Is the Mavic Air 2S Worth It?
2405 3 2021-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneTechnoGeek
lvl.1

Canada

Is the Mavic Air 2S Worth It?
Like many of us in the droning community, I am one of those that have eagerly awaited the release of the DJI Air 2S. I think that it’s a pretty good drone and I for one have already ordered it. Yes, I also own the Mavic Air 2 and I think that both are worth keeping simply because I have grown to love this old bird and I can use the MA2 for more casual flights now rather than a primary photography tool.

The Air 2S costs $999 for the basic kit and $1,299 for the Fly More Combo while the Mavic Air 2 will set you back around $799/$988. There’s a $200 to $300 difference between the two. For comparison, the Mavic 2 Pro is currently priced at $1,599.

So, is the Mavic Air 2S worth it given its price point? I say yes, because of these four main selling points.

Disclaimer: These are just my opinions, and I may be wrong, please roast me in the comments section if I am.
1-inch sensor
The 1-inch sensor of the Air 2S is its key selling point. “The one” is a big improvement from the ½-inch sensor of the Mavic Air 2 and is at par with the Mavic 2 Pro. The Air 2S is the first “prosumer” drone (unless you consider the Autel Evo 2 Pro which I personally categorize in the same class as the Mavic 2 Pro) that has this sensor size.

The 1-inch sensor means that it can get more detail out of shots and can also perform extremely well under low light conditions. The camera is also capable of 5.4k video recording which can then be compressed to 4k for even better richness and detail of colors.

Now, we can go on and on about which resolution is better (20MP vs 48MP on the Mavic Air 2) and aperture type (fixed vs. variable on the Mavic 2 Pro) but I honestly think that the bigger sensor size equals better footage overall.
Intelligent Flight Modes
The features that we know and love are still with the DJI Air 2S. There’s still the ever favorite Quickshots, Panorama, Timelapse, SmartPhoto, FocusTrack, AEB, and the ability to capture RAW images.

An exciting new feature available only on the Air 2S is Mastershots. While details on this are scarce as of the moment (you can clarify this further in the comments section!), this feature allows the drone to “perform ten different maneuvers of a subject and make short recordings” as well as to edit it with ease in-app.

DJI has always been known to make creative content very easy, and the Air 2S would seem like one of the best while also adding a layer of safety with four obstacle sensors and APAS 4.0. This can be best demonstrated with ActiveTrack 4.0 which improves the tracking and obstacle sensing algorithm of the craft.
Compatibility of Accessories
If you’re planning to get the Air 2S alongside the Mavic Air 2 or even if you’re going to get rid of it, you can take comfort in the fact that external dimensions of both crafts are essentially the same. This means that landing gear, strobe lights, and other accessories can fit with each other.

And yes, the batteries are compatible with each other! Bad luck for filters, though, as the increased camera size will make that impossible. However, it is good to know that the Fly More Combo already includes filters which, along with the extra batteries and other goodies, make it a pretty good deal for its price.
O3 Transmission
Perhaps the best reason to upgrade to the DJI Air 2S is the upgraded OcuSync 3.0 or O3. Now using four dual-frequency antennas instead of two, the AIr 2S can provide outstanding range and clarity of up to 12 kilometers or around 7.5 miles if you’re living in an FCC region.

This also pretty much ensures that FPV Goggles V2 compatibility would be on the way, perhaps not now but in future updates.

So for these reasons, plus more, I’m gonna have to say that the DJI Air 2S is well worth the price. It has the qualities of a Mavic 2 Pro while still being accessible to middle consumers that want a lightweight drone that can take semi-professional to professional quality photos. It’s a very good investment in my opinion especially if you want to make money off your shots.

2021-4-15
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not worth it in Europe without the EU C classification mark.
2021-4-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DroneTechnoGeek. Good day and thank you for sharing these information for the DJI Air 2S. In addition, to this I will post a DJI link ( https://www.dji.com/air-2s?site=brandsite&from=nav ) where in you can find the specifications and frequently asked questions for the DJI Air 2S. Thank you for your support.
2021-4-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Depends on your needs I guess.
2021-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now