issue with compass and calibration, I keep getting an error warning!!
2723 16 2015-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dean.s.fryer
New

United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm in desperate need of some help or support. basically I flew just over 24hrs ago and had a fantastic time being my 5th flight (phantom 3 is less then 1 month old bought from brand new). I then went home and charged my battery for my next flight then went out around 18hrs later and when I turnt on my phantom 3 and controller I got the following error message and I cannot re calibrate the phantom at all.

"intensive electromagnetic interference nearby, please make sure no magnets or metal objects are near the compass and keep the aircraft above 1 metre of the ground"

Now my concern is I have flown in the same area twice before and never had any problems, its an open field where im flying with no power lines, radio masts etc and only has three barns (which I was no where near!).

I contacted DJI support and they have told me that the compass is broken and I need to send it back to the store I purchased it from, I cannot think for the life of me though how this could happen as I have never crashed the quad, nor had any hard landings on hard surfaces!

any ideas what could of happened and how I can rectify the problem without sending my phantom back.
2015-8-19
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

are you attempting to take off close to cars?
2015-8-19
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

it wont let you cali your compass at all?
2015-8-19
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Few questions

1: Does it let you re-calibrate the compass in the location you try and fly? If so, does re-calibration work and is the flight OK?
2: Where do you store the P3. Is it near anything with magnets? Do you transport it in a car and have it near one of the speakers?
3: What do the sensor values look like ( can you screenshot it? )
2015-8-19
Use props
Deanscott1408
New

United Kingdom

sploodge no it will not let me re calibrate  the compass at all, i store the phantom in the middle of my room on top of its original box and when i transport it in my car its in the middle of the rear seats (just incase it falls on yhe ground and i can reach back to pick it up) the sensor values all work besides the compass when i checked.
2015-8-19
Use props
Deanscott1408
New

United Kingdom

skygod14 like i stated im flying in the middle of a field so no interference. im annoyed to think i have had it less then a month and DJI live support just turn around and say its broke and needs to go back. i have spent over £900 i dont expect that sort of answer
2015-8-19
Use props
littlejohn
lvl.1

Italy

try an Imu calibration, mine showed the same problem
2015-8-19
Use props
Deanscott1408
New

United Kingdom

littlejohn Posted at 2015-8-19 23:31
try an Imu calibration, mine showed the same problem

tried that and still nothing, emailed DJI and still waiting for a reply! not a happy bunny no flying for a long time by the looks of things
2015-8-20
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Deanscott1408 Posted at 2015-8-19 19:05
sploodge no it will not let me re calibrate  the compass at all, i store the phantom in the middle o ...

If you power it on in the middle of your living room ( no props obviously ) take a screenshot of the sensor values and post it here.. Interested to see what they are..
2015-8-20
Use props
Deanscott1408
New

United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-21 00:06
If you power it on in the middle of your living room ( no props obviously ) take a screenshot of t ...

im not getting any compass values at all. Im sorry with the lack of photo but for some reason i cant get them to upload to my laptop
2015-8-20
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So on the sensor screen in the App you have no values for compass?

If thats the case the compass might be damaged or the cable inside managed to come loose..

11846373_10152922842866090_1748628552_n.jpg
2015-8-20
Use props
Deanscott1408
New

United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-21 00:14
So on the sensor screen in the App you have no values for compass?

If thats the case the compass mi ...

yes im not getting any values at all. i wish i was
2015-8-20
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Deanscott1408 Posted at 2015-8-21 01:17
yes im not getting any values at all. i wish i was

Does not look good if there are no compass values.. have you had a hard landing? The compass is in one of the legs..

There is a chance it has just become loose from its connector inside?
compass inside.jpg
2015-8-20
Use props
Deanscott1408
New

United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-8-21 01:38
Does not look good if there are no compass values.. have you had a hard landing? The compass is in  ...

yes i know tell me about it, only had the thing less then a month. no hard landings at all by the way. im not taking the thing apart as i dont want to void my warrenty. dont know how long it takes for DJI to answer their bloody emails tho!
2015-8-20
Use props
derris
lvl.1
Flight distance : 90423 ft
United States

I had the same issue. Doing an IMU calibration fixed the problem for me.
2015-8-20
Use props
nats
New

United States

I have this same problem. Frustrating for sure. Ive done everything to try and calibrate each item...still safe to fly sometimes works and then I get compass calibration warning in red across top of screen. Seems to be a problem for a lot of us.  How do you get DJI to fix it?
2015-9-17
Use props
DarrenDCClark
lvl.2

United Kingdom

nats Posted at 2015-9-18 04:51
I have this same problem. Frustrating for sure. Ive done everything to try and calibrate each item.. ...

Mine is all packed up and ready to go back to the supplier so I can hopefully get this compass issue fixed following the firmware update. I tried everything (short of replacing the compass) to sort it with no success. DJI support replied once asking for my hidden log file then all went quiet. A very unhappy bunny over the whole issue as you might imagine.
2015-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules