DJI MINI 2 fall into the water - full recovery, maybe waterproof?
5941 18 2022-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HUNkisvex
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2088219 ft
Guatemala

Hey there,

Just wanted to share with others, since I couldn't find a normal article with similar issues.
Long story short I'm traveling in Guatemala and for some reason my drone lost 2m altitude within secounds without me touching the contollers and splashed into the shallow water.
Within 10-20 secounds I jumped after the drone, got it out (the light was still on) and I removed the battery immediatelly.

Here step by step what I did, battery removed already

1 DAY
1. Freak out since I landed an other drone just a month ago in the water (my fault).
2. I found an electric pump and tried to dry it out as quick as possible from every direction ( at least for 10 minutes just to make sure). I have heared that someone dried it out with an oven on 40C so if you have an oven you can try that as well.
3. I left the drone outside with the battery next to it.

2-3 DAY
1. Already read through every articles, no chance to do service or repair it by myself.
2. No sun so basically just left at the house for drying, DIDN'T TURN IT ON.

4 DAY
1. Try to turn it on, working, do a quick hovering test, working but can't turn it off.
2. Be happy leave an other day for drying.

5 DAY
1. Turn on try to turn off, no possibilty just by removing the battery.
2. Avoid the previous line, be happy it's working go for a test round near to an opened field.
3. Connects quickly, reach 14-17 satelites, homepoint updated fly for 5 min feel comfortable, without warning within 100m it disconnect, impossible to reconnect but luckly return to the home poin.
4. Can't turn it off, one light is still on (from the 4 underneath).

6 DAY
1. Repeat the previous day, but now disconnects within secounds next to the controller and the right and left side leds are on the middle two is off.

7-12 DAYS
1. Stayed in the box and praying

13 DAY
1. Go for a test run, everything works fine, maybe it is moving a bit more while hovering but it's fine, but the camera is foggy
2. Start the dron with 30-30 minutes with 2 batteries and just hoover it in one spot.
3. Satisfied and happy.

14 DAY
Everything goes back to normal

I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I'm just so happy about this, hopefully you won't have to go through all this trouble ;)
2022-3-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there HUNkisvex. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these interesting information and your experience with us. Since this unfortunate event happened on your DJI Mini 2 and if you feel that your DJI Mini 2 is not working properly on your next flights. I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for assistance. Thank you and fly safe always.
2022-3-3
Use props
ScoutC03
lvl.3
Flight distance : 152644 ft
Finland

I have saved wet electronics by rinsing them thoroughly with distilled water (or distilled water-isopropanol mix to expedite drying time) and left them to dry for a several days on the boiler piping at 30-40C, if you can not take it apart. Most problems in wet electronics/PCB's are due to water having ingredients that are electrically conductive, pure water is not conductive. Further more when dirty water dries out, there will be residue left behind that might be conductive as well. Of course if there is components that absorbs water, they might not be salvageable with any methods and rinsing might actually make things worse, I don't think there is too many of those in the drone though as seen drones saved after long time being under water. I hope I don't need to try this out with my drone.
2022-3-3
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Please dont fly this over people or property,   its just a matter of time before it fails due to slow corrosion setting in.
2022-3-4
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You may think all is well, but there's no telling what slow corrosion damage might be occurring inside the drone. A nasty accident might occur at an inopportune moment.  Be careful.
2022-3-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not to mention using the same battery.....
2022-3-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'd toss the battery out just to be safe.  Also please be on the lookout for corrosion as it will inevitably start...just a fact when electronics get wet....even faster when they get wet from salt water.  
2022-3-4
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 3-4 15:07
I'd toss the battery out just to be safe.  Also please be on the lookout for corrosion as it will inevitably start...just a fact when electronics get wet....even faster when they get wet from salt water.

They were my thoughts as well.

Battery sounds dodgy.

But the big question - was this salt water or fresh water?
2022-3-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

No Original Thought Posted at 3-5 03:59
They were my thoughts as well.

Battery sounds dodgy.

But the big question - was this salt water or fresh water?

I don't think he said what type of water but sure hope it wasn't salt water.  

2022-3-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

as others have said, in a couple months or three, it will probably just die for good.  please set your expectations accordingly.
2022-3-5
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unless it was saltwater, I do not 100% agree with it having issues down the road (see last paragraph).

Their 14 days turn around does not bode well though, that was too long and plenty of time for corrosion to occur, it may not have corroded enough to cause issues yet, but any more moisture might just tip it over the edge, i.e. high humidity, fog, rain, mist, snow etc

My P4P ditched in 2ft of water upside down about 3 years ago i think it was, maybe 2, anyhoo, it's still fine to this day, i binned the battery of course and our during methods were different, i cracked my casing open, stuck it in a cooling down oven (hot enough to hurt hand but not plastic), once the oven had cooled off, i then stuck it in the cupboard with the hot water tank for 24 hours, it's been fine ever since.
2022-3-5
Use props
WKKL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 681283 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Bashy Posted at 3-5 20:33
Unless it was saltwater, I do not 100% agree with it having issues down the road (see last paragraph).

Their 14 days turn around does not bode well though, that was too long and plenty of time for corrosion to occur, it may not have corroded enough to cause issues yet, but any more moisture might just tip it over the edge, i.e. high humidity, fog, rain, mist, snow etc

Hi..

Whats the purpose of the Stuck it in the cu[board with the hot water tank?

Just curious.
2022-3-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WKKL Posted at 3-7 16:44
Hi..

Whats the purpose of the Stuck it in the cu[board with the hot water tank?

It gets hot in there, so its the same purpose as the oven, just not as hot and over a longer period.
2022-3-7
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Glad you recovered it!  Thank your lucky stars.
2022-3-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I don't agree with the comments about corrosion, unless it was dunked in salt water. If so, then it needs to be rinsed out with distilled water. Basically treat it according to post #4.
2022-3-8
Use props
HUNkisvex
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2088219 ft
Brazil

Hey there, wow I totally forgot about this post
So far I still didn't expected any issue after 2 months, it is flying normally as I would expect, hopefully it stays as it is now.
It was NOT salty water and about the battery, I have 5 batteries I use all of them and I have no clue which one could be the one which fell into the water.
Hopefully everything stays the same, and safe fly for all of you.
2022-5-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you look in the logs for the crash flight the battery's serial number is recorded it the log....or should be.
2022-5-5
Use props
Viper2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23944 ft
United States

I was flying over water and bumped a tree limb that was hanging over the water and it crashed and sunk to the bottom.  I recovered the drone within a minute or two.   The video stopped automatically when it hit the tree, but after I recovered it  it started recording again.

I removed the battery and lightly shook all of the water out that I could (while securing the gimble).  Took it back inside and wiped it down and then used a hair dryer to blow it out for about 15 minutes with a heat setting.  I was pretty confident that it was dry  after that and let it set for a bit and then took the hair dryer to it again for about another 5-10 minutes and then let it sit for approximately another 6 hours.

I put the battery back in and powered it up and it seemed to work normally, but then displayed a better error.  Tried another battery and no issues ... worked fine and took it for another flight. No issues.  I think in addition to heat the moving air helps to remove the moisture.   I'll likely continue a series of blowing it out with the hair dryer and heat just to be safe.  If all of the moisture is removed quickly and completely there shouldn't be any residual corrosion....... time will tell.

2022-8-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Viper2 Posted at 8-28 12:58
I was flying over water and bumped a tree limb that was hanging over the water and it crashed and sunk to the bottom.  I recovered the drone within a minute or two.   The video stopped automatically when it hit the tree, but after I recovered it  it started recording again.

I removed the battery and lightly shook all of the water out that I could (while securing the gimble).  Took it back inside and wiped it down and then used a hair dryer to blow it out for about 15 minutes with a heat setting.  I was pretty confident that it was dry  after that and let it set for a bit and then took the hair dryer to it again for about another 5-10 minutes and then let it sit for approximately another 6 hours.

Hi, there. We are greatly sorry to hear about that. For this situation, you are advised to contact our team via support@dji.com and send it back for further testing. Thank you.
2022-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules