Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

500mtr Height limit mmmm dont think so....check out 3:27  

2015-7-23
Use props
genestlaw
lvl.1

Canada

Wow.  What is that antenna attachment? Would love one.
2015-7-23
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

More than that, which is also a mystery, why did it continue to climb while over the home point? Was rth not working?  I've had mine to 1600 feet (I'm set to imperial so I don't know what 500 is in metric) I didn't try and push it. I did see he got a warning at 500. Strange indeed.
2015-7-23
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

He was holding the left stick up after initiating RTH. There is apparently a bug in the current firmware that does not enforce the 500m limit while returning to home.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-7-23
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

genestlaw Posted at 2015-7-23 23:05
Wow.  What is that antenna attachment? Would love one.

It looks like a wind surfer antenna booster. You can build one like this:

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-7-23
Use props
genestlaw
lvl.1

Canada

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-23 23:15

https://www.youtube.com/ ...

It looks a lot more sturdy than the diy boosters.  Hard plastic body? Would love to know how you made it or where you bought it.  
2015-7-23
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Flying above 400 feet AGL (Above Ground Level) is a great way to encourage the FAA to BAN ALL HOBBY DRONES in the USA forever.
If enough DJI hobyists keep flying above 400 feet AGL and ignoring the FAA guidelines... The FAA will be forced to BANN ALL HOBBY DRONES in the USA.
2015-7-23
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-7-23
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

ahh. I see.
2015-7-23
Use props
L8again
lvl.3

Canada

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-7-23 23:06
More than that, which is also a mystery, why did it continue to climb while over the home point? Was ...

A meter is 39", so 500m would be right around 1600 ft.
2015-7-23
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

Must agree with Fulgerite and others. Almost feel like asking the moderator to start a Sticky thread titled, " PLEASE DO NOT FLY OVER 400 FEET AGL IN THE USA!"

At the very least, in my humble opinion, try not to publicise it widely on the web and tell the entire world. It IS a wonderful and enjoyable accomplishemnt, but our friends at the FAA can read and watch web videos like the rest of us (though they should not pay anyone to do that!), and so can the doggone gossipy nosy busy bodies who do not own or understand these fun machines, and have nothing better to do than make noise, raise flags, and complain anyway. Go ahead and have fun, but don't announce it too loudly if you go to 12,000 feet altitude in US...please?
2015-7-23
Use props
drone_lad
lvl.3

United States

Pardon my candor, but it appears to be a video from someone in "JERKistan".
2015-7-23
Use props
kevinr621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36427 ft
United States

He is in Australia... do THEY have that height restriction there?  Before blasting, we may want to find out what the LOCAL restrictions are... JMO
2015-7-23
Use props
daviskw2004
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12890 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-23 23:15

https://www.youtube.com/ ...

Just wondering why he needed the booster antenna? His max height reached was 700 meters was it not? A far cry from the 2,000 meter advertised range.

Butch
2015-7-23
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-7-23 23:12
He was holding the left stick up after initiating RTH. There is apparently a bug in the current firm ...

Interesting...do you have any more info on this or an existing thread?

I wonder what would happen if you did the following:
1. Flew to 500m limit
2. Activated RTH
3. Ascended to >500m
4. Cancelled RTH

Would it descend automatically? Would it prevent you from going higher?
2015-7-23
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-24 00:56
Flying above 400 feet is a great way to encourage the FAA to BAN ALL HOBBY DRONES in the USA forever ...

You can fly 400 feet above ground level while also being over 400 feet from your take off altitude. The altitude on the Phantom reports the altitude relative to takeoff point, while the law specifies the limit of 400 feet above ground level. The two could be entirely different measurements, e.g. flying up the side of a mountain maintaining 400 feet above the ground
2015-7-23
Use props
bastell
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1526929 ft
Australia

kevinr621 Posted at 2015-7-24 10:00
He is in Australia... do THEY have that height restriction there?  Before blasting, we may want to f ...

I'v just posted a link to a vid and no its not me im in Australia  and the guy in the vid is in jerkastan or somewhere lol ...Anywho I thin k his antennas are a similar to these http://www.dynamic3dsolutions.co ... b-24c6-97c83d1fca3c
2015-7-23
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

kevinr621 Posted at 2015-7-24 10:00
He is in Australia... do THEY have that height restriction there?  Before blasting, we may want to f ...

That guys somewhere in the baltic states or Russia going by the language used.
400' feet restriction by law here in Oz, NZ, UK,  and I think Canada...probably the same in a lot of other places now and in the near future.

Bizarre bug though. Surprised he wasn't able to get full signal at that height...I guess it's the way the P3's own antenna are orientated when directly above.
2015-7-23
Use props
DMB2015
lvl.2

Canada

ScottyT Posted at 2015-7-24 13:52
That guys somewhere in the baltic states or Russia going by the language used.
400' feet restrictio ...

In Canada it is 90 metres or 295 feet.
2015-7-24
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Oliver Posted at 2015-7-24 11:02
You can fly 400 feet above ground level while also being over 400 feet from your take off altitude ...

While we are talking about safety...  Let's also mention that:

1.  We shoudl not be flying within 5 miles of an airport without express permission from that airport's flight control tower.

2. And we shoudl NOT be flying anywhere near a FIRE where fire fighting aircraft may be in use.
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org ... -or-near-wildfires/

3. We shoudl NOT be flying over people or crowds.

4. We should be respectng other people's right to privacy.  If asked by a land owner NOT to fly over his priovate property we should comply.

5. We should NOT be flying on public lands (Including parks) where a no fly zone is posted.

I strongly recommend Joining and supporting the Association of Model Aeronautics.  AMA.  Membership also includes AMA Liability Protection that applies to bodily injury or property damage caused by an AMA member.  Support the AMA Join today: http://www.modelaircraft.org

2015-7-24
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-25 00:58

1.  We shoudl not be flying within  ...

Why are you telling me this?

I live in the UK, the laws here are even more strict than yours. I am also a member of the equivalent of the AMA here in the UK
2015-7-24
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I imagine the reason his signal is dropping out is because he's operating out of the back of a large metallic object....(his car), not to mention poor antenna orientation
2015-7-24
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Oliver Posted at 2015-7-25 04:54
Why are you telling me this?

I live in the UK, the laws here are even more strict than yours. I a ...

Sorry...  It was a general statement on the thread...  

Not specifically directed at you sir.
2015-7-24
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-25 07:42
Sorry...  It was a general statement on the thread...  

Not specifically directed at you sir.

Sorry for being a bit terse earlier...I was having a bad day, didn't mean to sound rude. Those safety recommendations are sensible. There was a thread on here just recently in which someone's Phantom dropped out the sky and nearly hit someone else or his property, so perhaps we could even recommend not to fly over houses etc. (here in the UK it's illegal anyway)
2015-7-24
Use props
kevinr621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36427 ft
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-7-25 00:58

1.  We shoudl not be flying within  ...

just joined!
2015-7-26
Use props