1404 17 2023-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_R91AqRHuauEb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1514948 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hello, i would like to ask something regarding RTH.
I was in a situation that i ignored wind promts and like 2k far for me and 500m on height.
Battery was going low so i turned it back, and then i realized the wind was super strong, even at sport mode, it was going backwards!
So in that case i tried to lower it, doesnt loose signal and things went good.
So the question is, what happens in the case lets say RTH is set in 120m and im flying to 500 and wind is blowing and i loose signal lets say at 300m?
Will the aircraft keep try to fight the air with no luck and eventually land on that spot?! I guess it cant lower the height if you are above RTH height, right?!

drones are mavic3 and mini 3 pro(this happened yesterday with mavic, i guess with mini I would still look for it)
2023-1-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

correct, i dont think drone will lower to rth setting if you lose the connection.
2023-1-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The drone will not lower only climb to RTH height.  
2023-1-2
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Btw on Mavic 3 DJI implemented Smart RTH option I think it's called where the drone would automatically choose the height of return and optimal path, but don't know how safe it is, I turned it off.
2023-1-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The advanced smart RTH option is a good option but you need to be confident obstacle avoidance it will try to avoid wind by lowering itself it will ignore rth pre set and come home the shortest route I have used this in tricky situations and it works really well but can be a heart stopper.
2023-1-4
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

In a case like this if you are running really low in battery and you know you are not going to make it because the wind and you are far away, the problem if keep lowering is that you will lose connection eventually and you will do not know with exactitude where the drone landed. What I did in a case like this before was change my Home point location manually to a place behind the drone to make sure the drone will make it and then call RTH. The drone will land in your desired spot where you have the chance to recover the drone later.

In my case I set to land next to a road where I pickup the drone. I drove with my car. This happened to me with a DJI Mini 2 but will apply to any DJI drone.
I always download the Offline maps to be able to see offline the satellite view. This can do the difference from land in a wet spot or in the grass.
2023-1-4
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 1-4 13:28
The advanced smart RTH option is a good option but you need to be confident obstacle avoidance it will try to avoid wind by lowering itself it will ignore rth pre set and come home the shortest route I have used this in tricky situations and it works really well but can be a heart stopper.

Yes likewise Hallmark, I actually have never used advanced rth myself, because I would be worried about the drone being able to avoid all obstacles and if I don't have a connection to the drone, that is very worrying. I try to return with 25% of battery left, I usually get about 20 minutes of flight time with this. I also test fly back speed when I am flying somewhere where I need to film, if I get 11-14 meters per second going back (I turn around and try to fly back in normal mode) , then I continue flying to destination, if I get like 3-5 meters per second trying to fly back due to wind, I usually don't fly far away at all.

Take care, Mike.
2023-1-4
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

ZeuS-FL Posted at 1-4 14:10
In a case like this if you are running really low in battery and you know you are not going to make it because the wind and you are far away, the problem if keep lowering is that you will lose connection eventually and you will do not know with exactitude where the drone landed. What I did in a case like this before was change my Home point location manually to a place behind the drone to make sure the drone will make it and then call RTH. The drone will land in your desired spot where you have the chance to recover the drone later.

In my case I set to land next to a road where I pickup the drone. I drove with my car. This happened to me with a DJI Mini 2 but will apply to any DJI drone.

That's a good strategy Zeus, this way you can recover your drone later on, never had to use this myself, but it's a good idea in case of an emergency situation like if you are running out of battery and no way to return safely to your original home point.

Take care, Mike.
2023-1-4
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mzp Posted at 1-4 14:43
Yes likewise Hallmark, I actually have never used advanced rth myself, because I would be worried about the drone being able to avoid all obstacles and if I don't have a connection to the drone, that is very worrying. I try to return with 25% of battery left, I usually get about 20 minutes of flight time with this. I also test fly back speed when I am flying somewhere where I need to film, if I get 11-14 meters per second going back (I turn around and try to fly back in normal mode) , then I continue flying to destination, if I get like 3-5 meters per second trying to fly back due to wind, I usually don't fly far away at all.

Take care, Mike.

I look at it this way. If RTH malfunctions then it’s a warranty issue. This is an advertised without any prejudice or explained limitations. So if DJI is prepared to stick their neck out then I don’t fear this method of rth if it crashes then I’m covered. The only problem might be there is no path to home point and craft has to land in a location you cannot get to. So it needs careful planning as all rth paths do. But I have tried it and it works well at first you will wonder why you set this but once tried it becomes an option in some conditions particularly if you’re flying in high winds.
2023-1-4
Use props
djiuser_R91AqRHuauEb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1514948 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds good, can it also go around a blocked location? Tried the normal RTH yesterday and i realized that it was stopped because of a blocked area! Super scary, i managed to fly it around safe!
2023-1-5
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 1-4 14:52
I look at it this way. If RTH malfunctions then it’s a warranty issue. This is an advertised without any prejudice or explained limitations. So if DJI is prepared to stick their neck out then I don’t fear this method of rth if it crashes then I’m covered. The only problem might be there is no path to home point and craft has to land in a location you cannot get to. So it needs careful planning as all rth paths do. But I have tried it and it works well at first you will wonder why you set this but once tried it becomes an option in some conditions particularly if you’re flying in high winds.

That's a good point Hallmark, since it's offered, it is considered standard, maybe I will try it one day.

Take care, Mike.
2023-1-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_R91AqRHuauEb Posted at 1-5 01:28
Sounds good, can it also go around a blocked location? Tried the normal RTH yesterday and i realized that it was stopped because of a blocked area! Super scary, i managed to fly it around safe!

I have no idea it any drone can navigate around a restriction zone but there is a thread on MavicPilots in which Suren demonstrates that his Mavic 3 can, whilst in RTH, automatically descend to fly UNDER an air space corridor.
2023-1-5
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612503 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

RE: RTH question!

But if you keep lowering and eventually the connection it's lost, stardard RTH will trigger at the height that you have reached.

Case example:
1) RTH set to 120m height
2) You are flying in 500m height
3) You ignore the low battery message
4) When you are trying to come back, the strong wind at 500m don't let move along
5) You start to lower the height praying for not lose signal...
6) You finally lost signal at 200m height
7) RTH will trigger at these height (200m) automatically because signal has been lost
8) The drone will not lower the height to 120m, but the wind it's less strong at 200m, so it's probable that the Mavic can sort the wind at 200m and come back alone successfully.
All this maneuver it's only valid if you really trust that the drone can come back with the remaining battery.

LESSON: NEVER AVOID THE WARNING MESSAGES!

I hope I have explained myself, sorry for my bad English.
2023-1-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Bit confusing...

7) RTH will trigger at these height (200m) automatically because signal has been lost

RTH will trigger at any height when signal is lost.

cheers
JJB
2023-1-5
Use props
Cobani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612503 ft
  • >>>
Argentina

JJB* Posted at 1-5 12:43
Hi,

Bit confusing...

Yes, at any height, but I quote the case that the other user has described (they said ´´not lower the height so much because it will lose signal´´).

In the OP case (500m height and without move because the high wind) I would have lowered the height as much as possible until I ran out of signal and wait to RTH and pray for the Mavic that it can return with the strong wind to the height that has been left (200m as an example).

In any case, if a strong drone like the Mavic 3 couldn't move because of the high winds, it was definitely a bad decision not to pay attention to the high wind warning.
In order for a mavic not to move due to the wind, it has to be an extremely strong wind.
2023-1-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow, 500 meters, eh?  
2023-1-5
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RE: RTH question! [[url=]Modify[/url]]

When you call RTH while connected, if the drone goes lower and you lose conectivity in the process, the drone will not trigger RTH again, the drone will contrinue the trajectory to the disered homepoint originally iniciated manually

2023-1-5
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cobani Posted at 1-5 12:09
But if you keep lowering and eventually the connection it's lost, stardard RTH will trigger at the height that you have reached.

Case example:

RTH only triggers one time. If you hit RTH and you lose connectivity the drone will keep going to the home point even if lost connectivity.
2023-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules