Would a simple Spirit level Icon be of any use to the DJI fly app??
511 5 2023-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geordie81
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14409554 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was out flying the other day in mild wind, and yes the drone did notify me that there was some wind and to exercise caution.

It was not overly windy, especially for the mavic 3 pro, but for a smaller drone, sure, although when I got home I still noticed movement and lack of sharpness in some of my images, even shot at 1/1500s and F/4 ISO100

My question is would a simple spirit level style toggle be of any use?

And by this I mean a level which shows the drones actual angle during flight, so if the drone is pitching or rolling during a shoot because of wind you would be able to see a visual representation on the icon in real time even though you couldnt see it on your controller/screen.

It may help if you are lining up the shot and the drone is hit by wind, you could see how the drone is actually flying right upto the second you hit the record/shoot button. the gimbals are great but they are still susceptible to movement and so having the ability to see the movement and how stable the drone is could be of use?

Maybe its a pointless idea, but cameras have a version of levels to make sure your horizon is correct, so it wouldnt be overly difficult to get the information from the IMU directly into a toggle and icon.

2023-7-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will be definitely cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-7-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The moderators wouldn't know because they don't fly drones.
But the app you fly with already has an artificial horizon feature.
Tap the arrow icon in the corner of the Map window and you'll find it.
Here are a couple of screenshots of it to show how it reacts when I rock my drone around.

But to answer your question, it wouldn't help in photography anyway.
Even when the drone is tossed around, the gimbal is working to keep the camera very stable, much better than you could handhold a regular camera.

The cause of your image's lack of sharpness would be something else, particularly if they were shot at 1/1500th.
Upload one of the full-size original images to Google Drive or similar and post a link here.
AH-1.jpg
2023-7-6
Use props
geordie81
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14409554 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 7-6 23:35
The moderators wouldn't know because they don't fly drones.
But the app you fly with already has an artificial horizon feature.
[Image]

To clarify, I never said it would help with photography, I said it would aid in visual representation in real time, so if like where I live, we are prone to random little bursts of wind, even on clear days, you could see the drone rocking.
The gimbal does it’s job but it’s not perfect and is still susceptible but I also didn’t know about that artificial horizon in the corner, I have seen it but just assumed it was another type of heading instead of using the map, so thanks for educating me on that, I will post a photo of my issues later, perhaps it is something else like you say. I am going to test out that feature you pointed out as well to see how it works, thanks for that
2023-7-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

geordie81 Posted at 7-6 23:47
To clarify, I never said it would help with photography, I said it would aid in visual representation in real time, so if like where I live, we are prone to random little bursts of wind, even on clear days, you could see the drone rocking.
The gimbal does it’s job but it’s not perfect and is still susceptible but I also didn’t know about that artificial horizon in the corner, I have seen it but just assumed it was another type of heading instead of using the map, so thanks for educating me on that, I will post a photo of my issues later, perhaps it is something else like you say. I am going to test out that feature you pointed out as well to see how it works, thanks for that

perhaps it is something else like you say.
I think so.
I do a lot of photography in very windy conditions and the images are always very sharp, even at much lower shutter speeds.
2023-7-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

At 1/1500s it seems to me like you should get sharp images while hovering.
Unless you are still flying.
I usually can get down to 1/250s without issues. Even in higher winds.
2023-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules