RyanAir
9401 24 2015-8-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Anyone taken their P3 as hand baggage on RyanAir?

There is a bunch of P3 cases out there but I'd like to be confident that I won't get told at the gate that the bag needs to get broken in the hold.
2015-8-4
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If it's within the size/weight you should not have an issue..
2015-8-4
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-4 21:46
If it's within the size/weight you should not have an issue..

I agree.

But few if any are; RyanAir seems to be a little meaner on space than other airlines, especially the height of the bag.  Surprise, surprise.
2015-8-4
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excluding the size/weigh the only concern they might have is the batteries ( MUST BE CARRY ON ). Below is a link from the regarding lithium ion batteries. Your can take 2 with you ( per person I would think ;) )

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questi ... -assistive-devices/

And if its not listed here you should be OK - http://www.ryanair.com/ie/terms- ... prohibitedarticles/

Good luck..
2015-8-4
Use props
Spankybear
lvl.4
Flight distance : 685089 ft
United States

msjh Posted at 2015-8-4 21:49
I agree.

But few if any are; RyanAir seems to be a little meaner on space than other airlines, es ...

You are complaining about the cheapest airline in your area...

I can stand them yellow metro bus interiors though I have never flew with them...
2015-8-4
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Spankybear Posted at 2015-8-4 22:13
You are complaining about the cheapest airline in your area...

Well I am complaining about the only airline I know that flies from London to Rijeka Croatia which is where I am going on holiday, so there was no element of choice.  You'd probably take that bus if it was the only alternative.

Regardless of the complaint, I'm just trying to find someone who has taken a P3 in carry on luggage and hence what case they bought.
2015-8-4
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-4 21:52
Excluding the size/weigh the only concern they might have is the batteries ( MUST BE CARRY ON ). Bel ...

Thanks for the battery pointer.
2015-8-4
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

msjh Posted at 2015-8-4 22:25
Well I am complaining about the only airline I know that flies from London to Rijeka Croatia which ...

May I suggest calling them to inquire if there is an issue. Have the dimensions of the case at hand when you make the call.
2015-8-4
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

gregg1r Posted at 2015-8-4 22:29
May I suggest calling them to inquire if there is an issue. Have the dimensions of the case at han ...

That's a very sensible suggestion!  However ... I haven't yet bought the bag.  I'd really like to take my P3Pro on this holiday so the choice of bag may well be influenced by what RyanAir will take.  For example, the excellent-looking Think Tank AirPort Helipak is apparently 2.9cm (a bit over an inch) too big for RyanAir carry-on, although easily fits into BA, Virgin, vmi, EasyJet etc specs.

OTOH, don't want to get a crappy bag.

Hmmm.

I am drawing up a spreadsheet.  Spreadsheets solve everything.
2015-8-4
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Well none of the backpacks listed here

http://www.phantomhelp.com/#CasesP3

are small enough for RyanAir.  The key issue is the height: 8" / 20cm.  Most are an inch / 2.5cm bigger.

Still I will call RyanAir tomorrow.
2015-8-4
Use props
user9999
lvl.1

Poland

I have never travelled with a drone but I have flown with RyanAir multiple times. My cabbin bag is 25 cm high and I have never had any problems with it. People notoriously carry over-sized and over-weighted bags onboard and I have never seen any of them in trouble.

Here is a soft backpack which is only 21 cm high: http://rcpro.pl/product-pol-2344 ... -Phantom-1-2-3.html (don't know anything about its quality)
2015-8-5
Use props
Stephentaber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 901404 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I recently flew Ryanair and took my P3 with me. I have the official back pack from DJI with no problems. I packed the batteries in my main luggage to save any issues. Also remember that Ryanair can insist your hand luggage goes in the hold even if it complies with the rules, once the cabins storage is full, the rest goes in the hold. One way to limit the chances of that is to pay for priority boarding so you get your hand luggage in the cabins storage asap.

2015-8-5
Use props
keelbyfish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I simply refused to put my drone in the gold and there's was loads of space in cabin. They seem to do it automatically
2015-8-5
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Stephentaber@me Posted at 2015-8-5 20:00
I recently flew Ryanair and took my P3 with me. I have the official back pack from DJI with no probl ...

Don't pack lithium batteries in checked baggage as it violates flight regulations. The CAA, FAA and JAA all follow the same restrictions on lithium batteries.

After 9/11, all baggage is x-rayed. Lithium polymer batteries show up as very dense and will get further scrutiny. You may lose the battery (s) and get charged.
2015-8-5
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

user9999 Posted at 2015-8-5 19:37
I have never travelled with a drone but I have flown with RyanAir multiple times. My cabbin bag is 2 ...

Thanks, User9999.

As the RyanAir "limit" is 20 cm, it seems to me I might as well go with a 23cm bag with great reviews in preference to a 21cm bag with none.  So I am probably going to go with the Think Tank Airport HeliPak.
2015-8-5
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Stephentaber@me Posted at 2015-8-5 20:00
I recently flew Ryanair and took my P3 with me. I have the official back pack from DJI with no probl ...

Thanks.

I do have priority boarding (and assigned seats) so I hope that I will be fine with the ThinkTank Airport HeliPak.
2015-8-5
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

gregg1r Posted at 2015-8-6 01:07
Don't pack lithium batteries in checked baggage as it violates flight regulations. The CAA, FAA an ...

Good point, thank you; noted.
2015-8-5
Use props
Flyhigh7887
lvl.3

Sweden

Hi,

I have flown Ryanair multiple times with my P3 in the DJI backpack. (with the 3 spare batteries in there also)

Generally when I fly with them I buy the priority boarding/ reserved seating option. The main reason behind it being that I want to get on/ off quickly & they have YET to deny me bringing my carry-ons with me. They usually stick to the regular queue to annoy people about putting baggage in the hold.
2015-8-5
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have flown with my DJI backpack as carry on twice now, once with Ryanair and once with BA. the battery issue is not a problem - along as your batteries are not over 100w then they are safe to carry on - P3Pro batts are 99.9w. Now it all depends where your flying from, what time of day it is and what colour socks you are wearing. If the check in gestapo are having a shit day then their customer service skills are going to be as hospitable as a pack of wolves. Its quite amazing just how much a smile and nice manners gets you when dealing with these fascists!

I would say however, when asked how many pieces of carry on you have, just sort of shake the backpack at them and don't let them see the full size of it, I wasn't so much worried about the height of it but rather the depth of it. Anyway, I haven't had any issues whilst using the DJI backpack for my P3pro and 3 batteries.

good luck and have a good holiday!
2015-8-6
Use props
tkofoed
lvl.1

Norway

I brought my Phantom 3P back from the US as carryon in the DJI Hardshell backpack, wth a change of flights at Heathrow. There I was refused to bring the P3 onboard as carryon passing thru Security at T5. I missed my flight to Norway and P3 including batteries had to go in the hold. I was flying British Airways. Security argued that this was CAA regulations - but I still haven't been able to have CAA confirm this.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-17237-1-1.html
2015-8-6
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Flyhigh7887 Posted at 2015-8-6 15:18
Hi,

I have flown Ryanair multiple times with my P3 in the DJI backpack. (with the 3 spare batteries ...

Thank you.

I am probably going to go for the Think Tank Airport HeliPak, which is a similar size.
2015-8-6
Use props
msjh
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Skygod14 Posted at 2015-8-6 16:44
I have flown with my DJI backpack as carry on twice now, once with Ryanair and once with BA. the bat ...

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I'm going to get the TT Airport HeliPak, as noted above, and chance it.
2015-8-6
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Skygod14 Posted at 2015-8-6 16:44
I have flown with my DJI backpack as carry on twice now, once with Ryanair and once with BA. the bat ...

Better check the watt hour on the P3 again. The P3 battery is 68 watt hour rated. Miliamps X volts = watt hours. 4480 mAh X 15.2 v = 68.096 W hr.

The Inspire 1, TB47 battery is 99.9 watt hour rated. The TB48 (129.96 W hr) is over the limit of 100 watt hour limit and as such, you can only carry two batteries.

You can have in your carry on luggage as many P3 batteries as you want. FAA regulations bar you from placing lithium ion batteries in checked baggage.
2015-8-6
Use props
Yogi123
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3194669 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

msjh Posted at 2015-8-6 18:52
Thanks for sharing your experience.  I'm going to get the TT Airport HeliPak, as noted above, and  ...

Hi -

I have the Think Tank Helipak.  It rocks - absolutely great bag.

I have used it on Ryan Air (Gatwick to Italy), BA, Aer Lingus and Norwegian Air.  No problems at all.

Enjoy.
2015-8-6
Use props
kancur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 495144 ft
Slovakia

Hi, How did you flight with ryanair went? Thanks
2016-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now