4367 36 2022-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ianwood
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5236 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'll keep posting about this until someone pays attention... It's unacceptable.

2022-5-13
Use props
oberschneider.com
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 4730358 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Thanks for posting this, Ian. Let's try to bring this to DJI's attention, as it's definitely a huge issue!
2022-5-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. May we know if this is the original file? We would appreciate it if you could tell us more details.
2022-5-14
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Here is untouched source file.

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... S9IlspY?usp=sharing

All manual settings: ISO 100, WB 5600, 1/60th, ProRes, 5K, 29.97. File is 23GB. Note to everyone this is copyright material and is being shared for evaluation purposes only.

You will find flickering at:
00:00:12:23
00:01:49:06
2022-5-14
Use props
Spazoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3148419 ft
  • >>>
United States

I see it. Hopefully DJI can fix it.
2022-5-14
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I was really mad about flickering but since I put wide lens flickering is way better
2022-5-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks like something went wrong there indeed.
2022-5-25
Use props
Travelwild
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7759249 ft
India

The 4000usd drone which should be professional has 100 times more problems than a 400usd drone. I'm really frustrated
2022-5-25
Use props
TeddyBozeman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152044 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just did some ProRes 422 HLG the other day and most if not all of my footage has this issue.
2022-6-6
Use props
MeAtHome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84104 ft
Switzerland

Do you have the same issue when using the mp4 format?
2022-6-7
Use props
SFC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10322858 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am having the same issue here. Very annoyed about this. I thought I had a good hyperlapse but it has been ruined by this flickering problem. All of the settings were set to manual, including tone. I do not use Auto at all. This is not right. I had a test HLG video that also had a brief flickering.  I don't think this is isolated to Pro Res. This hyperlapse flickering issue seems worse. I have just uploaded the video so it might take a little bit to see the high resolution version. This is really inexcusable.

I did not know the existence of this problem until yesterday. I wonder how many videos and photos that I have taken that are affected by this issue. I have not have a chance to look through all of it but skipped ahead for this hyperlapse because I was excited to see what it looks like until I saw the result...Very disappointed because this drone had so much potential.

Here is the link:
Edited

Unedited

2022-6-10
Use props
SFC
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

MeAtHome Posted at 6-7 03:52
Do you have the same issue when using the mp4 format?

I have seen a few flickering on the MP4 videos, with the normal, HLG, and this hyperlapse video put together by the drone.  So far, it doesn't seem to affect the D-LOG versions.  I am looking through the videos.
2022-6-10
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI kindly look into flicking issue.

I also have it. It is very easy to replicate / recreate / test. I believe I also had flickering in D-log as well and HLG. Seems other people have it in Normal too. The easiest way to test flickering is to remove ND filter and on a bright day with partially cloudy or sunny to fly in different directions changing gimbal angle so that lighting conditions change. Pointing gimbal higher to capture the sky and lower to capture the ground, yaw and pitch this way facing sun, yawing away from sun and pitching the camera. Especially doing this w/o ND filters on a bright day would produce a lot of flicking tested in HLG and D-Log. It seems flickering is less with ND filter attached, but still there, especially when filming sky and the ground and it would be easily seen in the bright sky area flickering.

Thanks in advance, Mike.
P.S. Tested on Mavic 3 Cine in H.265 and ProRes. (HLG, D-Log). Resolution 5k 50fps.
2022-6-11
Use props
SFC
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I would like to hear from DJI about this.  Is this a hardware or software problem?  If it is a software issue, can it be fixed? Sooner or later?
2022-6-12
Use props
SFC
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Looks like the flickering is gone when I set the hyperlapse to 2 seconds instead of 1 second.  So it might be a software issue.  Still no solution for the Normal, HLG, D-LOG, ProRes issues.  
2022-6-13
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Glad to hear SFC. I also have a feeling it might be software issue.
2022-6-13
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

It is easy to spot on, if you get same footage and look at hystogram in DaVinci or any other program...If hysto is jumping very fast, you get flickering.

So DJI should see WHY if ALL the parameters have manual settings (FPS, ISO, WB, SS, F), still 2 frames have different settings creating the flickers...
2022-6-21
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

That is a good point Geo. Histogram should show that like you mentioned, especially when shooting all manual settings, it still happens. I have a feeling it is a software issue /  bug, not a hardware issue. DJI folks please look into it.
2022-6-22
Use props
MattRat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5180 ft
United States

I have the same problem with the Mavic 3 flicker. Unedited clip. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u8Lit9ve_vxjkLFH4keav1UtMLcGkX7O/view?usp=sharing
2022-7-4
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

More flicker. The worst I've seen yet. DJI needs to address this. This is unusable footage from a $5,000 drone.
(If you can't see it, replay it and look at the sky. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.)  

2022-7-8
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

+1 I also notice flicker in the sky, i.e. in HLG.
2022-7-8
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I hope we're talking about the same issue, but trees/grass flicker so badly in my footage on sunny days, it's really distracting. Only drone camera to behave this way...

Another issue to throw onto the Mavic 3 pile I guess!
2022-7-9
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

ianwood Posted at 7-8 13:59
More flicker. The worst I've seen yet. DJI needs to address this. This is unusable footage from a $5,000 drone.
(If you can't see it, replay it and look at the sky. Once you see it, you cannot unsee it.)  

You're talking about how the sky almost completely changed color for a few frames in the middle of the clip?  At first I didn't see it as I was focused on the boats, but when you focus on the sky and are in full screen, it's obvious... and terrible.  And this is in ProRes??
2022-7-11
Use props
sky_makai
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3397539 ft
  • >>>
United States

SFC Posted at 6-10 19:32
I am having the same issue here. Very annoyed about this. I thought I had a good hyperlapse but it has been ruined by this flickering problem. All of the settings were set to manual, including tone. I do not use Auto at all. This is not right. I had a test HLG video that also had a brief flickering.  I don't think this is isolated to Pro Res. This hyperlapse flickering issue seems worse. I have just uploaded the video so it might take a little bit to see the high resolution version. This is really inexcusable.

I did not know the existence of this problem until yesterday. I wonder how many videos and photos that I have taken that are affected by this issue. I have not have a chance to look through all of it but skipped ahead for this hyperlapse because I was excited to see what it looks like until I saw the result...Very disappointed because this drone had so much potential.

Wow, great timelapse but that's really unfortunate about the flicker!
2022-7-11
Use props
SFC
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

sky_makai Posted at 7-11 17:12
Wow, great timelapse but that's really unfortunate about the flicker!

Thanks!!!!  
2022-7-15
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Also identified the flickering issue in Full Manual mode.
Seems that camera does not stay in all manual mode and change the exposure...can be an error in algorithm, but I am afraid that is the sensor that is just rubbish and have voltage variations...when convert DAC, that is visible...
This is why it can be seen also in video if you play frame by frame that there is a flicker at certain frames, like some other users reported...
Will look into it in weekend, but if is from sensor DAC, then DJI will face a total recall of this drones, as is a PRO drone, not a Mini 2
2022-7-21
Use props
CoronaViking
lvl.1

Norway

I still have Mavic 3 flickering on bright sunny day. Is there any workaround ?
Or, how to fix it in Premiere Pro ?
2022-8-23
Use props
JJungPhoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 946362 ft
  • >>>
United States

How the heck has this NOT been fixed yet? And DJI remains completely silent? This seems like it could be a much bigger issue as high-paying consumers are being led on by a non functioning camera, and this isn't isolated, this is probably happening a lot more than just those that jump onto the forums or notice the flicker.
2022-8-30
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Well, no fix until now...
Can be fixed with Anti-Flickering, but will look a little odd, totally not Pro.
I have seen it at grey shadows, in special at clouds, flickering is very distinct...
2022-9-1
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

UPDATE VIDEO IS STILL COMPRESSING as of the time of this post

Yikes!  So glad I researched this as I almost forked out $250 for an antiflickering program for TL and HL.  (I do professional video and have to opt for the commercial version).  Even the free trial couldn't correct it...  This thread gives me both hope and frustration.  Hope because DJI will need to fix this, it is completely unacceptable and technically not functioning as advertised.  

Here's what my problem looks like (and initially I thought I was capturing lightning strikes or just missing the strike but seeing the residual light???  But clearly that is not the case (I will post more examples)  

(I just uploaded this to Skypixel 40 minutes before this post, apparently at this time it is still compressing, if it is not corrected soon I will reupload direct)

Thunderstorm Hyperlapse Flicker

At first I thought it could be a white balance issue and maybe it is...  Reason being, I was operating with automatic WB, saving a raw copy, and everything else full manual.  I would edit in Lightroom and started to think that maybe I was overediting it somehow, or maybe the copy and paste was being interrupted with my PC not having enough memory, becoming overloaded and corrupting the paste of settings.  So then I upgraded the memory for my Ryzen 6 core CPU, from 32gb to 64gb.  Still flickers...  So I started thinking about it and remembered something about DJI's RAW files.  I shoot with a Nikon D780 and D7500 along with DJI Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 3 Cine.  I never had any flicker problems with M2P, nor with my Nikon files for HL.  But I do remember one big difference about DJI RAW versus Nikon's truly RAW (.NEF files).  If you have a Nikon RAW file and click on it in Windows (any version) there is no preview because it is a RAW file and you need a plugin to translate it into a viewable image.  If you click on a DJI file, RAW or not, you can always view a preview of it, like it's an MP4.  I have long suspected because of this that DJI files are not truly RAW, they are simply Jpeg files programmed to work like a RAW file.  If this is the case, I could see how you could bring flicker to WB because if the white balance is changing in the middle of your Hyperlapse.  But, based on other comments above where people have used full manual WB, I don't think this is the case.  

I sincerely wish I could provide a solution for this one but it looks like the best work around until DJI addresses the issue, is to use 2 seconds instead of 1 second....  Which I'll be honest, really sucks.  I want to literally squeeze every bit of dynamic range out of an aerial hyperlapse as I can.  And it seems like I will need to go back to my M2P because I don't care how sharp or how much detail you pull out of the shadows, if there's flicker, it's distracting and not professional.  Which is completely unacceptable for a professional photographer to use for professional applications and as a long time fan of DJI, this type of neglect has certainly nudged me in the direction of seeing what else is out there.  DJI is releasing a lot of products, fast, and we are already a year in to the Mavic 3.  This needs to be a priority or it never will be and if DJI isn't willing to fix it on this platform, they should offer to exchange our M3's for M4's when they come out or issue a very large partial refund right now.

So will DJI do what's right or should we start discussing good alternatives to DJI?  As a longtime fan and owner of P3Pro, 2 x M2P, Ronin SC2 and 2 x M3Cine, I am sincerely just hoping DJI addresses this right away....

Has anyone here opened a ticket with technical support?
2022-9-25
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Are you setting white balance from camera view or camera tab? Just a thought.
2022-9-25
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Need to double check interval. I thought the best was 2 second

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-25 11:00
Are you setting white balance from camera view or camera tab? Just a thought.

EDIT: Maybe I misread the solution above by increasing the interval to 2 seconds??  Isn't 2 seconds the best you can do with M3? So would we have to raise it to the next value which I believe is 3 seconds right?  I sound like I've never shot these before, all I know is when I open the app I always select the more frequent interval and have even thought it would be great to speed that frequency up to shoot more frequently than the current offering.

I'm not usually setting the white balance.  When shooting in RAW it should not make a difference at all.  However, I am starting to suspect with DJI files it does.  Either way, if it's true (I have not yet tested it) that 2 second HL removes flicker versus the 1 second interval on HL, that would indicate a hardware or processing issues with the software.  The part that gets me is it doesn't always happen.  Here's two example the first one is a successful hyperlapse.  Wait for the end, at first its straight video, then it switches to HL.  I see no flicker and it is a 1 second interval.

Vs here's one I shot with flicker in the clouds also 1 second interval.

Clouds With Flicker

As I start to narrow down what this could be I am reminded of a thread I found on the topic months ago.  Aperture.  I have heard that it could have something to do with the aperture.  Even when set manually I can't remember what it was but it somehow gets stuck or fails for a moment???  And thinking about if further, this might have something to do with it.  And it could be it but I don't know how.... My reason is, as I ponder my settings, I may have had the wrong filter and may have set my Aperture differently, it is the only possible variable.  My exposure goal is 1/4 SS, 100-400 ISO, and F 4-5.6, but thinking about it, if I had the wrong filter on and it was a moment that could be quickly missed, like a lightning storm, I may have discovered it in the air and closed the aperture to f/8-11.

Would love some sincere feedback from DJI or anyone who has solved it with any other means than a 2 second interval.  That's great it works but there are times I could go for a 1/2 second interval, so going to 2 is a leap backwards in my opinion
2022-9-25
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Try setting the WB. It couldn't hurt. Just takes a little time.
2022-9-25
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-25 13:05
Try setting the WB. It couldn't hurt. Just takes a little time.
Im definitely doing that moving forward. As others have mentioned, it still does not solve the problem, and it shouldn't if the files are truly RAW.

If it solves my issue ill surely update it here but there's a decent chance its caused by aperture according yo some threads outside of dji.
2022-9-25
Use props
Barronas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4686706 ft
Slovakia

You can try software like GBDeflicker or REDeflicker.

https://www.granitebaysoftware.com/products/productgbd.aspx
https://revisionfx.com/products/deflicker/
2022-9-26
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Barronas Posted at 9-26 00:12
You can try software like GBDeflicker or REDeflicker.

https://www.granitebaysoftware.com/products/productgbd.aspx

Btw you can also use neat video to de-flicker,  but it's not free, they charge one time fee over $100, sorry forgot how much it was, it does a great job at de-flickering the video and also de-noising the video if you need that:

https://www.neatvideo.com/
2022-9-26
Use props
ianwood
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Two separate issues. One is video flicker. Other is time lapse flicker. This thread is for video flicker.
2022-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules