RS3 Pro Gripes: Custom Modes, accel, independent deadband, FPV stick
1983 4 2023-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lazymgimbal
lvl.2
United States

Longtime DJI and Ronin user here (Original Ronin, Ronin-M, Ronin-S 1, Ronin 2, RS2, RS3 Pro) and I have some serious gripes with the RS3 Pro.  It feels like DJI keeps dumbing down their product features to appeal to their consumer based constituency but totally neglects their pro users.  It's frustrating becasue while there are many aspects that are improved upon in each new evolution, certain key features are taken away needlessly.  I would love to proven wrong or educated if I'm missing something in my gripes listed below.  
#1 The Loss of Custom User Modes (outside of the gimbal mode switch)
We used to be able to press the M button to toggle between 3 custom modes on both the Ronin-S 1 & RS2.  The toggle switch is great but it limits you to only one PTF setting and now you have to menu dive to change speed and sensitivity settings.  I used to have Custom mode 1 & 2 both set in PTF mode but at  different sensitivities: mode 1 being quicker and more responsive and mode 2 being slower and less responsive.  The idea is that I could use wide lenses on mode 1 and mode 2 for telephoto lenses which require slower movements to get a stable shot.  I regularly run a 70-200mm lens at 200mm on my RS3 and now I have to menu dive to change the speed setting.  I work shooting a lot of live music and festivals and the time it takes to unlock my screen and scroll to the custom mode (because "slow" is still way too fast) eats up crucial time I might need to ready and framed up for an unrepeatable shot.
Solution: Bring back custom 1, 2 & 3 modes within each toggle position so that users can easily change their speed within each dedicated mode within having to go into the tiny screen menu.  This would give you 9 total modes betwen the 3 toggle positions.  Seems like this could be achievable in a firmware update?

#2 The Loss of Acceleration adjustment instead of just speed
Until the RS2 we were able to adjust speed, deadband & acceleration.  Again at telephoto focal lengths it is not only crucial that the speed is slow but also that the acceleration can be set manually.  The acceleration is actually the most crucial part in making sure that you don't get jumps and jerks in an otherwise smooth shot.  If I'm shooting at a music festival and I get bumped while shooting from in the crowd (very common scenario) I might over rotate the gimbal and mess up a shot because I currently have no control over acceleration.  If I was able to set my acceleration accordingly, I would have a better chance at a usable shot knowing that my acceleration was set slow enough that these bumps and orations would not be over corrected and create jerks in my movements.
Solution: Give us back acceleration control!  Put it in the advanced menu so as not to confuse the novice users.  Again seems like this could be done in firmware?

#3 The loss of independent deadband control per axis
I frequently want my pan deadband much lower than my tilt deadband!  Until the RS3 Pro we were able to set indpendent deadband values for each but now we have only one master deadband value.
Solution: Give us back indpendent deadband control.  Again, out it in the advanced menu if necessary!

#4 Joystick in FPV mode does not work
In FPV mode (not 3D roll 360) we used to be able to use the joystick to adjust pan position but now the joystick does nothing!  Its a real pain in the add when you just need to reset the gimbal to the forward position and much easier to orient that always have to reset the gimbal by double clicking.  You also cant do lateral movements wherein you counter push the joystick in the opposite direction of your movement enabling you to keep your subject center framed while using the FPV function.
Solution: Give us control of the pan axis while in regular FPV as in previous models.

#5 The loss of a 3/8-16 mounting point at bottom of gimbal
The Ronin-S 1 had both a 1/4-20 and much more secure and robust 3/8-16 female mounting point which was an excellent feature.  I used to regularly put my gimbal on a monopod via the 3/8-16 mount and confidently extend the monopod without fear that the screw would snap.  It's much more secure with the larger 3/8-16 threading.  Now I rarely extend out to far or tip the monopod for fear that the threading will snap off.  It's not worth the risk.
Solution: Bring back the 3/8-16 mounting point on newer pro model evolutions OR create a secure 1/4-20 to 3/8-16 adaptor.

Please for the love of god, listen to pro user!  I beg of you DJI!!!!!

2023-2-12
Use props
lazymgimbal
lvl.2
United States

Does anyone else care about these features??
2023-2-26
Use props
Flyin Ryan 406
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2097713 ft
United States

Yes I agree. Coming from the Ronin S I’am missing all the above. As far as the 1/4 inch to 3/8 adapter I purchased the Tilta Battery Handle Base from Amazon and it seems solid. Still not perfect as the 3/8 hole in the bottom is offset to the side. It’s the best solution I have found so far though. I feel like the RS3 pro leaps ahead in some areas and falls behind in others  compared to the RONIN S. I really hope they add back some of those options via firmware.
2023-2-27
Use props
GrahamO
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi Lazygimbal
Have any of these features been reinstated?  I 100% agree with your observations.
2023-8-27
Use props
sebastiensleek
lvl.2
Flight distance : 92457 ft
France

Wait, what ? So I bought a RS3 and there's no custom modes ???
This feature is in the RS3 Mini !!!!!  
2023-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules