Camera Module Only Looping Video
1088 6 2023-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Simes4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi.
I bought the Action 2 to use the camera only as a helmet safety camera for my commute. I don't need long duration recording or battery life as my commute is short. I do need looping which the Action 2 has. As yet I cannot get looping to work at all. The internal memory fills up and instead of overwriting it just stops recording. I've tried different durations including Max ond Off. Can someone tell me how to get looping to work on the camera module only?

Thanks

Simon

2023-6-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The “Loop Duration” option determines the number and duration of the video clips. The storage space occupied by shooting is calculated in advance, and, if the calculated storage space is greater than the current residual storage, the warning “insufficient storage” will appear. If you need a longer loop duration, we highly recommend that you purchase a storage card with a larger capacity. Hope this helps. Thank you.
2023-6-8
Use props
Simes4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 6-8 04:46
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The “Loop Duration” option determines the number and duration of the video clips. The storage space occupied by shooting is calculated in advance, and, if the calculated storage space is greater than the current residual storage, the warning “insufficient storage” will appear. If you need a longer loop duration, we highly recommend that you purchase a storage card with a larger capacity. Hope this helps. Thank you.

Thanks but I specifically bought the Action 2 to use the camera module on its own as a light and compact cycle helmet safety camera (used like a dashcam). I need it to loop so that it records over the oldest footage when the internal storage is full. I then don't have to worry about the camera stopping recording mid ride.  I only use the battery module to charge. I do not want to have both modules on my helmet as this is larger and heavier than the Go Pro Session I was using previously. How to I get the camera module on its own to loop and record over the oldest footage?
2023-6-8
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Simes4 Posted at 6-8 07:16
Thanks but I specifically bought the Action 2 to use the camera module on its own as a light and compact cycle helmet safety camera (used like a dashcam). I need it to loop so that it records over the oldest footage when the internal storage is full. I then don't have to worry about the camera stopping recording mid ride.  I only use the battery module to charge. I do not want to have both modules on my helmet as this is larger and heavier than the Go Pro Session I was using previously. How to I get the camera module on its own to loop and record over the oldest footage?

If you set the module to record at just 1080 and 25 or 30 FPS, rather than any higher resolution, you'd have around 45 minutes of recording time before any looping might become necessary.  I've checked this out by using the module-only as a dashcam in my car to record a 25-minute journey and it works a treat.
At higher resolutions, the module will over heat and switch off recording automatically anyway.  You say your commute is quite short.  If it's less than half an hour, say, you shouldn't need looping at all.
2023-6-8
Use props
Simes4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 6-8 21:50
If you set the module to record at just 1080 and 25 or 30 FPS, rather than any higher resolution, you'd have around 45 minutes of recording time before any looping might become necessary.  I've checked this out by using the module-only as a dashcam in my car to record a 25-minute journey and it works a treat.
At higher resolutions, the module will over heat and switch off recording automatically anyway.  You say your commute is quite short.  If it's less than half an hour, say, you shouldn't need looping at all.

Now on a lower res plus battery saver with a 5min looping and it works! I wanted looping as I didn't want to have to delete files when the storage was full. A bit of a pain. If using the camera module on its own then looping doesn't seem to work at the longer recording times; 20min ,1 hour and Max. It might be because looping requires more than two clips to be stored so the oldest can be safely overwritten? A guess but 5 mins works and  is perfect for a safety cam. Thank all!
2023-6-9
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6260935 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Simes4 Posted at 6-9 01:37
Now on a lower res plus battery saver with a 5min looping and it works! I wanted looping as I didn't want to have to delete files when the storage was full. A bit of a pain. If using the camera module on its own then looping doesn't seem to work at the longer recording times; 20min ,1 hour and Max. It might be because looping requires more than two clips to be stored so the oldest can be safely overwritten? A guess but 5 mins works and  is perfect for a safety cam. Thank all!

Glad to see you got it sorted to your satisfaction
2023-6-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Simes4 Posted at 6-8 07:16
Thanks but I specifically bought the Action 2 to use the camera module on its own as a light and compact cycle helmet safety camera (used like a dashcam). I need it to loop so that it records over the oldest footage when the internal storage is full. I then don't have to worry about the camera stopping recording mid ride.  I only use the battery module to charge. I do not want to have both modules on my helmet as this is larger and heavier than the Go Pro Session I was using previously. How to I get the camera module on its own to loop and record over the oldest footage?

Hi there. Thank you for your response. It seems that you already managed to isolate the inquiry that you posted. Feel free to contact us if you have other concerns. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-6-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules