angle landing legs, motor, propellers, arms
5403 28 2015-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gadget1963
lvl.1

Canada

Hi everyone. I had a mishap with my inspire which resulted in some 'tweaking' of the factory setup. along with some broken propellers and a ruined prop quick attach plate, it took a pretty hard hit to one of the landing shocks (from the side). This snapped the shock absorber and it appears that it twisted the landing legs/motors/propellers so they have a sharper lean than the other side. Although I could assume the other side is ok and match the side that appears twisted to it, does anyone know what the correct angle is? Contacted DJI (which went very well by the way) and all they could do was offer me warranty repairs and I would have to send it in with a current 8 week turn around (plus border issues from Canada of course). Not a big enough issue for me to loose it till almost winter. If someone can provide that angle, could you also tell me at what position it is at (landing/flight/transport)? It may be the same at all positions. As for the shock, I do not feel it is critical for 'normal' flying, but if someone knows where I can get the shock and mounting assembly (crashed unit being parted out?), I would appreciate it.
Thanks
2015-8-8
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

you mean both motors on one side are twisted more than the other? or just one motor on one side is twisted different than the other one?  The angle is controlled by the smaller bar under the carbon tube that goes to the body and the carbon tube for the arm have the mounting plates for the feet glued so much theres no way they will move on the tube, if they are out of line somethings broke/bent.  How are you adjusting this arm angle? looking at mine i see no way to adjust it thats popping out at me.
2015-8-8
Use props
gadget1963
lvl.1

Canada

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-9 05:45
you mean both motors on one side are twisted more than the other? or just one motor on one side is t ...

both motors on one side. My understanding is that the tube assembly has the components all 'glued' to the main horizontal carbon fiber tube that the 2 motors and landing feet/antennas are attached to. The tube then has a clamp that has a screw that is accessible under the 'warranty' sticker that is attached to the small lower carbon fiber tube going to the fuselage (maintains angles as landing gear goes up and down). My understanding is that it twisted the horizontal tube on this clamp from the factory setting and I should be able to loosen the clamp (voiding warranty?), twist to factory angle, re-tighten clamp and I am on my way.
2015-8-8
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

gadget1963 Posted at 2015-8-9 05:57
both motors on one side. My understanding is that the tube assembly has the components all 'glued' ...

ah yes, i think youre right, i didnt have good light and didnt notice it had a sticker on it, thought it was glued as well.  That should work if you are able to get it to hold position.  If it is just a clamp that tightens on the horizontal tube you should be fine doing that, if theres like a set screw or something that actually presses into the horizontal tube and damaged the tube you might have issues.  I didnt remove the sticker so im not quite sure how it works but id love to know what you find out.  

I can tell you for a fact that the angle isnt too important as long as its close and you have clearance from the props to the nose of the craft.  I crashed mine and broke one of my arms and fixed it with a garden hose splice.  I just friction fit it to make sure it would work before attempting to glue it into the tubes and it worked pretty well but it does twist on the tube slightly sometimes since the motors are so powerful.  Gluing wouldve prevented this issue and I regret not doing it but thought it would be best not too in case i needed to find something longer/stronger to use for a splicer and wanted to be able to get it back apart if it didnt work.  Unfortunately I also had some wires rip out of the plug on the esc board in the foot which i stuck back in the plug, plugged it in and hot glued in place on the board in order to get it to work and that process was very difficult due to the wire being very short and not having much room to work with and I dont really wanna mess with this part again so ive been flying for a couple months with the motors on the same arm sometimes at different angles with no flight problems at all.  I might take it apart and glue it if it gets much worse, or buy a new arm if get some extra cash.  They cost $400 and my fix cost $2
2015-8-8
Use props
gadget1963
lvl.1

Canada

There was a thread on here where a member tracked down raw carbon fiber that was very close to the same size and he managed to replace it himself. In my case, just the landing foot needs replacing. I agree that the angle likely isn't too critical. I think it leans out about 10 degrees, but would like to know fro sure. Have a Phantom I bought used and the guy had 'hard' landed it. Bent the molded plastic so the one prop was scraping on the upper housing. Still flew well, but I eventually replaced the 2 housing halves anyway.
2015-8-8
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

gadget1963 Posted at 2015-8-9 06:39
There was a thread on here where a member tracked down raw carbon fiber that was very close to the s ...

that was my original intent, to replace with a thicker stronger carbon tube but as the motor/foot mounting plate ends are glued on the tube and impossible to remove i had to abandon this plan.  Id be very curious to learn how/if he was able to do this successfully.
2015-8-8
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

If you want a new foot they are $175, http://www.drone-works.com/inspire-1-landing-foot/
2015-8-8
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-9 06:51
If you want a new foot they are $175, http://www.drone-works.com/inspire-1-landing-foot/

OMG almost ten % of the price for an inspire ala carte
2015-8-8
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-8-9 07:12
OMG almost ten % of the price for an inspire ala carte

I could be wrong, but dji doesnt sell parts and i think these guys buy whole units and disassemble them for parts, or maybe dji only sells part to dealers, at any rate this was the only place i could find parts for these things, if you have a cheaper source id love to know about it!
2015-8-8
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-9 07:24
I could be wrong, but dji doesnt sell parts and i think these guys buy whole units and disassemble ...

I dont have a cheaper source, and I agree they are disassembling, may as well buy another inspire ala carte and part out the broken one
2015-8-8
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-8-9 09:58
I dont have a cheaper source, and I agree they are disassembling, may as well buy another inspire  ...

fair enough.  Personally id rather spend 175 instead of 3000 to fix the problem, but to each their own! ;D
2015-8-8
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-9 10:01
fair enough.  Personally id rather spend 175 instead of 3000 to fix the problem, but to each their ...

Lets hope we dont have to,  I feel sorry for those that are having those problems.
2015-8-9
Use props
gadget1963
lvl.1

Canada

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-9 06:51

Wow! lol. Thought I was so good at web searches. Never found any place that sells the foot. May wait on it and see how long I can stand to look at a damaged bird (that I own). Likely won't be noticed by anyone but me and should be ok as long as I don't land hard. Like to find it for a bit more reasonable price.
2015-8-10
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Lots of people crash, might be able to get a used one with/without antenna if youre lucky. I'd post asking on forums and Facebook inspire groups, the forum at inspire pilots com feel far more populated and active than this forum in my experience fyi.
2015-8-10
Use props
ryanmac
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6890879 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a similar crash where the carbon fiber tube and motors were shifted. I adjusted the motors back which I thought would fix it but now the fuselage is titled slightly. The drone still flys fine but when I rotate the drone the camera horizon is thrown way off. If anyone knows of anyway to fix this that would be awesome!!
2015-8-10
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

ryanmac@zoomint Posted at 2015-8-11 09:34
I had a similar crash where the carbon fiber tube and motors were shifted. I adjusted the motors bac ...

so essentially youre saying the main body is tilting to one side as you fly? I dont see how thats possible unless you have both arms out of alignment with the body but in line with each other somehow. in landing mode the bottoms of the feet are tilted inward slightly, is that how you set yours?
2015-8-10
Use props
gadget1963
lvl.1

Canada

ryanmac@zoomint Posted at 2015-8-11 09:34
I had a similar crash where the carbon fiber tube and motors were shifted. I adjusted the motors bac ...

If your camera is showing a tilted horizon, is that not a calibration issue? Thought there is a procedure where you place unit on a level surface and do the calibration (IMU??). Don't have my unit here to look through the menu.
2015-8-11
Use props
gadget1963
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks for everyones input on this. Didn't get the exact answer on the tilt angle, but enough to feel confident that the legs do lean in slightly and I will match the over leaning side with the opposite side. I did confirm yesterday that there is a clamp screw under the warranty sticker. Loosened it and the tubes turn easily. Will set it up as soon as the new props arrive. Also, I will do as suggested and look at the other sites for used parts. So glad that my 'bad' decision of flying circumstances didn't result in anything more serious.
2015-8-11
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

Yea you're lucky, my arm broke like toothpick. I have one if the first versions, maybe yours is newer and they made the tubes thicker.
2015-8-11
Use props
ryanmac
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

gadget1963 Posted at 2015-8-12 00:28
If your camera is showing a tilted horizon, is that not a calibration issue? Thought there is a pr ...

I tried the IMU Calibration and it still has not fixed the problem
2015-8-12
Use props
ryanmac
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

sultangris01@gm Posted at 2015-8-11 13:16
so essentially youre saying the main body is tilting to one side as you fly? I dont see how thats  ...

Yes Both are slightly inward in landing mode. Here is the annoying and weird part. Matching the angle on the landing gear in landing mode is easy but When It goes in "flying mode" the legs are no longer matched.
2015-8-12
Use props
sultangris01
lvl.4

United States

ryanmac@zoomint Posted at 2015-8-13 00:08
Yes Both are slightly inward in landing mode. Here is the annoying and weird part. Matching the an ...

then id guess you have a bent control rod or a loose clamp on the control rod, but if clamp is loose they shouldnt be aligned anymore when going back to landing mode.  the bottom of the feet are tilted inward in landing mode, they arent perfectly straight up and down if thats what youre talking about, thats normal.  cant remember flying mode position, but there may be angle there as well.
2015-8-12
Use props
Czyka
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>
United States

gadget1963 Posted at 2015-8-11 12:38
Thanks for everyones input on this. Didn't get the exact answer on the tilt angle, but enough to fee ...

The answer is 4-5 degrees.  How did this work out for you?
2015-10-28
Use props
Thompsonrh
lvl.2

Canada

Hi Gadget 1963
Old post but I wonder if u ever got an answer to yr question?
I have exactly the same problem, Inspire 1 Pro got a sideways hit (its too embarrassing to explain) but one pair of legs is twisted inwards I think (although Im not sure whether the left or right side is correct). If there is a fairly straight forward adjustment that could set both sides to the correct angle, whatever that angle is, love to know what that fix is.
2016-7-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Thompsonrh Posted at 2016-7-29 03:43
Hi Gadget 1963
I have exactly the same ...

I would say that the best course of action would be to send your unit in to the North American Support Center for repair in order to keep the warranty in tact.
2016-7-28
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Thompsonrh Posted at 2016-7-28 16:43
Hi Gadget 1963
I have exactly the same ...

Not perfect, but to give you a starting point. When I take my iPhone and check the value on the side of the motor housing (drone sitting on 100% level surface) the angle is 3 degree.

Sorry first photo should not be there.
IMG_0153.jpg

Inspire Pro

Inspire Pro
2016-7-28
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

For calibration of motor boom angles, See: http://forum.dji.com/thread-48845-1-1.html

2016-7-28
Use props
Cougar1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Might also depend on what propeller/motor type you are using, mine are different on a brand new Pro but booth sides are at 3 Degree when measured on the side of the motors.

DSC00320.jpg
2016-7-29
Use props
AnzacJack
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3501650 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm just wondering if anyone has tweaked this so that the blades are perfectly horizontal when the booms are up instead of an anhedral angle. I would think this would be more efficient use of the lift. But... I'm also thinking the angle may be to help banking due to such a low c of g.
2016-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules