Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 673862 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

I've been waiting for filters to be release and noticed PGYTECH have put the following up on their website.

What's interesting is that they're the first site to release the weight information for each filter or filter set.
The ND/PL, ND and CPL filters will come in at 5.7 grams each. Then the UV filter at 3.3 grams.
So it seems using a filter will push it over the 249 gram.

Does anyone know how this plays out with sub 250 gram registration?

Has anyone received their offical DJI Mini 3 Pro filters and weighed them?

Thanks all!

ND/PL set

ND/PL set

ND set

ND set

CPL

CPL

D20A7B19-7A7E-425B-BB27-36C1226F7EE3.jpeg

2022-6-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mini-G. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Filters ) for your DJI Mini 3 Pro, I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilot who uses these filters on there DJI Drone. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend for you to your 3rd party accessory like filters on your DJI Mini 3 Pro. There is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work properly. However, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the safety of the said 3rd party accessories if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of your DJI Mini 3 Pro. Thank you.
2022-6-2
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will likely get the 4 filters set instead of the DJI one, debating if I want the PL version but it's a bit of a hassle and is of limited use.
2022-6-2
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 6-2 20:35
Hello there Mini-G. Good day and thank you for reaching out. Since this is a 3rd party accessory ( Filters ) for your DJI Mini 3 Pro, I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilot who uses these filters on there DJI Drone. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend for you to your 3rd party accessory like filters on your DJI Mini 3 Pro. There is a possibility that these 3rd party accessories will be able work properly. However, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the safety of the said 3rd party accessories if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of your DJI Mini 3 Pro. Thank you.

Hi,

Can I please ask, how come these warnings aren’t posted when it comes to filters for DJI Air 2s or Mavic 3 models?

Thanks
2022-6-3
Use props
Mechanism
lvl.3

United Kingdom

The DJI store claims 0.75g each
2022-6-3
Use props
preiffer
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Remember they *replace* the existing clear filter on the front of the camera - so it's the difference between the two that you need to measure, not the actual weight of the new filter alone.
2022-6-3
Use props
szymko
lvl.2
Flight distance : 367165 ft
Poland

Freewell ones are 0.7g (at least this is what the manufacturer claims). I am glad I preordered these. They are probably made of polycarbonate instead of metal.
2022-6-3
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

szymko Posted at 6-3 02:12
Freewell ones are 0.7g (at least this is what the manufacturer claims). I am glad I preordered these. They are probably made of polycarbonate instead of metal.

You could be right about the material.
They’ve been posting a fair bit of production videos on their Instagram
2022-6-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I had some bad experience with PGY filters.
2022-6-3
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1975351 ft
United Kingdom

The DJI store lists their own original brand filters, those being a set of 3 ND filters and a Wide angle filter, each of which weighs less than 1gram, so they wouldnt put the drone over the 250g limit for registration. In all honesty, I dont see any regulatory authority being so sad as to be that picky over a few grams. Its neither here nor there. I did hear someone argue that the additional weight of 3rd party filters could put undue strain on the gimbals motors, but I doubt that myself. Theyre fitted to the sensor housing, and the actual front where the filters are fitted are very close to the axis of the motor, so I wouldnt be worried about using them.  Im more concerned about the now old age question of 'Will I actually ever receive my DJI filters which Ive already paid for?' Thats the real issue here.
2022-6-6
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 6-3 11:02
I had some bad experience with PGY filters.

Like? I had problem with the initial batch of ND filters for the Original Mini but everything else that I got for my other devices. drones, works fine.
2022-6-6
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Manich Posted at 6-6 15:02
The DJI store lists their own original brand filters, those being a set of 3 ND filters and a Wide angle filter, each of which weighs less than 1gram, so they wouldnt put the drone over the 250g limit for registration. In all honesty, I dont see any regulatory authority being so sad as to be that picky over a few grams. Its neither here nor there. I did hear someone argue that the additional weight of 3rd party filters could put undue strain on the gimbals motors, but I doubt that myself. Theyre fitted to the sensor housing, and the actual front where the filters are fitted are very close to the axis of the motor, so I wouldnt be worried about using them.  Im more concerned about the now old age question of 'Will I actually ever receive my DJI filters which Ive already paid for?' Thats the real issue here.

You said "In all honesty, I dont see any regulatory authority being so sad as to be that picky over a few grams."

Regulation is regulation.   It's not being "picky" or not.   Everything is stated in black and white.

When the threshold is 250g as in Canada between micro drone and small drone, which have totally differents set of rules here, then your drone is either a micro drone or a small drone.
And yes, the 1g could be the difference.

2022-6-6
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Manich Posted at 6-6 15:02
The DJI store lists their own original brand filters, those being a set of 3 ND filters and a Wide angle filter, each of which weighs less than 1gram, so they wouldnt put the drone over the 250g limit for registration. In all honesty, I dont see any regulatory authority being so sad as to be that picky over a few grams. Its neither here nor there. I did hear someone argue that the additional weight of 3rd party filters could put undue strain on the gimbals motors, but I doubt that myself. Theyre fitted to the sensor housing, and the actual front where the filters are fitted are very close to the axis of the motor, so I wouldnt be worried about using them.  Im more concerned about the now old age question of 'Will I actually ever receive my DJI filters which Ive already paid for?' Thats the real issue here.

I keep hearing about this wide angle filter.
Where can you see it? I’m in Australia and not sure if they’re just not listing it on the DJI Au portal.

Have you got a link?
2022-6-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wiz33 Posted at 6-6 17:12
Like? I had problem with the initial batch of ND filters for the Original Mini but everything else that I got for my other devices. drones, works fine.

I had 2 variable ND filters for my P2 but returned them.
They gave a very bad color shift on bot ones.
Here is a quick example where the outer 'ring' has a blue cast.
2022-6-6
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Mini-G Posted at 6-6 19:20
I keep hearing about this wide angle filter.
Where can you see it? I’m in Australia and not sure if they’re just not listing it on the DJI Au portal.

https://m.dji.com/uk/product/dji-mini-3-pro-nd-filters-set-16-256
I cant find the WA filter on the DJI sight, but other retailers are listing them, one example below:

https://www.heliguy.com/products/dji-mini-3-pro-wide-angle-lens
2022-6-7
Use props
Exib
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153760 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

preiffer Posted at 6-3 01:49
Remember they *replace* the existing clear filter on the front of the camera - so it's the difference between the two that you need to measure, not the actual weight of the new filter alone.

That's a very good point and this must be taken into account, would be interesting for someone with the Mini 3 to remove the front lens and see what the weight is
2022-6-7
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Exib Posted at 6-7 03:33
That's a very good point and this must be taken into account, would be interesting for someone with the Mini 3 to remove the front lens and see what the weight is

I’d love to try one out but no one has an idea of actual ETA…
2022-6-7
Use props
Manich
lvl.3
United Kingdom

nosnoop Posted at 6-6 18:42
You said "In all honesty, I dont see any regulatory authority being so sad as to be that picky over a few grams."

Regulation is regulation.   It's not being "picky" or not.   Everything is stated in black and white.

What I meant by regulatory authority, wasnt the likes of the CAA or FAA, but rather the average police officer or other such role. I mean its not like they carry scales around with them.
An example. I was flying my P4P a while back, maybe 50m off some cliffs over the sea. Someone had rang the police because they could see me doing so from their home, which was well beyond the 150m requirement. The officer pointed out that there were people walking along the clifftop path and asked me what the regulations stated as to separation from the public. I just pointed out that they werent around when I launched and began shooting the video, and that I had no real way of knowing the true distance to them and that it was a rough estimate, or a guess. he agreed with that and just asked me to be careful, which I always am, then went on his way.
2022-6-7
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 6-6 22:41
I had 2 variable ND filters for my P2 but returned them.
They gave a very bad color shift on bot ones.
Here is a quick example where the outer 'ring' has a blue cast.

Interesting, I have always sticked to just numbered ND and have not tried variable, Will keep that is mind. Did you replace them with another manufacturer and how's the result?
2022-6-7
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

looks like the oem filters are now available.
2022-6-7
Use props
rodc27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have a scale that measures to 0.1g, so will weigh both the original blank cover, and the DJI ND filters later and post the results.
2022-6-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wiz33 Posted at 6-7 07:32
Interesting, I have always sticked to just numbered ND and have not tried variable, Will keep that is mind. Did you replace them with another manufacturer and how's the result?

Well, I have one VND filter for my Nikon and it is 'ok'.
But for 2 reasons I replaced these 2 pgytech ones with fixed ND filters for my P2.
First reason is fear of another 'bad' experience.
Second reason is that it was not as handy as I anticipated.
Mainly because you still have to take them off when you stop filming (or risk bumping them into something) because the lens is facing the 'wrong' way and I don't want to have it like that for too long.
So I ended up taking the VND filter on and off all the time.
Which almost eliminated the whole idea of having a VND filter.
So I bought a 'normal' PolarPro set and a Freewell ND1000.
The last one I use a lot for motion timelapses. The standard ND filters were used only a very few times.
I hate putting them on and off. Way too flimsy. And I'm bound to lose them.
So even though the end result looks a bit better, it is not worth it most of the time for me.
2022-6-7
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 6-7 12:43
Well, I have one VND filter for my Nikon and it is 'ok'.
But for 2 reasons I replaced these 2 pgytech ones with fixed ND filters for my P2.
First reason is fear of another 'bad' experience.

Same here for my experience on the P1/2. I use them mostly when I travel and the whole idea is that it's something you can start up and begin recording in about 10 seconds and having to fiddle with ND filters kinda defeat the purpose. Except in specific situation when you have time to setup for some unique shots. I do use them more often on my drones as most daylight shot can benefit from a lower shutter speed.
2022-6-7
Use props
rodc27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Weight of Mini 3 Pro - 248.4g
Original bare lens - 0.8g
DJI ND filter - 0.7g

So as long as other ND filters are 2.3g or lighter, M3P will still be under 250g.
2022-6-7
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Those PGY filters will be mostly useless.
The Mini 3 is going to require *at least* and ND32 and likely up to ND256.

Anything lower than that isnt going to block enough light to get a slow enough shutter speed.  The f/1.7 lens is going to ensure that.
2022-6-7
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Has any body seen a single ND 1000 or stronger available for the Mini 3 Pro? I can only find this pack which includes a ND 1000 but don't need the others as don't shoot video...

Freewell ND link

2022-6-7
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

rodc27 Posted at 6-7 13:26
Weight of Mini 3 Pro - 248.4g
Original bare lens - 0.8g
DJI ND filter - 0.7g

Fantastic news!!
2022-6-7
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

gnirtS Posted at 6-7 13:44
Those PGY filters will be mostly useless.
The Mini 3 is going to require *at least* and ND32 and likely up to ND256.

Agreed.

I don’t know why they would bother with an ND8… unless your shooting in the afternoon but surely it would be fine without an ND filter.
2022-6-7
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mini-G Posted at 6-7 15:35
Agreed.

I don’t know why they would bother with an ND8… unless your shooting in the afternoon but surely it would be fine without an ND filter.

Cloudy day, early morning, late afternoon, right after sun set. My first flight was on a cloudy day and my shutter was at 1/800 ISO 100 EV 0. ND8 would have worked just fine.
2022-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules