United States

can someone tell me the difference between these 3? especially dlog and dlog m

2023-5-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. You may refer to the information below:

D-Log M: D-Log M allows the camera sensor to record enough dynamic range. As the photo has been processed, it leaves less room for grading in post-production compared with D-Log, but you can more easily color grade during post-processing.

D-Log: D-Log allows the camera sensor to pull as much dynamic information from the scene, get the maximum dynamic range compared with other color modes, and give you more flexibility in your post-production as the photo is not processed. But it will devote more time to post-processing as LUTs should be used to color grade D-Log footage before post-processing. For more details, refer to D-Log D-Gamut Whitepaper.  

HLG: HDR videos of the Mavic 3 Pro fall within the HLG video standard.
2023-5-28
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

Also be aware of the different file sizes each of them create.
It's best to do a DIY test by recording of a minute each, during a hover of the same scene.

And the ISO's available differ.
2023-5-28
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

DLOG have the biggest DR, 10 bit. Still, DLOG is less than LOG, as we talk at DJI about Limited RGB DLOG, so DR from Mavic 3 will always be lower than LOG from Autel Evo2Pro for example.

DLOG-M is DLOG without balls, as DR is less, 10 bit (is closer to Normal profile). You can still edit it well, as you have 10bit and will not see banding.

Normal is 8 bit and can be moderately edited as you are constrained by color banding. Is good for fast works or lazy persons.

2023-5-31
Use props
flojo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42175 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Geo_Drone Posted at 5-31 03:52
DLOG have the biggest DR, 10 bit. Still, DLOG is less than LOG, as we talk at DJI about Limited RGB DLOG, so DR from Mavic 3 will always be lower than LOG from Autel Evo2Pro for example.

DLOG-M is DLOG without balls, as DR is less, 10 bit (is closer to Normal profile). You can still edit it well, as you have 10bit and will not see banding.

I hope you do not curse me, If I make a little correction/addition:

Normal is 8 Bit 4:2:0 color on the Mavic 3 Pro, however on the Mavic 3 Pro Cine when recording in ProRes (all three) you get 10 Bit 4:2:2. But, you would not buy the Cine and then go for the normal profile. I think most Cine pilots use D-LOG, for the 3x D-Log M (because this is sadly the only "Log" option we have right now) and sadly the 7x is only available in normal color profile at the moment. So for this lens, the Cine could be better. But that is a lot of money only to have a better color profile for one lens (which is the least best of all three).
2023-5-31
Use props
Geo_Drone
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

flojo Posted at 5-31 05:39
I hope you do not curse me, If I make a little correction/addition:

Normal is 8 Bit 4:2:0 color on the Mavic 3 Pro, however on the Mavic 3 Pro Cine when recording in ProRes (all three) you get 10 Bit 4:2:2. But, you would not buy the Cine and then go for the normal profile. I think most Cine pilots use D-LOG, for the 3x D-Log M (because this is sadly the only "Log" option we have right now) and sadly the 7x is only available in normal color profile at the moment. So for this lens, the Cine could be better. But that is a lot of money only to have a better color profile for one lens (which is the least best of all three).

Sure, I am happy to see added info to explanations.

Of course, in order to get ProRes and invest so much in Cine version I do not know if is justified, as you also stick with an SSD (another stupidity from DJI, I would always prefer a V90 card instead of SSD, as if is gone, you loose all data, and connecting it to save a ProRes file between works is not possible as takes a lot of time because of huge format).

But is all about people choices...and each one will choose as it considers.
2023-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules