Accidentally deleted video from aircraft album before downloading.
1134 24 2023-8-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spiicy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 449698 ft
Brazil

Hi there,

I have a DJI mini 3 pro and just finished shooting a really nice shot of a private jet landing in an ocean side airstrip surrounded by a tropical jungle. The lighting was perfect a had a beautiful sunset.

When I went to download the video using Quick Transfer Mode, I accidentally deleted the vídeo thinking it was one I had shot before to test out the angles and lighting.

Is there any way for me to recover this video, or is it
gone forever?

Thank you!
2023-8-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Don't write anything more to that card.
Get some recovery software and use that to undelete the file from the card.
2023-8-8
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

I like Recuva. Works great.
2023-8-8
Use props
Spiicy
lvl.1
Brazil

Labroides Posted at 8-8 13:29
Don't write anything more to that card.
Get some recovery software and use that to undelete the file from the card.

Ok, I’ll try! Thank you!!!
2023-8-8
Use props
Spiicy
lvl.1
Brazil

Mobilehomer Posted at 8-8 13:32
I like Recuva. Works great.

Thank you for the suggestion I’ll try that one out!
2023-8-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Please follow the suggestion of our fellow Captain above to possibly recover the deleted video file. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2023-8-8
Use props
guidexp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 384373 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

Hello! I also have DJI mini 3 pro and previously successfully used EaseUS Data Recovery to restore lost or damaged files from the SD card. However, I recently had exactly the same problem when I deleted a file myself and EaseUs was not able to recover it.  You could try it< maybe it will work in your case. Another good recovery software is called Disc Drill it will give you recovery  chance before you  need to pay for it.
2023-9-1
Use props
guidexp
lvl.1
  • >>>
Ukraine

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-8 18:05
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Please follow the suggestion of our fellow Captain above to possibly recover the deleted video file. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

Hello! I have a question: Does DJI use some special algorithm to delete|erase files from the SD card?  I unsuccessfully tried several different data recovery programs to restore a few deleted files that were not overwritten with the new data. I see the deleted files' names, dates, and file sizes, but when I restore them, they are not recognized as videos. I was able to restore the files deleted from the same SD card using a PC last year, but none of the files that deleted using the RC when the SD card was inside the drone.
2023-9-1
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 673862 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi, what have you used?
Unfortunately a lot of the free ones don’t work or have limited functionality.
2023-9-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

guidexp Posted at 9-1 03:41
Hello! I have a question: Does DJI use some special algorithm to delete|erase files from the SD card?  I unsuccessfully tried several different data recovery programs to restore a few deleted files that were not overwritten with the new data. I see the deleted files' names, dates, and file sizes, but when I restore them, they are not recognized as videos. I was able to restore the files deleted from the same SD card using a PC last year, but none of the files that deleted using the RC when the SD card was inside the drone.

Hi there. Thank you for your inquiry and we do apologize if you are having issues right now. There are possible reasons for this issue, Kindly please check the following:

1. There is an issue with the SD card formatting.
2. The file system is damaged or the file system property is RAW.
3. The card reader is incompatible.
4. It contains malicious software or a virus.
5. The disk structure of the memory card is damaged.
6. There was a power surge.
7. The SD card was removed before the camera was powered off.
8. The camera was powered off while data was being processed.

Try to recover the files using CMD:

a. Insert the SD card with a card reader into a computer.

b. Go to the Start menu and enter “cmd” in the search column. Press Enter and you can find “cmd.exe” in the program listing.

c. Click “cmd.exe” and you can see the command window below, which allows you to restore the damaged SD card without reformatting.

d. Enter chkdsk f: /f

For example: “chkdsk [space] f: [space]/f” Notes: Between two [spaces] is the drive of the damaged SD card.

Upon completion, check whether the SD card is recovered.

You may also Scan and restore the SD card

In My Computer, right-click on the damaged SD card disk. Open the Properties and Tools:
Select Debugging - Start Checking. Check A&N, then click Start.

Please note that the methods above cannot guarantee that all data can be recovered. If the data still can't be recovered, please choose a professional third party for data recovery. Thank you.
2023-9-3
Use props
guidexp
lvl.1
  • >>>
Ukraine

Mini-G Posted at 9-1 07:29
Hi, what have you used?
Unfortunately a lot of the free ones don’t work or have limited functionality.

Hi there! Thanks for the reply. I used several apps without much result. Two of them I successfully used before to restore deleted files, corrupted SD cards, etc. The 1st one is EaseUS (paid version). It found all of my deleted files, including .mp4 and .srt, and restored them, but the files are unreadable. The 2nd is DiskDrill. This one found the files, but right after the scan showed that recovery chances were poor. I performed an experiment and deleted some files on another SD card. The files that I deleted while the SD card was in my PC are restorable, but the files that I deleted while the SD card was in the DJI drone are not.
2023-9-8
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

guidexp Posted at 9-8 07:06
Hi there! Thanks for the reply. I used several apps without much result. Two of them I successfully used before to restore deleted files, corrupted SD cards, etc. The 1st one is EaseUS (paid version). It found all of my deleted files, including .mp4 and .srt, and restored them, but the files are unreadable. The 2nd is DiskDrill. This one found the files, but right after the scan showed that recovery chances were poor. I performed an experiment and deleted some files on another SD card. The files that I deleted while the SD card was in my PC are restorable, but the files that I deleted while the SD card was in the DJI drone are not.

Hi,

I use drill disk and that has helped me after doing a deep recovery.
I’ve had success even after the card has been formatted from the camera, however, the card wasn’t used afterward.

I like your thinking in asking how the DJI drones write/erase data.
2023-9-8
Use props
guidexp
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-3 19:18
Hi there. Thank you for your inquiry and we do apologize if you are having issues right now. There are possible reasons for this issue, Kindly please check the following:

1. There is an issue with the SD card formatting.

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, chkdsk didn't work for me.  I also used EaseUS software, which helped me to restore the files. However, the restored files (both mp4  and srt) are not readable. The SD card is not corrupted, and I didn't write anything after the accident. I wonder if DJI is using some special algorithm to delete files.  I am asking because only the files that I deleted using the software on my DJI remote controller are the ones that I cannot restore. Ease US app found and restored some old video files that were deleted from the same SD card long ago, but those files were deleted using my Widows PC
2023-9-10
Use props
guidexp
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Mini-G Posted at 9-8 08:09
Hi,

I use drill disk and that has helped me after doing a deep recovery.

HI. The special algorithm is the only theory I have so far because I have never before used the built-in DJI software to delete files and was able to restore many files deleted under Windows.
2023-9-10
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

guidexp Posted at 9-10 08:28
HI. The special algorithm is the only theory I have so far because I have never before used the built-in DJI software to delete files and was able to restore many files deleted under Windows.

I was thinking that the Dones probably use the SD card as "swap memory".
Just link on a Mac, where your SDD gets used in place of RAM.
2023-9-10
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

guidexp Posted at 9-1 03:41

I've had same issue. No recover software works with dji lol.
2023-9-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

guidexp Posted at 9-10 08:25
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, chkdsk didn't work for me.  I also used EaseUS software, which helped me to restore the files. However, the restored files (both mp4  and srt) are not readable. The SD card is not corrupted, and I didn't write anything after the accident. I wonder if DJI is using some special algorithm to delete files.  I am asking because only the files that I deleted using the software on my DJI remote controller are the ones that I cannot restore. Ease US app found and restored some old video files that were deleted from the same SD card long ago, but those files were deleted using my Widows PC

How do you normally delete the files on the card then?

I never used the DJI app to format the cards, I always use cut and paste and if i forget and use copy and paste, then i use Windows to delete the files.
2023-9-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am replying again cause i thought i would give this a go using Easus file recovery, i ain't got a clue what you lot are doing with the program but i recovered 2 files, 1 at 2.6gb and 1 at 3.5gb and both play just fine.
2023-9-11
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14068337 ft
Sweden

I do not know how DJI erases information on the SD card or format it, but to my knowledge, computers normally only take away the address to the data and the date is still there. When you then write on it again it sees that all the addresses are free. It is then the data can be over written. That is why when you have SD card you should take it out and do not write anything on it until you have checked the card with retrieval program. Unless you do a full erase or format, then all data is gone.
2023-9-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 9-11 23:42
I do not know how DJI erases information on the SD card or format it, but to my knowledge, computers normally only take away the address to the data and the date is still there. When you then write on it again it sees that all the addresses are free. It is then the data can be over written. That is why when you have SD card you should take it out and do not write anything on it until you have checked the card with retrieval program. Unless you do a full erase or format, then all data is gone.

You can bring it back from a format and also not all data is lost when rewritten to, it just depends on what sectors have been written too
2023-9-12
Use props
Spiicy
lvl.1
Brazil

I have the file but I could't play it. It's been corrupted. im not sure if there is any way to fix it, but I have tried using 2 different software to fix it. both were payed.
2023-9-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Bashy Posted at 9-12 03:19
You can bring it back from a format and also not all data is lost when rewritten to, it just depends on what sectors have been written too

Hi Bashy,

I thought that a full format erases any files from the disk, but changes (or maintains) the file system and checks the disk for bad sectors. A full format usually takes much longer time than a quick format. This compared to a quick format that only clears the addresses. Or have I got this wrong?
2023-9-12
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 9-12 05:38
Hi Bashy,

I thought that a full format erases any files from the disk, but changes (or maintains) the file system and checks the disk for bad sectors. A full format usually takes much longer time than a quick format. This compared to a quick format that only clears the addresses. Or have I got this wrong?

No, i think that might be a low level format, a normal format only erases the address table of which it does make it more difficult to recover the files than a "deletion" but certainly far from impossible, i have some software here that can recover from a format, deleted partitions and normal deletes

Actually, having just checked, even my EaseUS Data Recovery can do...

Restore deleted files from Recycle Bin, HDD, SSD, USB, SD card, etc.
Recover deleted documents, pictures, videos, emails, and other files for free.
Retrieve lost data due to formatting, deleting, OS crash, virus infection, etc.
Repair corrupted photos, videos, and documents with file repair features. (New feature) (Pro paid for)

So anyone saying they cant recover files using EaseUS (paid for) or you can and for whatever reason they are corrupted then you may need the pro.

But i would also look at software for repairing corrupted video files, i am sure i used something not too long back, found it, try "Stellar Repair for Video", the trial will let you recover 20% of the file, so if it works then buy it, or there is one i think thats just called MP4 repair and i think its free, also VLC repairs them too, check out google for the tut on the latter...
2023-9-12
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Hi,
Yes, I went in and checked the program EaseUS data recovery and it certainly look pretty good. I will make a note of this, as well as of the Stellar Repairs for videos. Thanks for this info. So there is really no reason not to be able to fix things.
2023-9-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 9-13 01:34
Hi,
Yes, I went in and checked the program EaseUS data recovery and it certainly look pretty good. I will make a note of this, as well as of the Stellar Repairs for videos. Thanks for this info. So there is really no reason not to be able to fix things.

No, not really, I have used various over the years, i had a bad habit of accidentally wiping whole drives, that was when i used to mess about building my own PC's and choosing the wrong drive etc, always managed to get it back though, that was a lot of music back then lol
2023-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules