Stuck in portrait mode (Action 3)
2216 10 2023-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
username exist
lvl.1
Sweden

I noticed that my DJI Osmo Action 3 is stuck portrait mode, perhaps the orientaion sensor is broken.
However the camera won't change from vertical (portrait mode) to horizontal mode.
The orientation lock is off....
Latest FW
Horizon calibrated
Also tried Factory reset

PLZ help

2023-6-1
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

1. turn the camera horizontally
2. lock and unlock orientation lock

you only did it vertically in the video so now try doing it horizontally.
2023-6-1
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Typisk svenske

Haha no just joking, but like osmonauta said, turn it horizontal.
2023-6-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Please try to restart the unit and perform a factory reset again: Slide down the main image transmission page, and select Settings>Factory Reset. You may also follow the recommendation of osmonauta above. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-6-1
Use props
username exist
lvl.1
Sweden

osmonauta Posted at 6-1 06:35
1. turn the camera horizontally
2. lock and unlock orientation lock

2023-6-1
Use props
username exist
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Gamora Posted at 6-1 20:51
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Please try to restart the unit and perform a factory reset again: Slide down the main image transmission page, and select Settings>Factory Reset. You may also follow the recommendation of osmonauta above. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Well... now magically it works.
Right before I was about to film the factory reset and restarted the camera for the 10th time it just started working.

It's clearly a bug of some sort. I dont see anything I did wrong... (?!)

I have been using the camera for months and never seen this behavoir before.
The problem started yesterday when I was about to film out at the sea.
When I started the camera it was just stuck in portrait mode--- tried to restart it many times and lock / unlock the orientation, but it was still stuck.
In the end I had to film in portrait mode just to get my shots. (The camera is held in a horizontal position in the picture below)

Back at the office i started troubelshooting and did all the things that stated in the first post. (Yes, I tried to turn the camera horizontally,  lock and unlock orientation lock like osmonauta suggested before posting in the forum)
Then I posted to this forum.
Today, back at the office, the problem was still there.
Restarted the camera a bunch of times.
Filmed my fifth atempted to hold the camera horizontally,  lock and unlock orientation lock like osmonauta suggested - but it did not work. (see video in Post #5)
Just now, before filming the factory reset it just started working again.

I think something is wrong with the camera and I hope this never shows again.
Thanx for all the input.
Skärmbild 2023-06-02 102842.jpg
2023-6-1
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

I have experienced myself that sometimes when I start recording in horizontal, the video comes in vertical.
After the 2nd time I experienced it, I make sure that the screen shows that the video is horizontal before I press record. Let a little second pass before I press record.
I think it has something to do with the fact that a little tilt is enough to tip it over, often happens when you point the camera down.
2023-6-2
Use props
username exist
lvl.1
Sweden

johansenfoto Posted at 6-2 00:58
I have experienced myself that sometimes when I start recording in horizontal, the video comes in vertical.
After the 2nd time I experienced it, I make sure that the screen shows that the video is horizontal before I press record. Let a little second pass before I press record.
I think it has something to do with the fact that a little tilt is enough to tip it over, often happens when you point the camera down.

Well.. I tried tilting the camera to get out of portrait mode several times - - even in the video in Post #5
This is very strange
2023-6-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

username exist Posted at 6-2 01:03
Well.. I tried tilting the camera to get out of portrait mode several times - - even in the video in Post #5
This is very strange

I didn't see your video until now, and yeah that is totally a bug indeed.

2023-6-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

username exist Posted at 6-1 23:56
Well... now magically it works.
Right before I was about to film the factory reset and restarted the camera for the 10th time it just started working.

Hi there. Thank you for the update. If the issue persists more often, please send your unit to us for further checking. You may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. If you need assistance with creating a ticket, you may contact DJI support at (https://www.dji.com/support). Thank you for your kind understanding and support.
2023-6-5
Use props
mustuner
New
Flight distance : 2686729 ft
Indonesia

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with my DJI Osmo Action 3 camera. It fell to the ground from approximately 1 meter while the camera had its protective case on. After this situation, only the landscape mode of my camera works. It never switches to portrait mode.

Considering that it is an action camera, such a simple fall is unacceptable for this feature to be damaged. I'm currently on a cycling tour in Indonesia and I can't produce 9:16 content.

Please consider the following situations before responding.

- The camera's orientation lock is off.
- Latest FW installed.
- Performed factory reset more than 20 times.
- Horizon calibration has been calibrated many times.

I don't want to believe that there is a problem caused by falling. We use these cameras in difficult conditions. They must be very solid. Currently, I do not have the chance to take the product to the service for repair. As I said, I'm on a challenging cycling tour in Indonesia, producing content for Instagram and YouTube. I already bought the camera from Thailand.
3-10 20:24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules