Mini 2 Remote ID Question
2979 8 2022-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

New hobby flyer here.  I'd think this was a topic beat to death but I'm surprised a forum search returned very little...

Anyway, I recently purchased a Mini 2 and fly for recreation only...  No videos posted to Youtube, no photos for others.  As I understand things, I qualify for the 44809 Exception to the 107 law, and because the Mini 2 is under 250 grams I do not have to register it with the FAA.  I did get my TRUST certificate as required for all drone pilots.

When it comes to the new Remote ID laws, I cannot seem to find black & white information regarding whether or not the Mini 2 will require Remote ID for recreational flight as stated above...  On the FAA webpage they say:

Which Drone Pilots Must Comply With the Rule?
All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft.

So, as I am not currently required to register my Mini 2, does that also mean I will be exempt from Remote ID so long as I remain a recreational pilot?
Thanks in advance.

2022-2-22
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

Doing a bit more research, I note that aviation attorney Jonathan Rupprecht has posted his take at that the Ultimate Guide to Remote Identification, and says the following:

Recreational flying of the under 250 gram aircraft (0.55 pounds) does not have to be registered or transmit remote id.  Non-recreational FPV flying would require registration and remote ID even if they were flying under 250 grams.

This seems to infer that so long as you stay within the narrowly defined scope of pure recreational flight (no monetized YouTube videos), a Mini 2 may not be required to adhere to the new Remote ID laws...

edit - link: https://jrupprechtlaw.com/remote-identification/

2022-2-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

TomKatt Posted at 2-22 07:09
Doing a bit more research, I note that aviation attorney Jonathan Rupprecht has posted his take at that the Ultimate Guide to Remote Identification, and says the following:

Jonathan is spot on and you understand correctly provided you remain solely a recreational flyer.  
2022-2-22
Use props
FlyingOverABQ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103245 ft
United States

Non-recreational FPV flying would require registration and remote ID even if they were flying under 250 grams.

what does this mean if we are flying the Mini 2 via the camera, which I imagine is FPV flying, but doing it recreationally?
2022-2-22
Use props
FlyingOverABQ
lvl.2
United States

I did get my TRUST certificate as required for all drone pilots.

This is the first I have heard of a TRUST certificate.  How/where do you get one?
2022-2-22
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

FlyingOverABQ Posted at 2-22 15:13
Non-recreational FPV flying would require registration and remote ID even if they were flying under 250 grams.

My understanding is that the key term here is whether or not you are flying recreationally…. ANY non-recreational flight - regardless of drone weight - would require full 107 compliance, including Remote ID.  This is where a lot of Mini pilots get into trouble when they post their drone videos on a monetized YouTube account...  That is considered non-recreational flight, requiring 107 compliance.
2022-2-22
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

FlyingOverABQ Posted at 2-22 15:15
I did get my TRUST certificate as required for all drone pilots.

This is the first I have heard of a TRUST certificate.  How/where do you get one?

I may have misspoken - the TRUST certification is required for all 44809 exemptions (recreational).  I’m not certain if it is required for 107 pilots, I believe it was intended to ensure all pilots have some kind of formal certification.  EVERY drone pilot in the US is required to have taken either the TRUST or 107 test and carry proof of that on their person so they can provide it to law enforcement or FAA officials if asked.

I went to the Pilot Institute website - the TRUST test is free wherever you take it.

https://pilotinstitute.com/why-trust/

2022-2-22
Use props
FlyingOverABQ
lvl.2
United States

TomKatt Posted at 2-22 15:27
I may have misspoken - the TRUST certification is required for all 44809 exemptions (recreational).  I’m not certain if it is required for 107 pilots, I believe it was intended to ensure all pilots have some kind of formal certification.  EVERY drone pilot in the US is required to have taken either the TRUST or 107 test and carry proof of that on their person so they can provide it to law enforcement or FAA officials if asked.

I went to the Pilot Institute website - the TRUST test is free wherever you take it.

Seems like it is required.  The website says

The TRUST requirement applies to all drone pilots who fly drones for recreational purposes. This applies even to drone pilots who hold Part 107 certificates.
2022-2-22
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

So I noticed the most recent v01.05 FW notes indicate "Added support for Japanese RID requirements"...  Isn't the due date for manufacturers selling in the US to have RID capability in their products by 9/16/22 ?

That's coming up VERY quickly...  And the rule was found Constitutional by the courts last week in the case brought by Race Day Quads vs FAA.

It's important to remember that even though the Mini 2 weighs less than 250g, the RID applies if you fly the drone for any commercial (ie roof inspection / real estate) or for-profit purpose (including monetized YouTube videos).

I was surprised that DJI did not mention anything about RID for the recently released "Pro" Mini 3...  You would have thought they built in that ability knowing this will be required soon.

Edit - If it comes down to requiring an additional RID module for broadcast, that will be a double whammy because it will push the weight over the 250g limit...  It's difficult to locate any RID technical information, so I'm unsure if the Japanese requirements are the same as US / EU.

2022-8-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules