Waypoints and Fly app
1175 5 2022-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf5f0f0fc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3340 ft
France

I renew the wish expressed by many others you add TRUE waypoints, i.e really autonomous (uploaded) missions, to Fly app.
That's a pity the excellent video capabalities of my Air2 S are compltely ruined by the "virtual stick" feature and the jerky footage obtained as soon as the wind overcomes 5 Knt and you fly at low altitude.
If this "virtual stick" is dictated by security reasons, it seems to me that it should be possible to impose a RTH in case connection is lost even during the course of an embarked mission.
At least with "virtual sticks" one can imagine that it could be possible to fix the jerk by a special gimbal setting smoothing the yaw movements of the drone.
Thanks in advance for your attention.

2022-11-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. To further confirm, can you please elaborate on the "Virtual Stick" feature that you're referring to? If you can share with us a sample video presenting the said function, it would be much appreciated. Furthermore, regarding your feedback about the waypoints, we will have it forwarded to our related team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at (www.dji.com). Thank you for your continued support.
2022-11-14
Use props
fansf5f0f0fc
lvl.2
France

DJI Tony Posted at 11-14 02:17
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. To further confirm, can you please elaborate on the "Virtual Stick" feature that you're referring to? If you can share with us a sample video presenting the said function, it would be much appreciated. Furthermore, regarding your feedback about the waypoints, we will have it forwarded to our related team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at (www.dji.com). Thank you for your continued support.

Hi, DJI Tony.
I am an old DJI customer (I owned several Phantom3, Mavic Pro 1st generation etc.). With DJI Go and DJI Go4, it was possible to fly authentic autonomous missions, I mean missions during which headings and altitudes at every waypoints were uploaded to the drone memory before starting the course. Any correction to deviations due to air turbulances or else was thus calculated almost instantaneously by the drone CPU together with gimbal adaptations to the drone attitude changes.
Now with Fly app the aicraft has to trnsmit his actual position and flight data to the RC and the device is in charge, 1- to calculate the  changes in drone attitude needed for corrections; 2- to send via the RC the necessary commands exactly as a pilot acting on the sticks (virtual sicks). When there are turbulences (wind gusts for example) all these operations may induce delays between the deviation from the programmed path and its correction by the device action on its "virtual sticks" large enough for rendering the flight chaotic, ruining the video. The following footage that I realized last september with my Air2 S illustrates what you obtain under moderate wind and gusts conditions :

I precise that had an excellent connexion with the drone since I never was more than 250m in direct line of sight.

I never had such catastrophic results with my drones using the previous DJI apps allowing onboard upload of the mission. The present video overcame any attempt of stabilization with Adobe Premiere. Just a trash...
Hereunder is a part of the actual path followed by the  drone during this mission (KLM in Google Earth). One can see the numerous waves induced by the "virtual sticks" actions which resulted in this infamous video :
2022-11-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansf5f0f0fc Posted at 11-14 07:00
Hi, DJI Tony.
I am an old DJI customer (I owned several Phantom3, Mavic Pro 1st generation etc.). With DJI Go and DJI Go4, it was possible to fly authentic autonomous missions, I mean missions during which headings and altitudes at every waypoints were uploaded to the drone memory before starting the course. Any correction to deviations due to air turbulances or else was thus calculated almost instantaneously by the drone CPU together with gimbal adaptations to the drone attitude changes.
Now with Fly app the aicraft has to trnsmit his actual position and flight data to the RC and the device is in charge, 1- to calculate the  changes in drone attitude needed for corrections; 2- to send via the RC the necessary commands exactly as a pilot acting on the sticks (virtual sicks). When there are turbulences (wind gusts for example) all these operations may induce delays between the deviation from the programmed path and its correction by the device action on its "virtual sticks" large enough for rendering the flight chaotic, ruining the video. The following footage that I realized last september with my Air2 S illustrates what you obtain under moderate wind and gusts conditions :

Thank you for the detailed description of the issue. Please note that it has been forwarded to our relevant team for feedback. We will write back as soon as we have received an update about your concern. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-14
Use props
fansf5f0f0fc
lvl.2
France

DJI Tony Posted at 11-14 23:10
Thank you for the detailed description of the issue. Please note that it has been forwarded to our relevant team for feedback. We will write back as soon as we have received an update about your concern. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks Tony for your feedback.
I would point in addition that altitude corrections to comply with the programmed path appear to be well absorbed by gimbal adaptations while only yaw corrections give rise to unacceptable jerky movements of the camera. This behaviour never happened with my "old" DJI drones under Go or Go4 apps allowing native "true" autonomous waypoint missions with embedded flight instructions. I imagine that this was the result of a better coordination between the drone IMU (inertial unit and compass) and the gimbal control unit. Could DJI pay attention to this glitch ?
2022-11-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansf5f0f0fc Posted at 11-15 03:38
Thanks Tony for your feedback.
I would point in addition that altitude corrections to comply with the programmed path appear to be well absorbed by gimbal adaptations while only yaw corrections give rise to unacceptable jerky movements of the camera. This behaviour never happened with my "old" DJI drones under Go or Go4 apps allowing native "true" autonomous waypoint missions with embedded flight instructions. I imagine that this was the result of a better coordination between the drone IMU (inertial unit and compass) and the gimbal control unit. Could DJI pay attention to this glitch ?

Hi there. Thank you for your additional input. As advised by our engineers, you may try calibrating the RC, IMU, and compass for better drone performance. And regarding the "True Waypoints" request, please note that it has been forwarded to our related team. Hopefully, this will be added to the next firmware updates. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules