Phantom 3 control question
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rusty
lvl.1

United States

Does anyone have any idea what would cause the drone to not respond when the input for "reverse" is given. During a bench test on a table without the props on the machine and after calibration and GPS connections I could not get a response from the drone when I applied reverse on the transmitter. All other inputs resulted in a response(increase/decrease in RPMs/engine noise) from the drone lift, decend, orientation L/R, side movement L/R and forward. Reverse however resulted in nothing the drone just sat there motors turning at the same RPMs/noise level.

thank you for any input.
2015-8-22
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

Motor responses to controls on the ground without the bird moving / flying will be a bit variable as all of the motor speeds are controlled based on IMU + Control inputs...

If you want to test the IMU / control is working you could 'take off' without props on and lift the model to a few feet above takeoff position and then 'rock' the Phantom.  The motors on the 'down' side of the rocking motion will speed up.

This is a pretty odd test to try though, there is so much going on in the controller of a modern multi-rotor that to test things you really need to fly it.

2015-8-22
Use props
rusty
lvl.1

United States

kiwichrish Posted at 2015-8-23 06:26
Motor responses to controls on the ground without the bird moving / flying will be a bit variable as ...

I did try the auto launch feature (on the bench) the unit revd up like you would expect but after a few seconds all 4 motors shut down. I expect that was due to not detecting an increase in altitude.

I would not expect an exact replication of flight characteristics setting on a bench with no props on the drone. I guess what I am truly asking is if anyone else has tried the same test and if so does the drones motors change rpm/noise or is there a reaction like when all of the other input commands are given.

I am afraid to try and put the drone in flight without knowing if this is normal or if mine has a fault. again thank you all for your responses

rusty
2015-8-22
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

rusty Posted at 2015-8-23 12:23
I did try the auto launch feature (on the bench) the unit revd up like you would expect but after  ...

Rusty, put the P3 in "Beginner Mode", then take it out and fly.  You really can't test the flight characteristics without actually flying it.

Not your fault, but you've been reading way too many negative posts here, and all the FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt) is working on you.  Remember, the main reason for a forum in the first place is to discuss problems.  The overwhelming number of P3 owners who are not having any issues don't post - no need to.

Now go out and have some fun.  : )
2015-8-23
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

rusty Posted at 2015-8-23 12:23
I did try the auto launch feature (on the bench) the unit revd up like you would expect but after  ...

lf you have concerns, you could tether it. My first flight with the P2 was tethered, not because of any concern about the drone but in case l had forgotten to do something (FW update and calibration-wise), or had done something wrong. l took it out on a leash tethered to the case so it couldn't go too far until l knew l had it set up as it should be.
2015-8-23
Use props
rusty
lvl.1

United States

Thank you both for the response the tether idea sounds doable and would limit possible catastrophes. I honestly have not read many negatives or horror stories involving any of the Phantoms (other than seemingly user errors). But the fact that this particular drone has a response for every transmitter input except "reverse" has me worried that there is something not right.

Can anyone verify the motors respond when the input is given for reverse. On this drone when the "forward" input is given (mode 2 right stick pushed forward) the motors rev up extremely high (as expected) but when the "reverse" input is given (mode 2 right stick pulled back) there is no change in motor RPMs
2015-8-23
Use props
rusty
lvl.1

United States

Update---the issue was operator error the control had somehow been switched to mode 3 after switching to mode 2 it is functioning as expected. thank you all who responded. Now for some fun.
2015-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules