What frame rate for video?
2376 6 2022-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpaceForceCmdr
lvl.2
United States

Just wondering what most people are using?  24p, 30p or 60p?  I've seen some youtube videos where they mentioned preferring 30 fps, but not all of those were geared towards drone videography.  They did mention the 180 rule, where if you're shooting 30 fps, you'd use a 1/60 shutter speed.  So, what does everyone think?

2022-10-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There is no rule.  Use whatever gets the results you want.
2022-10-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Pilots on this. You may also want to check some tutorials on Youtube about shooting techniques and the best video resolution to suit your needs. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have other inquiries. Thank you.
2022-10-24
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

I use 30 fps, because it is the highest frame rate available that allows 4K on Mini 2 and  for all the features of the Air 2s (on Air 2s, APAS and Active Track are not available at 60 fps).
2022-10-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There is still a couple of things to take into consideration.
1. Faster shutterspeeds will lead to less stuttering.
2. The 180 degree rule will help prevent stuttering too
3. If you want to shoot artificial lighting, it is best to stick to the 'region' you are in. So for PAL area, the frequency of the grid can cause flickering in artificial lighting if you don't align with that (25-50fps). If you are in NTSC area, 30 or 60 ar best.
4. If you want to combine footage from other camera's, make sure they are shot in the same framerate (or half / double). So 30-60 OR 25-50. Otherwise you will get frame skipping, which looks aweful.
Now this might not be relevant if you 'just' want to shoot some drone footage, but those 4 things are quite important if you

Some 'claim' that 24fps equals cinematic footage, but 24fps is the slowest framerate you can get away with and it is the hardest to shoot in because there are such big gaps between the frames.
You can get cinematic looking footage at any shutterspeed. If you know what you are doing.
For me it is 50fps 2.7K on the Mini 2. So I can slow my footage down if I want to (for extra smooth movement).
And I don't need 4K myself.

2022-10-25
Use props
SpaceForceCmdr
lvl.2
United States

Thanks, all!  I did some testing at 30 fps yesterday, and it looks good to me.  I tried setting the shutter to 1/60, but it kept wanting to raise the exp. comp too much.  I'll have to experiment some more, but just leaving it on auto and letting it do it's thing seemed OK.
2022-10-25
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

SpaceForceCmdr Posted at 10-25 01:55
Thanks, all!  I did some testing at 30 fps yesterday, and it looks good to me.  I tried setting the shutter to 1/60, but it kept wanting to raise the exp. comp too much.  I'll have to experiment some more, but just leaving it on auto and letting it do it's thing seemed OK.

If you want to slow down the shutter speed, you need to put ND filters on the camera.
2022-10-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules