Avata out of control - Goggle height goes up while drone descends
772 6 2023-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

In this video, you can see that as soon as I hand launch the Avata, the altitude in the goggles starts increasing while the drone is actually descending. The drone is completely out of control right at launch. What is going on? It eventually recovers, but this same problem caused a crash before.
Anyone seen something like this before?

2023-4-15
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Personally I would not hand launch the Avata at all.

Did you pull the trigger enough? Seems completely harmless, not enough "juice" to climb.
2023-4-15
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

SeehawerB Posted at 4-15 12:04
Personally I would not hand launch the Avata at all.

Did you pull the trigger enough? Seems completely harmless, not enough "juice" to climb.

Yes it was harmless this time and it recovered, but other times it's been out of control for much longer and I ended up crashing (no video unfortunately). I *really* had to pull the trigger to keep from sinking - normally never have to do that.
Why would you never hand launch the Avata?
2023-4-15
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 673862 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi, I keep hearing bad stories about hand launching...

Could It be also that the Avata typically rises to a 1.5m waiting position after you press and hold the Lock button.
This is from when it launches from the ground.
Also, which controller are you using?
2023-4-15
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

Mini-G Posted at 4-15 19:57
Hi, I keep hearing bad stories about hand launching...

Could It be also that the Avata typically rises to a 1.5m waiting position after you press and hold the Lock button.

Hand launching an Avata, you hold it from the top, unlike the other DJI drones you hand launch from the bottom. Wonder if that's an issue? Or am I doing it wrong - should I be hand launching by holding it from below?

I'm using the Motion Controller 2. How would the controller be an issue?
2023-4-15
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 673862 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hmm not sure then.
Maybe you be it would be a good idea to do a calibration?
2023-4-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for the inconvenience. We want to help you investigate this. Kindly check your inbox as we sent you a PM to gather more details. Thank you.
2023-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules