Difficulty navigating through narrow field of view
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
suhailimtiaz
lvl.1

United States

Hello everyone - I'm a newbie and just purchased a Phantom 3 Pro a few weeks ago.  Overall, I'm really happy with it, but one thing I'm really struggling with is judging distances of objects as I pass by them (looking through my mobile device at what the drone's camera sees) -things appear to be much closer than they really are.  I'm guessing it is because the narrower field of vision (which is great for avoiding fish-eye effect on pics - but feels like tunnel vision from a flight navigation standpoint). Any tips/advice you all could offer up would be very much appreciated.  
2015-8-14
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

You should always fly line of sight so you should be able to directly see where the P3 is at all times as well as the obstacles around it.   

The screen should only be used for framing shots and not FPV flying.  

I always ensure I'm close to the craft when flying in close quarters, sometimes walking directly behind it to stay out of the shot.
2015-8-14
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-15 06:22
You should always fly line of sight so you should be able to directly see where the P3 is at all tim ...

Well stated. Flying using only the screen is a guarantee to crash...
2015-8-14
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-15 06:22
You should always fly line of sight so you should be able to directly see where the P3 is at all tim ...

Yeah, I do the same exact thing.  I keep flip flopping my vision between the screen and the P3.  When far away it only takes literally a second or two to loose site of it.

One trick I do now is if I do loose site of it, I aim the front towards me using the screen or radar map as a guide, then go forward pretty fast for a few seconds, then let go of the controls.  The fast-braking makes a pretty loud noise.  I can usually spot it right away.  Then go back to what I was doing, keeping LOS.
2015-8-14
Use props
Bobcat90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2517654 ft
  • >>>
Taiwan

LICENSED PILOT Posted at 2015-8-15 06:27
Well stated. Flying using only the screen is a guarantee to crash...

Very true.  
2015-8-14
Use props
suhailimtiaz
lvl.1

United States

Thanks everyone - appreciate the quick replies.  Totally get what you all are saying about keeping LOS, but sometimes despite LOS, the distance makes it hard to see how close you are to a tree for example (flying down a neighborhood street) and so I attempted to use the video screen for some guidance but that is where the narrow field of vision doesn't help either.  I guess I will just have to fly it a bit higher - free and clear from any potential obstacles and maintain LOS
2015-8-14
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

suhailimtiaz Posted at 2015-8-15 08:48
Thanks everyone - appreciate the quick replies.  Totally get what you all are saying about keeping L ...

(flying down a neighborhood street) ???
2015-8-14
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HunterBrooks Posted at 2015-8-15 07:55
Yeah, I do the same exact thing.  I keep flip flopping my vision between the screen and the P3.  W ...

VERY SMART.
2015-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules