1288 11 2022-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39878160 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I was so fond of buying Avata and placed an order the first moment it was possible - but there 2 things pushing me to cancel the order - 5.8 GHz Only transmission (Why oh Why???) in CE I expect really bad penetration in forest and SD card USB port placement - Who decided to put the ports there I can Not comprehend  ...
Well sorry for my rant but I was amazed - DJI can do better!
2022-9-2
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree I would cancel if I were you
2022-9-2
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Bigplumbs Posted at 9-2 12:04
I agree I would cancel if I were you

So your participation in this forum is to tell everyone that you won't buy one, and encourage everyone else to do so??  LOL
2022-9-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

my guess is they had very little good alternatives to place the microsd card.  it's a design issue and when laying out board, there's not a lot of room to work with and you don't have a lot of choices especially when the drone is small.  most of us old school depend on the microsd but one of the big reasons (again, my guess) for including on-board memory is so you don't have to work with the microsd card.  it's likely that half of the users probably won't even bother to install a microsd card, does it even come with one?

dont have the drone in front of me; look it over.  any suggestions on where else you would have placed it?

if i were to guess in a number of short years, there won't even be a slot any longer.  sd cards are from the 2010s, i'm surprised we still use them.
2022-9-2
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

You can use the DH-Companion to force FCC (2W vs 0.025W in CE) on the Avata, but it means you are going to spend 40€ more.

Personally, knowing that there's a hack I wouldn't count it as a problem... because the main problem here comes from the CE legislation. 5.8Ghz is (theorically) where you want to fly an FPV, but on the other hand, DJI knows that ripping off the 2.4Ghz band leaves the drone unusable for europe unless it's hacked.

The main problem for me with the Avata is the lack of proper bundles (drone+new goggles+standard controller) at a fair price.
2022-9-2
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

The Saint Posted at 9-2 13:02
my guess is they had very little good alternatives to place the microsd card.  it's a design issue and when laying out board, there's not a lot of room to work with and you don't have a lot of choices especially when the drone is small.  most of us old school depend on the microsd but one of the big reasons (again, my guess) for including on-board memory is so you don't have to work with the microsd card.  it's likely that half of the users probably won't even bother to install a microsd card, does it even come with one?

dont have the drone in front of me; look it over.  any suggestions on where else you would have placed it?

You are right But if there was a way to transfer the files to PC other than sd card or usb which is even harder i gues... Remain to be seen as order is not canceled yet ;)
2022-9-2
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 9-2 13:25
You can use the DH-Companion to force FCC (2W vs 0.025W in CE) on the Avata, but it means you are going to spend 40€ more.

Personally, knowing that there's a hack I wouldn't count it as a problem... because the main problem here comes from the CE legislation. 5.8Ghz is (theorically) where you want to fly an FPV, but on the other hand, DJI knows that ripping off the 2.4Ghz band leaves the drone unusable for europe unless it's hacked.

I used dh services before and 40 euro are not a problem, yet but building a cineloop ment to go in the forest or buildings and strip it from better penetrating frequency is nonsence
For the bundles I dont bother as I have Dji fpv alreadi and bothe naked Avata, but it's quite obvious dji is selling old pile of unsold motion controlers
2022-9-2
Use props
d-boone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34144 ft
Switzerland

did you try the hack? Is the signal penetration better with it? Here I struggle to fly around my house without signal being lost. Really frustrating
2022-9-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ian in Londons review showed poor signal going behind just one tree.
2022-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

When in doubt, don't overtake.
2022-9-5
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are hacks available to enable FCC mode for it.  The SD card placement is certainly inconvenient,, but it’s really not that big of a deal.  If the SD card placement is the reason you are cancelling, then you really weren’t interested in it in the first place.  
2022-9-5
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The Saint Posted at 9-2 13:02
my guess is they had very little good alternatives to place the microsd card.  it's a design issue and when laying out board, there's not a lot of room to work with and you don't have a lot of choices especially when the drone is small.  most of us old school depend on the microsd but one of the big reasons (again, my guess) for including on-board memory is so you don't have to work with the microsd card.  it's likely that half of the users probably won't even bother to install a microsd card, does it even come with one?

dont have the drone in front of me; look it over.  any suggestions on where else you would have placed it?
... that's what I thought too, that the internal memory might be good enough.  
But, it lasts a little more than the flight time of one battery, which is a shame...
And, to retrieve this data, you have to plug in the USB cable again, and that's even more problematic on the road than when you're working on the PC at home...
So you have to practice a bit to remove the SD card, or you can use a suitable USB-C cable that fits into the connector relatively easily...

By the way, to get the data from the Avata you don't need to insert the battery, and the Avata doesn't have to be switched on either, just connect the USB-C cable...
2022-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules