P3A Drifts Right
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stephen.asbury
lvl.1

United States

Was preparing to shoot some fireworks vids this past weekend so I made a couple test flights.  First flight the quad acted as expected no issues other than the normal fpv range problems around 700-800m however during my second flight I experienced a drift to the right as if I was giving input to spin the quad clockwise, luckily I was able to fight it all the way down to the ground and safely land.  This really screwed up my plans as I decided not to fly again until I figured out what was going on.  Wind speeds were gusting to 10-15 mph but I know it wasn't the wind as I changed direction to land and still had to fight the clockwise rotation.  I'm running the latest firmware and like everyone else this is when all my problems started.
My question is what causes this, could it be the compass or IMU?

The only thing I can think of is that I moved the quad over to a glass table because the grass was so tall it caused the gimbal to error out.  The table did have a metal frame and the IMU error stopped once I put the quad back on the ground.  Could the table have caused the sensors to become unreliable even though the error stopped?

I went ahead and calibrated the IMU yesterday in my house on a level surface but wasn't able to perform a test flight due to weather.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

2015-7-6
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Also recalibrate your RC
2015-7-6
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

>> however during my second flight I experienced a drift to the right as if I was giving input to spin the quad clockwise

This is usually fixed by an IMU calibration done on a level surface.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-7-6
Use props
stephen.asbury
lvl.1

United States

I tested with IMU calibrated and the same results on first flight pulling to the right, second flight I calibrated the RC which didn't help either.  Soon as I can find a dashware application for my Mac I'll post a video.

2015-7-7
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Compass calibration?
2015-7-8
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Definitely Calibrate the joysticks.

Calibrate the IMU.

That will solve it.
2015-7-8
Use props
challenger451
lvl.2

United States

I found turning of VPS (VISUAL POSITIONING SYSTEM) helped eliminate drift in one of my shoots.  You could experiment with that as well.
2015-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules