default map scale for Pilot app
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
croberts1234
lvl.1
United States

Hey all,

I searched every variation of keyword I could think of and came up with nada, so I thought I'd ask the good folks here if anyone (or everyone) knows how to get around this map issue. This is with P3P, latest FW and app (though I had the same problem with 1.1.9, skipped 1.2.6 out of FUD). I'm using Samsung S5 (happily, although I lose that connection at least once per battery, but that's a different story...)

My problem is that the default scale for the map screen is like half the state of Massachusetts, if I'm lucky and it's come up with friggin' North America on occasion. Makes it a wee bit difficult to, ya know, find the little bird and the local stuff and route. Of course pinching and stretching changes the scale. but it takes like 15 clumsy adjustments to get it to the same scale I want every time. And yet, unless I'm totally blind (which ain't impossible, mind you), I don't see any +/- scale buttons customarily found on map UI's. Yes tapping zooms in, but it also re-positions, so now I gotta drag the screen around towards something I can't even see off screen. on a 5.5" phone screen? And I gotta do this every time I crank it? Which lately is also every time I re-crank it from the disconnection, so I'm losing the scale in mid-flight when I can't easily sit there and pinch and stretch and twist for a solid minute.

Whew. Seriously, is there a way to make the default scale on the map view "local" as in matching the scale to the range from RTH in the settings? Anyone? Bueller?

2015-8-7
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

I've wondered the same thing. It only seems reasonable to be able to zoom in and out, otherwise the map is pretty much useless.
2015-8-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Are you guys both caching the maps from home, before getting to the take off area?
I had this happen to me one time, and I couldn't figure out why. The map showed only as the grid.
But after caching my flight area in advance, that never happens any more. In My case any way.

RedHotPoker

2015-8-7
Use props
Chawla
lvl.1
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-8-8 03:09
Are you guys both caching the maps from home, before getting to the take off area?
I had this happen ...

Nah, no need to cache, I'm on an S5 with service so I have Google Maps access live. I can see the danged map, and in beautiful detail, assuming the P3P is capable of an altitude of about 120 miles ;-)

It's not about the map not being there. It's about the scale of the map defaulting to 'seen from outer space' scale, when clearly I'm only ever going to be concerned about a range of a maximum of 2 miles. If the app can limit the range of the craft via a setting, why can't it also limit the scale of the map view, or at the very least give a checkbox to lock it into the RTH range?

I was hoping I just missed an obvious control...

2015-8-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Ok, different set of circumstances then. I was thinking of my recent situation.

RedHotPoker
2015-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules