Poor 360 stitching
1854 18 2023-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
isdoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2251119 ft
United Kingdom

Not sure if it is the Mavic 3 Pro, but I am finding the stitching in the drone for 360s is often very poor.

I am talking about major distortion on roads for examples where the road is split or worse.

Is this the same with all Mavic 3s or just the Mavic 3 Pro, or just mine?

I would perhaps blame the wind, but not at under 8mph

Any thoughts?
2023-6-7
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

If you're using the auto generated pano, I'd just ignore that and stitch it with 3rd party software.
PTGui Pro, Microsoft ICE etc.
2023-6-7
Use props
isdoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2251119 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks.

Looked at PTgui Pro but it isn't cheap!

On a mac

Do these software products keep the 360 exif so that one can upload to Facebook / Google Photos etc.
2023-6-7
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

isdoo Posted at 6-7 23:44
Thanks.

Looked at PTgui Pro but it isn't cheap!

I 'acquired' mine from the Internet.

No, you'll need to use 'Exif Fixer' https://exiffixer.com or 'PanoramaStudio 3 Pro' or similar to generate the metadata into the photo after you've processed the 'flat panorama'. Then FaceBook will recognise to 360 image.  
2023-6-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Not sure if it is the Mavic 3 Pro, but I am finding the stitching in the drone for 360s is often very poor.
The built-in panorama feature is very basic and you'll always get better results using dedicated stitching software.

I am talking about major distortion on roads for examples where the road is split or worse.

I would perhaps blame the wind, but not at under 8mph
It has nothing to do with wind, and is related to the subject matter.
Some things are easier to stitch.
Large areas of water/sky or other relatively featureless areas are difficult to stitch.

2023-6-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Could you please send us the original files showing the issue so we can check? You may upload the files via Google drive and send the link here. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-6-8
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137425 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-8 04:57
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Could you please send us the original files showing the issue so we can check? You may upload the files via Google drive and send the link here. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Here are 3 different kinds of panoramas I took from same spot all with same issue in the center.

Panoramas and source files here >>
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lOOw8PRo-kvBpbqHxktVx4tfQnUdfVzQ?usp=share_link
2023-6-8
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Masemoto Posted at 6-8 15:02
Here are 3 different kinds of panoramas I took from same spot all with same issue in the center.

[view_image]

Different location similar issue.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xk5t54lbEgQsriSJEBN8WqcirZKQOVYT/view?usp=share_link

2023-6-8
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Different location but it stitched the water/horizon without issue.

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 4.27.23 PM.jpg
2023-6-8
Use props
MHM
Second Officer

United States

I have no issues.......
2023-6-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

[view_image]

Your issue is mostly due to your subject matter.
Any stitching software needs to find many matching pairs of distinct points in adjoining images.
When you have large areas of featureless water or blue sky, the software can't find points to match and you get bad stitching, even more so with basic stitching like the in-drone feature.

Shots like your examples are always going to give you trouble.
2023-6-8
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-8 16:44
Your issue is mostly due to your subject matter.
Any stitching software needs to find many matching pairs of distinct points in adjoining images.
When you have large areas of featureless water or blue sky, the software can't find points to match and you get bad stitching, even more so with basic stitching like the in-drone feature.

Okay well DJI asked for examples and I provided them some so maybe they can tweak their stitching and do better. Only one shot/seam seems to be off on the entire horizon and no issues in similar panos I took with sky and water so they are not far off.  Just annoying to see that smack dab in the middle of the photo which I would think would be the easiest frames to stitch since it's the first frames, straight on with no kind of distortion to deal with.
2023-6-9
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Masemoto Posted at 6-9 07:21
Okay well DJI asked for examples and I provided them some so maybe they can tweak their stitching and do better. Only one shot/seam seems to be off on the entire horizon and no issues in similar panos I took with sky and water so they are not far off.  Just annoying to see that smack dab in the middle of the photo which I would think would be the easiest frames to stitch since it's the first frames, straight on with no kind of distortion to deal with.

maybe they can tweak their stitching and do better.
I doubt it.
Even dedicated stitching software can have problems where there are no distinct points for the software to match, like your examples.

Just annoying to see that smack dab in the middle of the photo which I would think would be the easiest frames to stitch since it's the first frames, straight on with no kind of distortion to deal with.
Distortion is not the problem, it's a lack of distinct features on large areas of blue sky and water, and since you put that in the middle of your panoramas, it's going to cause a problem more often than you'd like.

2023-6-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

[view_image]

Thank you for your response. First, the Panorama function was launched to resolve the smaller view of the existing camera. The principle of the Panorama function is to capture several photos with a certain overlap ratio and stitch them into a single photo for a wider view. Stitching is a process of searching for the edge parts on two images through an algorithm and overlapping the areas with the most proximate imaging effects to complete auto-stitching of the images. When the target is shot at a close distance, the coincidence degree between photos shot will become lower. As such, the software algorithm is unable to match the photo images, resulting in an error with the stitching position or a stitching error. If a panoramic photo is poor in quality after stitching, it is often due to two possible reasons. The first is an excessively low overlap ratio for the photos that were shot. The second is a substantial change in the capturing environment, leading to a significant exposure difference in each photo.

Here are some solutions for panoramic photos shot by drones:

1. Please avoid capturing when there is strong wind. When taking a panoramic shot, keep the aircraft still. Please try capturing in an environment that is not windy and check if the stitching is still abnormal.

2. Please stand as far away from the capturing target as possible. It is recommended to capture a target from 50 m away and then view the stitching effect.

3. Try capturing in an environment without wind after gimbal calibration and IMU calibration.

4. Try formatting the microSD card or using another microSD card. Before formatting the microSD card, please backup the data on it.

5. Try using a mobile device to capture.

6. Refresh the firmware and try capturing again.
2023-6-10
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 6-9 15:08
maybe they can tweak their stitching and do better.
I doubt it.
Even dedicated stitching software can have problems where there are no distinct points for the software to match, like your examples.

Thanks for your 2 cents but Lightroom was able to stitch them together a whole lot better than DJI could so definitely room for improvement on their part. Nothing more distinct than a clear horizon line with high contrasting sky and water to match up the shots... Anywho will just use LR to recreate the problematic panos for DJI going forward. Thx.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 at 8.11.08 PM.jpg
2023-6-11
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Look closely enough and you will always find irregularities with any stitched image. Most are close enough for me.
2023-6-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Masemoto Posted at 6-11 19:09
Thanks for your 2 cents but Lightroom was able to stitch them together a whole lot better than DJI could so definitely room for improvement on their part. Nothing more distinct than a clear horizon line with high contrasting sky and water to match up the shots... Anywho will just use LR to recreate the problematic panos for DJI going forward. Thx.

[view_image]

Thanks for your 2 cents but Lightroom was able to stitch them together a whole lot better than DJI
The built-in stitching feature is pretty basic.
But Lightroom and even better dedicated stitching software can have problems if your subject matter doesn't have enough features to be able to match.
Lightroom managed to work this time because of the clouds above the horizon.
If the sky was clear blue, it might have had difficulty.
2023-6-11
Use props
Altadog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1066 ft
United States

Just tried a panorama sphere with the Mini 4 Pro.  Terrible stitch errors.  Took the directory of unstitched photos to PT Gui and discovered the problem.  Not enough overlap.  In my case, it was a room.  I was able to add some control points to several of the ceiling shots but in one case, didn't have a clue what it was near.  PT Gui did a lot better with the shot after I added some points, but still had a pretty big glitch.  DJI could improve this feature with more overlap, resulting in more pictures.  It should be at least a 30% overlap.
2023-9-30
Use props
VPIX
New

United States

I've had my DJI 3 Pro Cine for ten months now.  It never stitched the pano correctly.  I thought it was a calibration issue.  My AIR 2S stitches panos inside the camera with zero issues.  New firmware does nothing. Un-fucking-believable. It's a $5,000 drone, which can't stitch as well as a $1400 drone.    This is how companies like DJI get a PR black eye and a lousy reputation fast. Boom.
2023-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules