like a charm: Put ISO at 1600 and increase exposure time...then...make 3-5photos from  same place...than import them in Adobe and use Auto Blend function...it will take the sharpest best exposed areas and mix them for a crazy result.Also you can use same principle for noise reduction, there are a few programs for stars photography that will clear the noise if you have 5-7 pictures taken...the result will be far over Mavic 2 Pro just using a MA2.
Don't forget to increase at RAW pictures the Shadows and the Contrast (Shadows will recover a part of light from very low light, Contrast will clear noise), and balance them as you like.
This is for entry level...

Thanks for the tips, however, the Mavic Mini does not have RAW, unlike the Mini 2.

2021-1-11
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

DAFlys Posted at 1-11 02:27
Keep the ISO low and take a few shots and pray.

Keep ISO low: OK, done. (the photo above was taken at ISO 100, exp 4 ")
Pray: That's what I've been doing the most.

Thanks
2021-1-11
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

120ccpm Posted at 1-10 20:04
There is no secret formula, the lens aperture of the MM is fixed at f/2.8, so you either increase the ISO, or you give it more time. I personally try to keep the ISO as low as possible, at the cost of long exposure times: I found the MM to be extremely stable - at least on a calm day - and I'd rather take multiple long-exposure shots at low ISO and hope to get a good one, than increasing the ISO... and be sure to get a grainy image.
The image below was taken at ISO 400 (which is the highest I would go) and 1s shutter, and - for my standards - it's quite good. I'm not an expert in post-processing, but I'm sure you can squeeze even better results from the MM sensor, if you go that route.

Thanks for the tip, by the way the secret is in the edition ... I will study more about it.
Hugs
2021-1-11
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

DJI Stephen Posted at 1-10 21:07
Hello there Junior - Brazil. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have posted. I will post a DJI Forum link with regards to this matter ( https://forum.dji.com/thread-204347-1-1.html ) and just a reminder that the sensors of the said DJI drone may not work properly if there would be not enough light while flying at night. have a safe and a happy flying always.

Thanks for the information Stephen, but I will try to follow the recommendations of friends here and maybe I can, as we say here in Brazil "get milk out of stone" with the Mavic Mini, despite the same sensor as the DJI Mini 2 does not have a RAW feature.
2021-1-11
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

Montfrooij Posted at 1-11 00:16
This is the holy grail for night photography.
Keep the ISO at 100 and take as much shots as you can.
Hope for some sharp ones.

Just like I said. But we keep trying, trying, trying ...
Thanks!
2021-1-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Junior - Brazil Posted at 1-11 05:27
Just like I said. But we keep trying, trying, trying ...
Thanks!

The only way!
2021-1-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Junior - Brazil Posted at 1-11 05:16
Keep ISO low: OK, done. (the photo above was taken at ISO 100, exp 4 ")
Pray: That's what I've been doing the most.

And take lots of shots.  
2021-1-11
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

120ccpm Posted at 1-10 20:04
There is no secret formula, the lens aperture of the MM is fixed at f/2.8, so you either increase the ISO, or you give it more time. I personally try to keep the ISO as low as possible, at the cost of long exposure times: I found the MM to be extremely stable - at least on a calm day - and I'd rather take multiple long-exposure shots at low ISO and hope to get a good one, than increasing the ISO... and be sure to get a grainy image.

Hi there 120ccpm, I took freedom to post-process your image to produce an interesting Full HD 1920x1080 sample result.

I think it's interesting and promising. Despite the Mini not being a first choice for night photography (or videography) I've always found its output plentiful of shadow details.

The very VERY GOOD thing is that since DJI is applying very few NR even in video about the same amount of gain is obtainable from both. The footage requires me a greater deal of filtering and enhancing but reaches quite close to the picutres, meaning that even without tweaking the camera settings you can extract interesting and worthy 1080p footage and stills from the Mavic Mini.

202727ye1ggm00xd0zwtnj_test.jpg
2021-1-11
Use props
120ccpm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1396755 ft
United States

m80116 Posted at 1-11 08:13
Hi there 120ccpm, I took freedom to post-process your image to produce an interesting Full HD 1920x1080 sample result.

I think it's interesting and promising. Despite the Mini not being a first choice for night photography (or videography) I've always found its output plentiful of shadow details.

Good to know that the MM produces photos (even without RAW) that allow for some good post-processing.  It's amazing how much detail is still available.
2021-1-11
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Italy

120ccpm Posted at 1-11 08:43
Good to know that the MM produces photos (even without RAW) that allow for some good post-processing.  It's amazing how much detail is still available.

I am glad you didn't sue me for Copyright infringement
2021-1-11
Use props
George210477
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Romania

Junior - Brazil Posted at 1-11 05:12
Thanks for the tips, however, the Mavic Mini does not have RAW, unlike the Mini 2.

No need for RAW...Jpeg is good.
2021-1-11
Use props
George210477
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Romania

2021-1-11
Use props
George210477
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Romania

The all point is to have info instead of clipping...for example: if you take the picture with too much white, you recover the black parts...if you take too much black, you recover white overexposed...is a balance, think at the perfect photo that have 3 components at least: Black...white....grayscale... In order to have all perfect, you need to obtain a perfect each...and combine them...is what modern camera have as HDR but make a crap because is trying to combine with a relative small computing power 3 images that are +0.5ev...0.00 ev...-0.5 ev....and gain all 3 components...this is why hdr image from DJI looks like crap if you use it in wrong light (for me looks like ... in all conditions, but...some tastes does not judge)...because is overexposing, underexposing and combine with normal, in order to have all 3 components...what happens in reality? one of components will be extremely noisy and will ruin your footage or picture....
This is why i advice: use only normal profile on MA2 and Mini....D-Cine and Dlog is for very good light....also make pictures with braketing...3 pics...and combine...will have all time better result than a large part of amateurs.Of course, image i have loaded needs also to be corrected as Highlights, needs some masks and also local restoration of details, the point is to show you how it can be salvaged a picture that had a lot of clipping in black (practically the info in that area is totally missing, you have just black parts).
Go to a noisier image with higher ISO, with 3 photos with noise you can process an acceptable one without noise as you salvage the info...but an underexposed photo without info...is like you want to build something just using air...
Cheers.

Edit: forgot to tell you: try for night manual settings like Iso 1600, FPS 25 and SS: 1/25 (will not go under your FPS)...but make very smooth moves, as you will not have the 180 degrees rule and you can experience jitters in image if move too fast the drone left-right. RED have a free tool on Google play in order to calculate maximum panning speed...is under name RED TOOLS
2021-1-11
Use props
George210477
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Romania

m80116 Posted at 1-11 08:13

Nice work !
2021-1-11
Use props
Junior - Brazil
Second Officer
Brazil

George210477 Posted at 1-11 13:02
The all point is to have info instead of clipping...for example: if you take the picture with too much white, you recover the black parts...if you take too much black, you recover white overexposed...is a balance, think at the perfect photo that have 3 components at least: Black...white....grayscale... In order to have all perfect, you need to obtain a perfect each...and combine them...is what modern camera have as HDR but make a crap because is trying to combine with a relative small computing power 3 images that are +0.5ev...0.00 ev...-0.5 ev....and gain all 3 components...this is why hdr image from DJI looks like crap if you use it in wrong light (for me looks like ... in all conditions, but...some tastes does not judge)...because is overexposing, underexposing and combine with normal, in order to have all 3 components...what happens in reality? one of components will be extremely noisy and will ruin your footage or picture....
This is why i advice: use only normal profile on MA2 and Mini....D-Cine and Dlog is for very good light....also make pictures with braketing...3 pics...and combine...will have all time better result than a large part of amateurs.Of course, image i have loaded needs also to be corrected as Highlights, needs some masks and also local restoration of details, the point is to show you how it can be salvaged a picture that had a lot of clipping in black (practically the info in that area is totally missing, you have just black parts).
Go to a noisier image with higher ISO, with 3 photos with noise you can process an acceptable one without noise as you salvage the info...but an underexposed photo without info...is like you want to build something just using air...

Very good tips. As soon as I can test them I will post some results here. And of course, if someone wants to post their results, great! More chances of success.
Thank you very much.
2021-1-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Junior - Brazil Posted at 1-11 05:25
Thanks for the information Stephen, but I will try to follow the recommendations of friends here and maybe I can, as we say here in Brazil "get milk out of stone" with the Mavic Mini, despite the same sensor as the DJI Mini 2 does not have a RAW feature.

Hi there Junior - Brazil. Thank you for the reply and for these information you have give. Have a safe and a happy flying always. .
2021-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules