Beware of App 1.10.4 coming to DJI RC if you live in Europe!
1234Next >
16681 121 2023-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SeehawerB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5414203 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Beware:
App version 1.10.4 limits the max height adjustment to 120 meters. You will not be able to configure more, f.i. because you are on a trip into the mountains and want to fly up a mountainside. This will no longer be possible, the height of the homepoint +120 meters will be the limit. I would emphasize everyone to not updating if you plan to fly in areas that are not flat.

Possible reason for this could be the EASA C0 classification rules. Though the Mini 3 Pro is currently not classified as C0, it now will be forced to fly under the classification limits. The Mavic still has the option up to 500 meters with App 1.10.4, because of the rules C1 drones may fly higher under some circumstances and obviously you may trust the C1 pilots in this case to obey the rules while C0 pilots are unworthy to be trusted. Very strange...

@DJI
WHY do you do this to the Mini 3 Pro which currently is a so called 'legacy drone' and EASA regulations do not rule out a software based height limit for these drones?

WHY???
2023-6-24
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

Oh is it so then Dji should have mentioned the change in new app release notes.
2023-6-24
Use props
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United States

Thank you for the heads up. It's a ridiculous inclusion to an update.
I won't be updating until they include Waypoints & Cruise Control.  
2023-6-24
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

For the ones capable of german language:

2023-6-24
Use props
djiuser_qfYlZVUnFdTN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 166434 ft
Czechia

Newbie pilot here. Just wanted to say thank you for the warning, I always check the forums before I proceed with an update and this is just horrible.

Definetly not updating until this is fixed, I bought mini 3 pro with the intended 500m height limit in mind, anything less is false advertising. Hopefully its just a bug.
2023-6-24
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Thanks for posting this important information.
2023-6-24
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Not sure why DJI would do such a silly thing... It is getting worse day by day here... Does anyone know if or where DHI has a real changelog for the DJI app?

I haven't updated either because I didn't need the "new voices", but if this is true, as in it is not another new introduced bug, then DJI cannot longer be trusted with "Fixed certain issues and optimized overall app quality."
2023-6-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quite simple, just uninstall and install the previous version...
2023-6-24
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Bashy Posted at 6-24 19:08

but not on the DJI RC!
there’s no way back ‚
2023-6-24
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Exactly, no roll back option on the DJI RC!

That's why I draw a baseline now for all my DJI devices, an update freeze:
Mini 3 Pro, Mavic 3, 4x O3 Air Units, RC PRO, 2x RC, Goggles 2, Motion Controller 2, FPV Controller 2, ALL are working good, I do not have ANY complaints that would make me want some firmware fixes in the future. So I will not update anything anymore. Even the Fly App on my phone and tablets will not get any update above 1.10.0/1.10.1. And even if DJI will implement new functions I will not follow the lure.

The old saying "never change a running system" now has got a bold exclamation mark.

And AGAIN, DJI, for a legacy drone unter 250g THERE WAS NO NEED TO CUT DOWN THE MAX HEIGHT LIMIT!
2023-6-25
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Watch from 4:07 on:

2023-6-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-24 19:08

Bashy, if you are using a phone, have you got the update and have you tried to set a height greater than 400ft?
This morning I tried it with a Mini 2 and could still set 500m. I don't know if it's an inapplicable model or if the restriction is restricted mainland Europe. I might give the Mavic Mini a try later.
2023-6-25
Use props
Karl53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 290689 ft
  • >>>
Germany

This limitation of 120 metres makes the use of this drone useless in many cases.

You don't need to go to the high mountains, small hills are enough to recognise the uselessness!

If DJI does not change this, I will sell DJI drones!
2023-6-25
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Another confirmation, also in german:

2023-6-25
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

There is a simple hack to bypass the 120m limit on Dji RC however the problem is that then it remains locked to 500m only you cant lower the slider up & down to choose Max height limit for each flight.
Not much of a problem but at least with this hack one can fly upto 500m if & when needed.

I guess most countries are now starting to regulate airspace above 120m which earlier was 500m
2023-6-25
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

What is the hack then?

In germany the airspace for rc models reaches up to 762m = 2000 ft. Only drones/multicopters are limited to 120m. Over ground. This may not be mixed with "over home point". And this is what DJI now forces the Mini 3 Pro to do, staying under 120 meter above home point. There is just no point in doing that. If there is a hack or not, there is NO LEGAL REASON in doing this what DJI did with this app update for the European Community.

AGAIN, @DJI, WHY???
2023-6-25
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

SeehawerB Posted at 6-25 05:46
What is the hack then?

In germany the airspace for rc models reaches up to 762m = 2000 ft. Only drones/multicopters are limited to 120m. Over ground. This may not be mixed with "over home point". And this is what DJI now forces the Mini 3 Pro to do, staying under 120 meter above home point. There is just no point in doing that. If there is a hack or not, there is NO LEGAL REASON in doing this what DJI did with this app update for the European Community.

So as you confirm that German limit (only for drone) is up to 120m above home point that can only be the possible reason to implement the country specific height limit by Dji.

Dji wants to play safe as per country specific rules however This change should have been notified in update description so user themselves can decide weather they want to update or not.
2023-6-25
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

120m OVER GROUND LEVEL!!!

Read again.
2023-6-25
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I just ordered a mini 3 pro...
Now I think about canceling the order.

The 120m limit above ground would (maybe) be acceptable, but 120m from the homepoint is absolutely nonsense.

Hopefully this is a misunderstanding and dji will fix/remove the limit.
2023-6-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-25 01:21
Bashy, if you are using a phone, have you got the update and have you tried to set a height greater than 400ft?
This morning I tried it with a Mini 2 and could still set 500m. I don't know if it's an inapplicable model or if the restriction is restricted mainland Europe. I might give the Mavic Mini a try later.

I havent updated the phone or DJI RC, i never rush these things ;)
2023-6-25
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

SeehawerB Posted at 6-25 06:12
120m OVER GROUND LEVEL!!!

Read again.

Actual ground level as per my understanding is calculated from home point altitude measured by barometer, so if you take off from 100m building it should go up to 120m above that building.
Just test it you will get to know.
2023-6-25
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 6-25 07:02
I havent updated the phone or DJI RC, i never rush these things ;)

Sensible thinking! but if you are using a Android phone you can always uninstall the app and instal an older version. I have just done that though I moved the flight logs to computer before the uninstall and, between the uninstall and instal, I manually deleted both dij.go.v5, or whatever they are called, folders in their entirety.  
2023-6-25
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

SeehawerB Posted at 6-25 05:46
What is the hack then?

In germany the airspace for rc models reaches up to 762m = 2000 ft. Only drones/multicopters are limited to 120m. Over ground. This may not be mixed with "over home point". And this is what DJI now forces the Mini 3 Pro to do, staying under 120 meter above home point. There is just no point in doing that. If there is a hack or not, there is NO LEGAL REASON in doing this what DJI did with this app update for the European Community.

It's not so easy...
DJI tries to fullfill the requirement for the C0-category, and here, the 120m limit is based on starting-point, not over ground...

in english:Class C0 UAS are equipped with a feature that limits the maximum achievable flight altitude to 120 m above the take-off point. Although this cannot completely exclude airspace violations, it helps to avoid unnecessary violations of the regulations concerning maximum flight altitudes and reduces the risk of collision with other aircraft. Class C1, C2 and C3 UAS also allow remote pilots to set a higher limit - e.g. in areas with relaxed regulations, in model flight areas or due to special permits.

2023-6-25
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

UweE Posted at 6-25 07:24
It's not so easy...
DJI tries to fullfill the requirement for the C0-category, and here, the 120m limit is based on starting-point, not over ground...

This official statement is different:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/faq/116465
"How high can I fly my drone?
Answer
Your maximum flight height is generally 120 m from the earth’s surface.

When you are operating in hilly environments, the height of the drone above the surface of the earth should be within the grey zone in the picture below: you need to keep the drone within 120 m of the closest point of the terrain.

...."

2023-6-25
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Dirk52 Posted at 6-25 07:44
This official statement is different:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/en/faq/116465

and here is the difference:
your EASA link speaks about „open or specific category“, in which the Mini3pro flies at the moment.
but DJI looks for a C0 category, where the starting point rules.
DJI should give us the choice, in which category the flight takes place
2023-6-25
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

UweE Posted at 6-25 07:53
and here is the difference:
your EASA link speaks about „open or specific category“, in which the Mini3pro flies at the moment.
but DJI looks for a C0 category, where the starting point rules.

I think the "from starting point" is a bad wording.
If I check the Drones Information Notices Classes 0-6, the class 0 with camera has no information about the starting point. It says:
Do not fly higher than 120m from the ground.
(In German: Lassen Sie Ihre Drohne nicht höher als 120 m über den Boden steigen.)

EASA Class 0 with camera (EN)

2023-6-25
Use props
Verbalus
lvl.1
Flight distance : 678491 ft
Austria

I live in the mountains, I've had enough, it goes in the garbage.
2023-6-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 6-25 07:11
Sensible thinking! but if you are using a Android phone you can always uninstall the app and instal an older version. I have just done that though I moved the flight logs to computer before the uninstall and, between the uninstall and instal, I manually deleted both dij.go.v5, or whatever they are called, folders in their entirety.

I am sure that there is a way with the DJI RC too, certainly if you use the method that opens it up to install some 3rd party apps Glad you managed to sort yours out
2023-6-25
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

What nonsense.

They've tried to force an incorrect C0 rule on a drone that isn't, and never will be C0 certified in the first place.
There are perfectly genuine and legal reasons to go above 120m from takeoff point.  Obstructions, terrain etc.  I can see this causing more RTH crashes as it wont go above obstacles as well.

Realistically, i think the Mini 3 isnt going to get any new features so there's no reason at all to accept DJI Fly or Firmware updates - every new update may well restrict the drone.

Fortunately on Android you can simply roll back.  And its another good reason to not buy a DJI controller here you cant do that.
2023-6-25
Use props
devilsown
New

Austria

tbh i don't give as if DJI is going for any certification for their legacy drones - they can set this limit for a Mini 4 (Pro) and everyone that gets is is aware of it. But cutting down features on exisiting models with no further notice is a crappy thing to do and i'm pretty sure that there're a few countries where you can sue them for doing something like this.
2023-6-25
Use props
Nagamichisan
lvl.2

Germany

Why DJI?
You can't fly like this in an already slightly hilly environment!!!
2023-6-26
Use props
AndreFerreira
New

Germany

According to DJI Support, 1.10.5 already exists (but 1.10.4 is still displayed) I should test whether the restriction no longer exists. Unfortunately I can't test that because I don't have a Pro or N1 controller. For the RC controller there is neither 1.10.4 nor 1.10.5
2023-6-26
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Tested RC PRO and Android: no update beyond 1.10.4 available.
2023-6-26
Use props
AndreFerreira
New

Germany

just an addition from DJI support: there are no plans to limit the maximum flight altitude and it should be set back to 500 meters as usual as soon as possible.
So there should be an update soon.  let's wait a little longer
2023-6-26
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Let's hope they fixed the daily login logout as well...

Please also put the original voices back on.. The new one is cacophonic to say it nicely....

2023-6-26
Use props
fans843b5035
lvl.2
Flight distance : 228707 ft
North Macedonia

I live in Europe but not in a country that's in the European UNION. Does this affect my unit?
2023-6-26
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Japan

fans843b5035 Posted at 6-26 02:58
I live in Europe but not in a country that's in the European UNION. Does this affect my unit?

Depends if they're in EASA.

It *seems* they've done it for the UK which isnt EU, isn't EASA but still now restricted.
2023-6-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you actually experienced this yourself,   as there have been many comments on YouTube videos and many are not having this issue.
2023-6-26
Use props
SeehawerB
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Some hours ago I connected my RC PRO with my Mini 3 Pro and height was limited to 120m in the settings. Reconnected the Mini 3 Pro to its RC with 1.10.1 and height limit was 500m again.

Proof done.

You have to be in the EASA legislation territory. England is not part of this anymore so there will be no issue at all.
2023-6-26
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, SeehawerB. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. The problem has been located and will be optimized in the near future. In the meantime, please download the DJI Fly version V1.10.1 which has been uploaded to this link. Please note that version number V 1.10.4 is not updated and the current aPK file has version V1.10.1. Thank you for your kind understanding.
2023-6-26
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules