Upgrading to AIR 3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FRCornelis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1252884 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anyone thinking about making the jump from Classic to AIR3? I understand that any MAVIC line would be a higher tier but perhaps the new AIR brings:
-More flight time
-New transmission system (O4) with better RC
-Lighter drone / more portable (and cheaper)
-Dual camera

not sure if things like standard waypoints, and cruise control will be reserved for the big drone only.
...thoughts?

-FC
2023-7-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are happy with your Classic, then you might want to keep it front and center at least until you make sure there isn't an Air 3 Pro right behind.
2023-7-6
Use props
FRCornelis
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 7-6 14:07
If you are happy with your Classic, then you might want to keep it front and center at least until you make sure there isn't an Air 3 Pro right behind.

I agree,
Flight time, and things like waypoints it's more important to me than the dual camera.
Now, if only can we use the new RC2 with Mavic 3, that would be great (RC2 with antenas)

-FC
2023-7-6
Use props
Mastoras
lvl.4
Flight distance : 558517 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whenever they release it sometime this year you'll be able to compare. Right now is a blind shot. Plus expect an Air 3s to crap on Air 3 later on
2023-7-6
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

-More flight time- Nope. Mavic 3 battery=77Wh, Air 3 battery=62.6Wh
-New transmission system (O4) with better RC- Nope. DJI isn't going to debut a new Ocusync on a budget focused drone. O3+ would still be an upgrade over the Air2S's O3. The RC Pro will still be far better than the RC2.
-Lighter drone / more portable (and cheaper)- Yea, no and yea. Is portability really a concern? It'll take up the same amount of room in a bag as a Mavic 3.
-Dual camera- The quality of the 2nd camera will probably be a joke. One 10/10 rated camera would be better than a 8/10 + 5/10 rated camera setup. This tele camera is just a sales gimmick in my opinion.
2023-7-6
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

..sorry wrong reply
2023-7-6
Use props
FRCornelis
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 7-6 18:12
-More flight time- Nope. Mavic 3 battery=77Wh, Air 3 battery=62.6Wh
-New transmission system (O4) with better RC- Nope. DJI isn't going to debut a new Ocusync on a budget focused drone. O3+ would still be an upgrade over the Air2S's O3. The RC Pro will still be far better than the RC2.
-Lighter drone / more portable (and cheaper)- Yea, no and yea. Is portability really a concern? It'll take up the same amount of room in a bag as a Mavic 3.

Well, you make good points, in fact you make me feel good about my Mavic 3 Classic, however you are forgetting the elephant in the room....
If a new transmission system is not coming with the Air 3, then why is the N1 controller being updated to N2 without external changes? which is already capable of O3+? I understand the RC remote for better range with external antenas, better processor, maybe more nits but why the N1?
Also O3 was first introduced with AIR2S back in early 2021, then it became O3+ with the Mavic 3, so an AIR drone actually brought a new Ocusync, right?

-FC
2023-7-6
Use props
mrtechcat
New

Lithuania

Flight time depends on drone weight not just battery capacity.
O3 is already more than anyone would need. And if you live outside FCC region, new standards won't fix your limit problems anyway.

Air models usually are best bang for the buck and it would not surprise if DJI would give some extra/better camera features like they have bumped video res with Air 2s and introduced sensor crop.
Mavic 3 pro has fake triple camera with different sensor sizes, so it's like sensor crop and not  real 3 cameras. Air 3 could be better already simply be having both sensors in similar size.
2023-7-7
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

FRCornelis Posted at 7-6 21:07
Well, you make good points, in fact you make me feel good about my Mavic 3 Classic, however you are forgetting the elephant in the room....
If a new transmission system is not coming with the Air 3, then why is the N1 controller being updated to N2 without external changes? which is already capable of O3+? I understand the RC remote for better range with external antenas, better processor, maybe more nits but why the N1?
Also O3 was first introduced with AIR2S back in early 2021, then it became O3+ with the Mavic 3, so an AIR drone actually brought a new Ocusync, right?

While O3 was debuted on the Air 2S you have to remember what the drone market was like back then. O2 and the Mavic 2 Pro had been out almost 3 years at that point. In many ways the air 2S was actually an upgrade from that model. That won't be the case with the Air 3 versus Mavic 3 Pro. I don't see them releasing a flagship drone then a few months later release a budget-minded drone with an upgraded system. Plus, it would make sense to save the Ocusync 4 name for the future Mavic 4. For the RC-N2 it could have a different/additional antennas, built-in GPS for RID regulation, faster charging etc. Whatever flight time they advertise at lunch, remember to subtract 25%-33% for real world use.
2023-7-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"Upgrading to AIR 3?" ........... What's the point ??????????

You have recently bought a Mavic 3 Classic, it can't be more than 8 months old. If you buy the Air 3 will you, at the next launch, upgrade from the Air 3.
There's always going to be a new model or 3 or 4 in R&D so whatever you buy will be outdated in a few months.

Plus, do you want to pay for the 'privilege' of being a Beta tester. If it's not even know what features the drone will have, do you want to join those people who complain "my drone doesn't have 'this, that or the other'".

Before even contemplating buying I'd wait, let others test it find the bugs and deficiencies and see what is done about them.
2023-7-7
Use props
FRCornelis
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 7-7 05:29
"Upgrading to AIR 3?" ........... What's the point ??????????

You have recently bought a Mavic 3 Classic, it can't be more than 8 months old. If you buy the Air 3 will you, at the next launch, upgrade from the Air 3.

I guess you are right.
I was going to purchase Mavic 3 Pro, because I really like the telephoto (explorer mode) I think it's a lot of fun, but then I again I only fly for fun, a few times a year when I have the time. I decided for the Classic for that reason, in fact it's being delivered tody (I currently have the Mavic 2 Pro) If the 3 PRO had the option for drone only, or at least get it with the N1 controller I might have purchased that one. I don't want to use the the current RC remote (version 1 w/o antenas) But now, that the Air 3 is coming with a telephoto lens was kind of opening a can of worms.
At least the Classic has a 3x optical zoom (just for the fun of it, not for image quality of course)
I could be more than enough with my Mavic 2 Pro /w 4 batteries (with less than 40 charge cycles each) but the flight time of the 3 is much better (even when you will never get the advertised time) I'm sure I could get a realistc 30 minutes airbone which is a lot better than the 2 where I only get low 20s before I have to land it.

-FC
2023-7-7
Use props
FRCornelis
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 7-7 04:42
While O3 was debuted on the Air 2S you have to remember what the drone market was like back then. O2 and the Mavic 2 Pro had been out almost 3 years at that point. In many ways the air 2S was actually an upgrade from that model. That won't be the case with the Air 3 versus Mavic 3 Pro. I don't see them releasing a flagship drone then a few months later release a budget-minded drone with an upgraded system. Plus, it would make sense to save the Ocusync 4 name for the future Mavic 4. For the RC-N2 it could have a different/additional antennas, built-in GPS for RID regulation, faster charging etc. Whatever flight time they advertise at lunch, remember to subtract 25%-33% for real world use.

Very good thinking...
N1 controller does not have built-in GPS, I didn't think about that one.
And I guess you are right too about time frame for OC since O3 plus is not even 2 years old yet, and it's plenty of range and signal power.

-FC
2023-7-7
Use props
Killerbee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64820 ft
Netherlands

Moving from Mavic to Air would be a downgrade, as the Mavic 3 is top of the line consumer drone.
The Air 3 does close the gap between Mavic 3 and Air 2S, but it's nowhere as good as a Mavic 3.
2023-7-7
Use props
FRCornelis
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Killerbee Posted at 7-7 10:25
Moving from Mavic to Air would be a downgrade, as the Mavic 3 is top of the line consumer drone.
The Air 3 does close the gap between Mavic 3 and Air 2S, but it's nowhere as good as a Mavic 3.

I'm talking about the Mavic 3 classic with the single camera.
2023-7-7
Use props
Killerbee
lvl.4
Netherlands

FRCornelis Posted at 7-7 10:29
I'm talking about the Mavic 3 classic with the single camera.

Still a downgrade. The whole Mavic 3 line is superior to the Air 3 line.
2023-7-7
Use props
waynepj3gmail.com
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

It won’t compete with the Mavic 3 but will likely cause me to sell my mini 3 pro. Mini 3 pro is my vacation drone but I don’t like the camera
2023-7-8
Use props
waynepj3gmail.com
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

No back shots of the air3 .. doesn’t look like it can be charged by usb c
2023-7-8
Use props
Killerbee
lvl.4
Netherlands

waynepj3gmail.com Posted at 7-8 15:02
No back shots of the air3 .. doesn’t look like it can be charged by usb c

Why do you think? All recent DJI drones had the option to be charged by usb c, so why would they remove this on the Air 3? Makes no sense.
2023-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules