Battery storage
1519 12 2015-7-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shamarmarcus
lvl.1

United States

Im interested to know how people store therre battery. I normally just leave it inside the phantom
2015-7-22
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

I own about 15 different batteries, most of them more-or-less "standard" LiPo batteries used for remote control planes. I keep them in a steel ammo box - you can find them in many places - flea markets often have them for sale at greatly reduced prices (relative to an armed forces "surplus" store).

There are special bags manufactured for the purpose of storing/charging LiPo batteries. They aren't cheap and many would argue they are "overkill." It's your choice. My "safe" approach is to never use a damaged battery, exercise caution when charging LiPo batteries - that primarily means never leaving them unattended while charging - and, by storing them in a somewhat fire-proof container, if they do burst into flames, they're in an environment that's somewhat protected.

LiPo batteries spontaneously bursting into flame is somewhat overblown. Yes, they can blow up, and yes, they can catch on fire, but, generally speaking, not with "normal" use. Be careful with batteries involved in a crash. Never overcharge LiPo batteries. If you cruise the web and look for LiPo battery safety, there are lots of good tips and advice about the care of your batteries.
2015-7-22
Use props
Absolonkort
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Read pages 3 & 4 from the battery manual:

Battery Manual

2015-7-22
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I just leave mine in the Microraptor case where the batterys go - Adam
2015-7-22
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

in my bag
2015-7-22
Use props
editfx
lvl.2

United States

If you watch some of the videos out there on lipo charging and storing you would think these batteries are more prone to ignite and/or explode than dynamite or C4.
I realize that they feel a need to be extra cautious on their instructional videos and that's probably a good thing, but they can also scare you into not wanting to be within a 200' of these things.
I keep mine stored in a bunker with 12" thick steel reinforced concrete walls, that's buried 20' deep.  Unless I'm using them, then I just keep a bunch in my pockets.
2015-7-22
Use props
shamarmarcus
lvl.1

United States

Oh thanks. I realised no one said they leave it inside the phantom...
2015-7-23
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

shamarmarcus@ho Posted at 2015-7-24 03:33
Oh thanks. I realised no one said they leave it inside the phantom...

no 1 in the phantom and the rest in the bag
2015-7-23
Use props
Midi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

Lipobags, each I its own bag.
I would not leave a lipo inside the mr at all when not In use. The reason not to leave them inside is because during transport
The contacts can produce a short, there was one instance where an Inspire had a short
During a flight in an airplane and burned the mr and part of the case.
2015-7-24
Use props
P3PO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16083 ft
United States

Like many, I store my batteries in my case with my P3P. I charge them up and put them away in case. if it is more than 10 days the batteries discharge. Since I fly almost daily the batteries don't enter discharge mode. If I don't fly I can trust that the batteries will take care of them self's.
2015-7-24
Use props
shamarmarcus
lvl.1

United States

Midi Posted at 2015-7-24 16:24
Lipobags, each I its own bag.
I would not leave a lipo inside the mr at all when not In use. The rea ...

What do you mean by a short?
2015-7-24
Use props
Midi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

a short-circuit
2015-7-25
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is not recommended that you store a battery inside your craft.  
2015-7-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules