Sudden GPS signal loss after take off
5788 28 2022-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blockmind
lvl.1
Turkey

Hello,

First of all, Im a newbie and newly bought my mini 2. I am in a urban area, and after getting 14 satellites and take off, gps signal suddenly drops to 3-4 satellites. I experienced that 7-8 times. Only one time I got 23-24 satellites and had a flight without any satellite loss. Is it normal in low altitude zones (150m)? should I deliver the device to a warranty service? Please check this video about the GPS signal loss.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FcUqSApTZQsU5cgm7

The risk I see, if it loses the RC reception too, drone wont be able to return to home, so I cant keep flying like this, right? Oh I also control the drone from my balcony, Im not sure if it affect anything.
2022-5-26
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12445630 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

i do not see a link to your video in your post.

If you like upload your flightlog for this issue, use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link on here

cheers
JJB
2022-5-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Blockmind. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we please know what is the model of the mobile device that you are using please and kindly please fly your DJI Mini 2 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. Thank you.
2022-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

after getting 14 satellites and take off, gps signal suddenly drops to 3-4 satellites. I experienced that 7-8 times. Only one time I got 23-24 satellites and had a flight without any satellite loss. Is it normal in low altitude zones (150m)?
It's not normal to lose GPS if the drone is in open air with nothing blocking its sky view.

should I deliver the device to a warranty service?
Only if it's a hardware issue that is causing the problem.
One possibility is that there is some GPS jamming in the area you flew.
That's very uncommon, but I have seen  a report of it from your part of the world.
To check try flying about 20 km away and see if things are normal.

The risk I see, if it loses the RC reception too, drone wont be able to return to home, so I cant keep flying like this, right?
That is correct.

Oh I also control the drone from my balcony, Im not sure if it affect anything.
That won't affect your GPS.

2022-5-26
Use props
Blockmind
lvl.1
Turkey

@JJN* @DJI Stephen
Thanks for your answers. I will check if I can manage to load my flightlog soon (let me look for how it's done, and where to find).
My phone is Samsung S20 Ultra. Sure, I will test the device on different location in a week. I just wanted the share the current experience right now.

There is a GSM base station near me. Do you think it may cause this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v06TvNBsHiK3OOZjAAQ8OlRU2w1FnCI4/view?usp=sharing
2022-5-26
Use props
Blockmind
lvl.1
Turkey

Thank you @Labroides
Only thing I see so far is the GSM base station. Also I'm in a low altitude zone. Since I made a fly without loosing any GSP signal, I'm very confused. Maybe a jammer is activated from time to time. it's better try the drone on somewhere else to get more information I suppose.
I also moved away about 80 meters but no luck on recovering the GPS signal. Sometimes drone recovers back to 13-14 satellites but it loses them again.
2022-5-26
Use props
Blockmind
lvl.1
Turkey

@JJB*
I uploaded my flightlog as well

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/1XW03VGGDHLEPR4VMLCG
I checked the map there, and I only flight around 50meter perimeter from the home point. Map shows interesting locations where I didnt went.
2022-5-26
Use props
Blockmind
lvl.1
Turkey

And this is the only successful flight I made without GPS loss
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/7PLNPPSJN8ENNFD99511
2022-5-26
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

I must say, this is very strange. I would try to fly in another location, far away from interference and see if that changes anything. Fly at least 5 times out of the city, preferably in different places to check the result.
Cell towers might interfere with GPS, but it's not common. GPS Jammers are also something to be aware off, not common in most countries, however in Russia there are everywhere in big cities. So it might be that.
Or it can also be a faulty GPS module in the drone.
2022-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Blockmind Posted at 5-26 00:23
Thank you @Labroides
Only thing I see so far is the GSM base station. Also I'm in a low altitude zone. Since I made a fly without loosing any GSP signal, I'm very confused. Maybe a jammer is activated from time to time. it's better try the drone on somewhere else to get more information I suppose.
I also moved away about 80 meters but no luck on recovering the GPS signal. Sometimes drone recovers back to 13-14 satellites but it loses them again.

There is a GSM base station near me. Do you think it may cause this?
No

The way your satellite number dropped looks very suspicious.
I don't think this is a failure of the drone.
Try flying somewhere outside the city and see how that goes.

2022-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Yaros1 Posted at 5-26 01:27
I must say, this is very strange. I would try to fly in another location, far away from interference and see if that changes anything. Fly at least 5 times out of the city, preferably in different places to check the result.
Cell towers might interfere with GPS, but it's not common. GPS Jammers are also something to be aware off, not common in most countries, however in Russia there are everywhere in big cities. So it might be that.

Cell towers might interfere with GPS
Not true ... Cell towers have no effect on GPS.

That looks unlikely seeing how the number of sats dropped.
A hardware failure would probably just see zero sats.

2022-5-26
Use props
Blockmind
lvl.1
Turkey

Thank you for your comments. It's important for me to get professional ideas about this issue. I will fly on somewhere 50 km away from my current location this weekend and share the results here. Thanks so much.
2022-5-26
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Blockmind Posted at 5-26 00:54
@JJB*
I uploaded my flightlog as well

Hi,

Thanks for uploading your flightlog.
Very interesting to see what happend to your LatLon positions! see your data in my chart.
Max distance out  3594 meter, and your drone only within 50 meters away from you .
Have no idea what can cause this....only thing you can do is to calibrate the IMU and fly again.

For me intersting to see the GPS health values and when your Mini2 went into ATTI.

Your FlyApp max height setting set to 120, with low GPS reception the true max altitude is changed when flying in a altitude zone (as you did)to 150 meter.
"GPS signal weak. Fly with caution | Aircraft in Altitude Zone | Max altitude set to 150m | GPS signal weak (Max altitude 150m)"

Read a NOTAM once about airfield in Cyprus to warn pilots not to trust their GPS data, signals jammed (Syrian war)Mayby the same jamming for the Ankara airfield/airspace, due to the Ukrain war. (did Erdogan used the airport that time ??)

in that 'cyprus' flightrecord exactly the same issues, also far away LatLon positions ect  as in your log.

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
2022-5-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 5-26 02:21
Hi,

Very interesting to see what happend to your LatLon positions! see your data in my chart.
Max distance out  3594 meter, and your drone only within 50 meters away from you .
Have no idea what can cause this....only thing you can do is to calibrate the IMU and fly again.

Maybe you should explain where you got that number from, because it's not at all clear.
2022-5-26
Use props
Blockmind
lvl.1
Turkey

Hi JJB,

Thanks for examining my flight log. I read something about GNSS spoofer equipments used by defense purposes by government. ILTER is one of them, as widely used on govenrnment buildings in istanbul and Ankara to spoof coordinates for the drones to mislead them on RTH. Maybe something like this is activated constantly in my area even there is no govenment building around.

Anyway, the altitude zone I'm in belongs to a military landing zone. Also signal loss occur when rising 20-30 meters high. not on the ground level. Which makes it interesting as well. I better check my drone on somewhere out of this area.

2022-5-26
Use props
Blockmind
lvl.1
Turkey

@Labroides
You can see it on the map on my flightlog as well. I fly 3-4 buidings away but on the map my drone is recorded somewhere far away.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/1XW03VGGDHLEPR4VMLCG
2022-5-26
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 5-26 02:54

wich number?

50 meters is the info from Blockmind.
3594 is the max distance reached using the  incorrect GPS data, also seen on the PH 'map'.
Interesting to see that with a GPS health of 2 the mode = P-GPS   ;-)

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2022-5-26
Use props
Blockmind
lvl.1
Turkey

An update about my situation. I talked to a professional technical service in my lcoation, and they said that there is ILTER (which is a brand of drone spoofing / defense system) is activated in my city with a big area of coverage! So they said that the buildings are shielding ILTER signals, so it's better to fly between the buildings but after passing out building level, GPS signal is spoofed or dropped which is exactly same with my situation. When I get pass the roof level, GPS signal is dropping.

It seems like that I have made a good timing when that jammer / spoofer is turned off on one specific time and I flied with a good GPS reception. After 10-15 trial there is no luck like that.

Anyway, to be sure about that I will add one more update after flying outside the city to tell you that there is GPS-loss or not that time. Thanks again for all your help.
2022-5-27
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Blockmind Posted at 5-27 05:56
An update about my situation. I talked to a professional technical service in my lcoation, and they said that there is ILTER (which is a brand of drone spoofing / defense system) is activated in my city with a big area of coverage! So they said that the buildings are shielding ILTER signals, so it's better to fly between the buildings but after passing out building level, GPS signal is spoofed or dropped which is exactly same with my situation. When I get pass the roof level, GPS signal is dropping.

It seems like that I have made a good timing when that jammer / spoofer is turned off on one specific time and I flied with a good GPS reception. After 10-15 trial there is no luck like that.

thanks for the update.

happy many landings,
cheers
JJB
2022-5-27
Use props
Blockmind
lvl.1
Turkey

JJB* Posted at 5-27 09:32
thanks for the update.

happy many landings,

Thank you!

And one final update!
Today I was out of the city center, and I made 6-7 flights with no interruption on the GPS signal. So I can confirm that GPS signal is messed up with some spoofing system in my current area with the issue I reported above. Thank you so much once again to all of you, for helping on my issue.

2022-5-28
Use props
userc2f3482696
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3529009 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Blockmind Posted at 5-27 05:56

It seems like that I have made a good timing when that jammer / spoofer is turned off on one specific time and I flied with a good GPS reception. After 10-15 trial there is no luck like that.

I have the same problem with mavic 2 pro and mavic mini 2.. I have this problem for the last 2 years at the same locations...is it legal to use gps jammers? You can do more damage when a drone loses position and crash..
2022-9-24
Use props
Falcoc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 370965 ft
United States

userc2f3482696 Posted at 9-24 06:15
I have the same problem with mavic 2 pro and mavic mini 2.. I have this problem for the last 2 years at the same locations...is it legal to use gps jammers? You can do more damage when a drone loses position and crash..

Yes illegal for common folks but not for the government. Government always exempts itself.
2022-9-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

userc2f3482696 Posted at 9-24 06:15

You can do more damage when a drone loses position and crash.
Your drone won't crash if it loses GPS.
It won't have brakes or horizontal position holding ability or be able to RTH.
But it will maintain altitude and still be fully controllable.
2022-9-24
Use props
userc2f3482696
lvl.2
  • >>>
Cyprus

Labroides Posted at 9-24 20:07
You can do more damage when a drone loses position and crash.
Your drone won't crash if it loses GPS.
It won't have brakes or horizontal position holding ability or be able to RTH.

I know but most people don't know how to fly in atti mode.. also the drone (mavic 2 pro) reacting kind of strange when gps signal is on and off..
2022-9-24
Use props
userc2f3482696
lvl.2
  • >>>
Cyprus

Falcoc Posted at 9-24 07:54
Yes illegal for common folks but not for the government. Government always exempts itself.

That's true..
2022-9-24
Use props
djiuser_HjmgA65pAz3n
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1416677 ft
Cyprus

JJB* Posted at 2022-5-26 02:21
Hi,

Hi JJB,

I'm in Cyprus and seem to be having the same issues the OP described. Could you share the Cyprus flight record/discussion you're referring to?
2023-1-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_HjmgA65pAz3n Posted at 1-14 08:29
Hi JJB,

I'm in Cyprus and seem to be having the same issues the OP described. Could you share the Cyprus flight record/discussion you're referring to?

Hi,

I have no idea what you are asking....

cheers
JJB
2023-1-14
Use props
djiuser_HjmgA65pAz3n
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1416677 ft
Cyprus

JJB* Posted at 1-14 08:39
Hi,

I have no idea what you are asking....

Just going to back to post #15, you mention something about Cyprus, and I was wondering if you happen to have that flight log. I flew in Cyprus today for the first time and here's what mine looks like. Seem to have similar problems that the OP did. Here's what mine looks like.  www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8PT9PXEYNF02ONYP9CNH/
2023-1-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_HjmgA65pAz3n Posted at 1-14 08:44
Just going to back to post #15, you mention something about Cyprus, and I was wondering if you happen to have that flight log. I flew in Cyprus today for the first time and here's what mine looks like. Seem to have similar problems that the OP did. Here's what mine looks like.  www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/8PT9PXEYNF02ONYP9CNH/

Your GPS data suggests either intermittent GPS jamming.
2023-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules