RC Pro DJI Fly update today - Goggles 2 and Avata Support?
2904 18 2022-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi Folks,

I got DJI Fly update prompt today (August 28) on RC Pro and I updated, in the release notes of the DJI Fly update, it said that added compatibility for Goggles 2 and Avata to RC Pro. Just wanted to share this in case anyone interested. I hope understood this correctly, it seems that maybe DJI is giving RC Pro a way to control Avata and also to connect it to Goggles 2 to view the FPV vidoe. Hope this helps if anyone is interested.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-8-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mike. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us here at DJI Forum. Have a safe and a happy flying always.
2022-8-28
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

No, this is not correct. People constantly misunderstand the difference between a firmware update and an update for the fly app on the RC Pro controller. The fly app is simply an application which runs on multiple android and iOS devices and is the app used to fly most of DJI's drones from the past couple of years. The RC Pro controller is an android device that runs this app as well. Just because the Fly App is updated to provide compatibility with a new product does NOT mean that the RC Pro has been updated to fly that drone. That would require a firmware update to the RC Pro. DJI Fly App updates are universal across all devices that run the app. If you have a RC-N1 and use your phone to fly mavic 3 for example, you got the same exact update - this doesnt mean the RC-N1 and your phone can fly the DJI avata though.
2022-8-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-28 19:39
Hello there Mike. Good day and thank you for sharing these information with us here at DJI Forum. Have a safe and a happy flying always.

Thank you Stephen

Best Regards, Mike.
2022-8-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Tornado12 Posted at 8-29 05:52
No, this is not correct. People constantly misunderstand the difference between a firmware update and an update for the fly app on the RC Pro controller. The fly app is simply an application which runs on multiple android and iOS devices and is the app used to fly most of DJI's drones from the past couple of years. The RC Pro controller is an android device that runs this app as well. Just because the Fly App is updated to provide compatibility with a new product does NOT mean that the RC Pro has been updated to fly that drone. That would require a firmware update to the RC Pro. DJI Fly App updates are universal across all devices that run the app. If you have a RC-N1 and use your phone to fly mavic 3 for example, you got the same exact update - this doesnt mean the RC-N1 and your phone can fly the DJI avata though.

Hi Tornado,

I understand your point. But the RC Pro controller received a large size update just a day before the DJi Fly update and there were updates there for Goggles v2 in the release notes, but I did not see Goggles 2 or Avata mentioned specifically in RC Pro controller release notes though. That is why I am suspecting DJI might be adding Avata control and Goggles 2 compatibility to RC Pro. Also what surprised me is DJI Fly was never compatible with FPV drones. The DJI Fpv for example has its own controller (called Dji Controller v2 or Dji Controller 2, not 100% sure) and that controller does not connect to phone to run the Fly app. DJI Goggle v2 also does not run the Fly app and uses its own app. So seeing that RC Pro controller received update for FPV features and support for Goggles v2  along with Dji Fly update with Goggles 2 and FPV support made me think that RC Pro support for FPV drones might be coming. This is just a guess though and I might be completely wrong, just wanted to share here in case someone else knows or interested.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-8-29
Use props
Tornado12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 356391 ft
United States

Mzp Posted at 8-29 08:00
Hi Tornado,

I understand your point. But the RC Pro controller received a large size update just a day before the DJi Fly update and there were updates there for Goggles v2 in the release notes, but I did not see Goggles 2 or Avata mentioned specifically in RC Pro controller release notes though. That is why I am suspecting DJI might be adding Avata control and Goggles 2 compatibility to RC Pro. Also what surprised me is DJI Fly was never compatible with FPV drones. The DJI Fpv for example has its own controller (called Dji Controller v2 or Dji Controller 2, not 100% sure) and that controller does not connect to phone to run the Fly app. DJI Goggle v2 also does not run the Fly app and uses its own app. So seeing that RC Pro controller received update for FPV features and support for Goggles v2  along with Dji Fly update with Goggles 2 and FPV support made me think that RC Pro support for FPV drones might be coming. This is just a guess though and I might be completely wrong, just wanted to share here in case someone else knows or interested.

Mike,

I agree it is a little confusing. The FPV functionality added to rc pro essentially enables the rc pro to work like an external monitor for DJI FPV - at least from what others have reported. It does not enable any control or flight of DJI FPV or DJI Avata. Ideally, when DJI release features like this, it would be good if they would provide a short paragraph explaining the extent of these features. I do agree the addition of FPV live and DJI goggles support has caused a lot of confusion. I would love to see avata work with RC Pro, but I would be surprised if that ever happens personally. As you say - the fpv drones use goggles rather than an phone or remote screen.
2022-8-29
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

What is the update version Name and number?
2022-8-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Tornado12 Posted at 8-29 11:27
Mike,

I agree it is a little confusing. The FPV functionality added to rc pro essentially enables the rc pro to work like an external monitor for DJI FPV - at least from what others have reported. It does not enable any control or flight of DJI FPV or DJI Avata. Ideally, when DJI release features like this, it would be good if they would provide a short paragraph explaining the extent of these features. I do agree the addition of FPV live and DJI goggles support has caused a lot of confusion. I would love to see avata work with RC Pro, but I would be surprised if that ever happens personally. As you say - the fpv drones use goggles rather than an phone or remote screen.

I hear you Tornado, it's definitely confusing , it would be nice if DJI added more detailed release notes with instructions (like they do sometimes , not usually , but sometimes they put such fine level details it feels like they use technical writers for it). Hoping more info would come out from other people who have got Avata and if there is any at all option to use RC Pro with it...

Thanks, Mike.
2022-8-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 8-29 12:05
What is the update version Name and number?

Hi Bob,

Please see below:

Aircraft firmware 01.00.0800

RC Firmware 03.01.0900

DJI Fly version: 1.7.0

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-8-29
Use props
pedzsan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 153625 ft
  • >>>
United States

To add to this... I just posted a request yesterday to add support for the Motion Controller and the smaller newer goggles.  "DJI Paladin" user who I presume works for DJI said they would add it to the request list and consider it so if it was already done, I assume he would have said "its already done".

I would be nice to have a cross compatibility list and it would also be nice if the names of the various items were more different.  e.g. "DJI Goggles 2" (the new ones -- which are for FPV) compare to "DJI FPV Goggles V2"
2022-8-30
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

pedzsan Posted at 8-30 05:47
To add to this... I just posted a request yesterday to add support for the Motion Controller and the smaller newer goggles.  "DJI Paladin" user who I presume works for DJI said they would add it to the request list and consider it so if it was already done, I assume he would have said "its already done".

I would be nice to have a cross compatibility list and it would also be nice if the names of the various items were more different.  e.g. "DJI Goggles 2" (the new ones -- which are for FPV) compare to "DJI FPV Goggles V2"

Hi Pedzsan,

That would be great. +1. I would also really like to be able to control FPV drones with DJI RC Pro (at least to be able to control , but would be great to see video feed on RC Pro as well via DJI Fly app) and for Mavic 3 to have compatibility with Goggles 2. Hoping this will materialize for us.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-8-30
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Mzp Posted at 8-29 18:48
Hi Bob,

Please see below:

Thanks Mike, it does, appreciate it.
2022-8-30
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 8-30 08:26
Thanks Mike, it does, appreciate it.

Sure, you are welcome Bob
2022-8-30
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Mzp Posted at 8-29 07:51
Thank you Stephen

Best Regards, Mike.

Hi there Mike. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Again, thank you for your support and have a nice day. .
2022-8-31
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-31 22:57
Hi there Mike. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. Again, thank you for your support and have a nice day.  .

You are very welcome Stephen
2022-9-1
Use props
Pete Toemmes
lvl.1

United States

Mzp Posted at 2022-9-1 10:49
You are very welcome Stephen

Apologies for resurrecting this informative post, but I'd like to revisit this in light of the DJIs implementation of remote ID for USA customers (and perhaps other countries as well).

There is one USBc port in Googles 2.  It is my understanding that ignorer for the (Avata) drone to fly, that the Goggles 2 USB port must be connected to a smart device running the Fly app.  This is so the location information of the HOME/PIC can be provided to the drone for remote ID transmission (which includes the drone location).

I wonder if connecting the USB to the RC Pro would also provide HOME/PIC remote ID info since the RC Pro has GPS while at the same time being a mentor or HDMI pass through for the Goggles 2.

If not, then this quite useful capability might be nullified by having to use the Goggles 2 USBc port to connect to a smart device with GPS running the Fly app.

Pete
2023-7-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Pete Toemmes Posted at 7-7 06:25
Apologies for resurrecting this informative post, but I'd like to revisit this in light of the DJIs implementation of remote ID for USA customers (and perhaps other countries as well).

There is one USBc port in Googles 2.  It is my understanding that ignorer for the (Avata) drone to fly, that the Goggles 2 USB port must be connected to a smart device running the Fly app.  This is so the location information of the HOME/PIC can be provided to the drone for remote ID transmission (which includes the drone location).

Hi Pete,

I am actually not sure how RID works with Goggles 2, maybe Goggles 2 itself broadcasts RID information out without it being connected to any other device, suspecting Goggles 2 might have GPS unit inside as well. Sorry would yield to others / DJI to confirm as I don't really have  much info on this.

Take care, Mike.
2023-7-7
Use props
Pete Toemmes
lvl.1

United States

It’s my understanding that Goggles 2 does NOT have GPS nor does Goggles V2. Goggles Integra DOES have GPS so that should satisfy PIC RID. But Goggles Integra lacks some features that Goggles 2 has.

My hunch is we will see something like Goggles 3 or Goggles 2 V2 with GPS, but just a guess.

I suppose they could put GPS in a new motion controller, too but in the goggles makes more sense to me.

Pete
2023-7-7
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Pete Toemmes Posted at 7-7 15:04
It’s my understanding that Goggles 2 does NOT have GPS nor does Goggles V2. Goggles Integra DOES have GPS so that should satisfy PIC RID. But Goggles Integra lacks some features that Goggles 2 has.

My hunch is we will see something like Goggles 3 or Goggles 2 V2 with GPS, but just a guess.

That is some interesting info Pete, did not realize there are so many caveats. Goggles 3 imho is inventible, as technology always moves forward, maybe it will come out earlier for the RID requirement. There is actually one more feature that imho would be great on these newer Goggles version is to be able to select multiple color profiles, i.e. HLG or D-Log / D-Log-M. I know Goggles 2 (if not mistaken) already supports 10 bit color which I saw in the specs, it would be great if Goggles 2 allowed selecting 10 bit color profiles when paired with Mavic 3s or D-Cinelike with Mini 3 (Pro). Hoping 10 bit color and RID would make it on these newer Goggles generations...

Take care, Mike.
2023-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules