Compass Calibration Question
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 119741 ft
Canada

I am seeing a problem when I try to calibrate my compass. Using an iPad I launched the DJI Pilot app and select compass calibration. The rear lights on the Phantom 3 turn yellow. I hold the Phantom 3 horizontal and rotate it counter-clockwise. The rear lights turn green. I then point the Phantom 3 nose towards the ground and again rotate the unit counter-clockwise. Instead of getting the rear lights flashing green rapidly, I get the rear lights flashing green slowly and the status bar on my iPad says that it is safe to fly. The problem is that if I try to fly it, the Phantome 3 goes into a wide circle just after lift-off and I can't control it. My understanding is that this is a result of a bad compass calibration. I've done this in many different locations (except I don't try to fly it) and I never get the rapidly flashing green lights. Am I missing something or am I doing something wrong??
2015-8-7
Use props
hundleton1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

are you wearing any jewelry or anything metal on your person ?

are you calibrating in an open area away from any metal ?
2015-8-7
Use props
AlmostTan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 118665 ft
United States

What is your MOD value after you calibrate the compass?
2015-8-7
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Try rotating your whole body and not just the phantom. So, once round horizontal, once round vertical.
2015-8-7
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-8 08:45
Try rotating your whole body and not just the phantom. So, once round horizontal, once round vertica ...

do it the way Jim said, and hold it 5 feet off the ground, make sure u r away from your car or any metallic objects in your pocket or if u wearing a heavy metal belt. hell get naked and do it in middle of a field!!LOL.
2015-8-7
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

hundleton1 Posted at 2015-8-8 07:23
are you wearing any jewelry or anything metal on your person ?

are you calibrating in an open area ...

No there is no metal around me or on me. I am in the middle of  a field with no trees or any metal objects nearby.
2015-8-8
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

AlmostTan Posted at 2015-8-8 07:35
What is your MOD value after you calibrate the compass?

I will need to check that the next time that I try to calibrate the compass. What should it be?
2015-8-8
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-8-8 08:45
Try rotating your whole body and not just the phantom. So, once round horizontal, once round vertica ...

I am rotating my whole body and not just the phantom. I wonder why the horizontal works as it should but the vertical does not.
2015-8-8
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Crowesnest Posted at 2015-8-8 21:32
I am rotating my whole body and not just the phantom. I wonder why the horizontal works as it shou ...

I said once round but keep circling until you get the light change. I did one this a.m. and it took more than one rotation on the downward spin. My compass usually reads between 1400-1500.
2015-8-8
Use props
fgavazzeni
lvl.2

Italy

sure that you do not have to calibrate it nose up ? i mean with the camera side up ?
2015-8-8
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

per the manual's Indicator Light Description, they are supposed to flash green slowly when "safe to fly GPS". Nowhere in the manual's description does it address or have "green lights flashing rapidly". It wil only flash rapidly for a brief moment when home point has been has been recorded.
Page 12 of the manual…………….
2015-8-8
Use props
Booradley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11349537 ft
United States

Crowesnest Posted at 2015-8-8 21:31
No there is no metal around me or on me. I am in the middle of  a field with no trees or any metal ...

Cell phone?
2015-8-8
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-9 02:06
per the manual's Indicator Light Description, they are supposed to flash green slowly when "safe to  ...

That's was what I was wondering. However, when you look at the DJI Tutorial video "How to Fly" it shows the light flashing rapidly after the calibration with the nose down. I am curious if any or everyone has the same experience as I do where you never see the rapid flashing of the lights when you complete the calibration.
2015-8-8
Use props
Crowesnest
lvl.3
Canada

There was a cell phone nearby that was being used. And after it was turned off the Phantom did fly normally but I still never got the rapidly flashing green lights at the end of the compass calibration.
2015-8-8
Use props
hundleton1
First Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Crowesnest Posted at 2015-8-9 03:46
That's was what I was wondering. However, when you look at the DJI Tutorial video "How to Fly" it  ...

you know I'm not sure i will do one tomorrow and check, its one of those things i do but but not takes much notice of .
2015-8-8
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

Also, make sure to be away from concrete. The rebar can cause a bad compass calibration
2015-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules