Do your cached maps ZOOM-in Automatically? How?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

I am an Android user, so my Pilot App is 1.2.0. Lately I have noticed that others DO NOT seem to have to zoom-in on their cached maps when flying. Is this true?

Whenever I fly, I always cache the area beforehand (at home in wifi environment) so that I can see my flight path layer on the map. Okay, great. BUT, in the field I always have to zoom zoom zoom several times and get my general area on the map prior to taking off.  In other words, the image starts with entire continental US in the little map window (The aircraft symbol is on there as well, but the map shows the entire country).

I thought all this zooming was a necessary procedure and quite normal until just yesterday, reading some posts, but now I'm not so sure?
Can someone chime in here as to whether they must also zoom repeatedly to get their map the right scale?  If not, what am I doing incorrectly?

Thanks
Phil

Phantom 3 Advanced
300A Controller
Samsung Tab Pro 8.4 (Android 4.4.2) with WiFi and GPS only
Pilot App 1.2.0
Firmware 1.2.8

PS- Map "zooming" is NOT in the manual. :-)

2015-8-10
Use props
Nicholas Rønsho
lvl.3

Denmark

On Google Maps there is a little "easter egg"  Zoom in to the desired area, then in the search field, type: okay maps

Then it asks for at name to save the map

Regards

Nicholas Rønshof
2015-8-10
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Nicholas Rønsho Posted at 2015-8-11 00:21
On Google Maps there is a little "easter egg"  Zoom in to the desired area, then in the search field ...

Thanks and Yes, I understand that very well - "OK Maps" is a nifty feature - and I have always done that  at home prior to flying in a new area.
Here is what I currently do the night before:
1. Go to Google Maps on my device with the satelitte layer on, zoom in and go all-around the area, then save it using "OK Maps" as noted, then close GM; then,
2. Open the DJI Pilot App, enlarge the map window and do as I did in #1 (except for any save command - there isn't one, is there?), then close the Pilot App.
3. Turn off wifi and turn off the device until I go to fly.

BUT, the map still starts out as stated (shows the entire nation rather than just my general area). Can you be more specific in what one must do - exactly - in the field so you do not have spend so much time zooming to get ready for take off?
2015-8-10
Use props
Superfantastic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 396398 ft
United Kingdom

setup your phone as a hotspot and then when out connect to your mobile using wifi and then you can use wifi only tablet and get live maps over celular using phone.
i use an ipad mini wifi and connect to ,iphone and it works a treat, and see no interference doing so.
2015-8-10
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Superfantastic Posted at 2015-8-11 02:42
setup your phone as a hotspot and then when out connect to your mobile using wifi and then you can u ...

Thanks, but I guess I'm not being clear. I do not desire or need a live WiFi connection.

I have maps offline, and these are just fine. To get a useful, detailed view, I have to zoooooom in to my cached map just before taking off.

It would be great if the scale of the map started out at maybe 1/2 mile wide in the small window, instead of approximately 3,000 miles wide. Is it possible to do this?
2015-8-10
Use props
Nicholas Rønsho
lvl.3

Denmark

AerialLens Posted at 2015-8-11 01:01
Thanks and Yes, I understand that very well - "OK Maps" is a nifty feature - and I have always done ...

Ive also found out, "in the dji pilot app" if opening Google Maps first, then Dji Pilot app, then the map is loaded correctly on your location, and not the hole region.
2015-8-11
Use props
AerialLens
lvl.3

United States

Thank you, that does seem to work, but only if the App is NOT exited before turning off the device.
I'm probably missing an essential step or two.
2015-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules