2640 13 2015-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gntlc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2575 ft
United States

Hi all,

I just got my Phantom 3 pro last week. and I have done some filming with it..  With the Phantom 2 vision plus when I started the recording it just continued to record until i stopped it..

I noticed with the P3 I have started recording and it has made it into two different files without me stopping and starting again. I looke to see if there was a setting that needs to be changed.. Has anyone seen this or know the setting to look at..

I need it to continue to recording for at least 15 minutes.. I use it to record my Drum Corps drill and then edit the muisc to it and the two different files makes it a wee bit harder to edit..

thanks in advance..
2015-8-10
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

Don't take this as gospel but I think I read somewhere it might have to do whether the card is formatted as FAT32 or exFAT
2015-8-10
Use props
FlappyBird
lvl.2

United States

The most likely reason is, that you record in a very much higher resolution now than with the P2. If you set the P3 to record in 4K, you can go for just 14 minutes and you reach about 4  giga byte file size. Your SDcard is most likely formatted using the FAT32 file system. The FAT32 file system has a hard limit of 4 giga bytes per file. That's why the P3 will start a new file every time this limit is reached.

There are two possible solutions to this problem:
1. Use a lower resolution, like 1080 HD. That will reduce the amount of data generated by factor 4.
2. Re-format your SD card using the exFAT file system. Windows 7 and up can format the SD card using the exFAT file system. You can then record files larger than 4GB.

For more info, Google:  exfat vs. FAT32

Hope that helps  :-)
2015-8-10
Use props
FlappyBird
lvl.2

United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-11 10:43
Don't take this as gospel but I think I read somewhere it might have to do whether the card is forma ...

LOL... you beat me to it, greenbean.
2015-8-10
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2
Australia

It's a limitation.
The maximum size of the file (I think) is about 4Gb, once it reaches that it starts a new file.
2015-8-10
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2
Australia

Damn..... You all beat me to it.
2015-8-10
Use props
Lil' Outdoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 294777 ft
United States

If you are in the dji go app, tap on the little remote controller icon at the top and it should take you to the settings menu. On the side of the menu there are tabs, tap the tab on the bottom that has ... on it. Scroll down and you should see a setting that says "auto cleanup video cache larger that 2 GB" turn that off. I hope that helped
2015-8-10
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

FlappyBird Posted at 2015-8-11 10:49
LOL... you beat me to it, greenbean.

My P3's are my first respectable quads and if it were not for forums I would have sold them already…..it's a learning curve for sure. Between controlled flying, imaging, and editing it's a bit daunting having had zero experience.
2015-8-10
Use props
sevenout00
lvl.1

United States

What drum corps are you with. I marched back in the 80's with Valley Fever and BD and from 2000-2008 with the Renegades.
2015-8-10
Use props
gntlc
lvl.1
United States

sevenout00 Posted at 2015-8-11 12:40
What drum corps are you with. I marched back in the 80's with Valley Fever and BD and from 2000-2008 ...

I am with the Hawthorne Caballeros..  Congrats on your BD Crew winning again..
2015-8-12
Use props
gntlc
lvl.1
United States

To everyone that responded thank you soo much I will try all these and let you know.. You Folks rock..
2015-8-12
Use props
gntlc
lvl.1
United States

Update..

So I i formatted my SD cards.. and I made the change in settings .. When I looked at the video it still did it with two files..  and the one stopped at 3.9.. so at first I thought it did not work. But I remembered that I had to reset the camera so think the video clean up might have reset.. so I am going to do it again and see what happens..  
2015-8-18
Use props
fansb3afb3fd
New
Flight distance : 55525 ft
United States

9-26-17 I have a Phantom 3 Pro and have the same issue as above: When recording a 4K video, the camera would make 2-3 files during a 14 minute flight.:
(1) Went to DJI's recommended faster micro-SD card: UHS-1 @ 64 gig
(2) Changed the format to the (exFAT)
(3) Turned off all cache options within the drone.
(4) After 1/2 dozen 14 minute video tests...continued to dial the quality setting from 4K down to 1080 before it finally would make a continuous 14 minute clip

Does anyone have anything new on this subject that would allow for high rez long recording that hasn't been mentioned here & above?

Funny thing about this post...I'm trying to help my oldest son record his marching band "practice run-through" show who is a HS band director in the Seattle area. Both him and his younger brother marched the Seattle Cascades & went on to the Crossmen & Cadets until they aged out. DAMN cool stuff where I spent years volunteer driving for the kids.  Cheers!
2017-9-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

gntlc@live.com Posted at 2015-8-18 12:32
Update..

So I i formatted my SD cards.. and I made the change in settings .. When I looked at the video it still did it with two files..  and the one stopped at 3.9.. so at first I thought it did not work. But I remembered that I had to reset the camera so think the video clean up might have reset.. so I am going to do it again and see what happens..

There is no way to stop this happening. Once a file reaches 4GB in size, a new file will be created automatically. And there will be a small gap of a few frames between the two files. In the P4, the same thing happens, but there is no gap in the recordings.

Changing the formatting from FAT32 to ExFAT will not solve the problem, your only choice is to record at a lower resolution so it will record for longer before hitting the 4GB limit.
2017-9-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules