DJI should discount the Action 4 & destroy the GoPro Hero 12
4820 38 2023-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just an idea for DJI to destroy the release of the Hero 12 and gain more of the action camera market at GoPro's expense.
Given that by now most people will know the main differences between the Hero 11 and Hero 12, which are basically a stabiliser update and extended record time. It won't take too much working out for most people to realise that the Hero 12 is basically a Hero 11 with a firmware/software update, as the processor and sensor are the same for both cameras.

Once it sinks in to most Hero users, or potential Hero users, that GoPro are about to make their most cynical and lacklustre year on year update so far to the Hero series. This could leave the door wide open for DJI to take full advantage of GoPro's contemptuous treatment of Hero users and DJI could pick up some converts by way of the Action 4.

Adding to the list of the many disalusioned, disappointed and angry Hero users that there's going to be on the Hero 12 release day.. There will also be many people who've been sitting on the fence thinking about buying the Action 4 but have been waiting to see what improvements GoPro have made to the Hero with the 12, before committing to their next action camera.

A strategic discount or re-pricing structure by DJI for the Action 4, could see them gain many new action camera customers.

This is of course a fantasy scenario but it doesn't stop one from dreaming

2023-9-2
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Dave.

I agree, DJI could steam ahead; especially with a pricing tweak, but they have the Action 3 only a year behind and they’re still selling them cheaper. So by lowering the 4, they might kill off sales of the 3 and be left with old stock!

Just like GoPro ….. all marketing stuff really. I hope that DJI don’t get into the GoPro sales model of a new camera yearly. It encourages them to play around for some kind of new innovation that can cause the camera to become unstable, when what most people probably want is just a reliable camera that consistently takes good pictures!

DJI are dead close to really dominating, and GoPro may have made an expensive mistake……..
2023-9-2
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DJI doesn't need to lower the price to compete with gopro 12.
Gopro fanboys/girls won't switch over just because it is a better and cheaper camera.
Difficult to convince people of a brand that is better than what they themselves love, and often they refuse to realize it. Same as ios vs android.
2023-9-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would switch quite happily to a camera that I prefer I think…..

A price cut would be even more incentive! Especially at this time with the feelings that people have about the new emerging GoPro. (Unless there's something hidden under the bonnet)

There's a real opportunity for DJI to become the market leader I think with this camera.

2023-9-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It’s funny we all used go pro’s on our first commercial drones from dji, and for some reason DJI dropped go pro and moved ahead with their own brand of drone cameras buying out hassleblad developing some great combo gimbal handheld cameras and market leaders in gimbals in general go pro were suddenly out of the drone camera market. They decided to release their own drone which was an overnight failure, they then became a one product make or break company and if they don’t watch what they are doing they might end up with no product of any consequence.
Incidentally they dropped the price of the 11 to pull more into line with A3, so I expect DJI might run a discount on the A4 at the same time as 12 release.
2023-9-3
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Maybe the Sales market team here can look in to that. Feel free to spread the work/word etc. good luck
2023-9-3
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 9-3 00:00
Gopro fanboys/girls won't switch over just because it is a better and cheaper camera.
Difficult to convince people of a brand that is better than what they themselves love, and often they refuse to realize it. Same as ios vs android.

The vast majority of actioncam users are not fanboys or fangirls of any particular brand and the vast majority of buyers’ purchasing decisions are based on cost. Of course DJI would take more sales away from GoPro if they dropped the price of the Action 4.
2023-9-3
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

As Options add up to increase the price, DJI deffently gave us Options, so that makes this by far in the leader of an Action camera being todays Price, right on the markets wish list for many, when the holidays come about
2023-9-3
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 9-2 23:22
Hi Dave.

I agree, DJI could steam ahead; especially with a pricing tweak, but they have the Action 3 only a year behind and they’re still selling them cheaper. So by lowering the 4, they might kill off sales of the 3 and be left with old stock!

Alright, my YouTube bezzie

Yes, DJI could really f..k up GoPro if they did this. I’m fully aware that DJI can also be a bunch of clowns as well. However, on balance I think GoPro are worse for delivering garbage updates and how they treat the end user.

And talking about delivering garbage, or to be fair, a good camera on paper. I don’t know why DJI are still manufacturing the Action 3, which was a great camera on paper but defo wasn’t received well. Yes, they may have corrected issues that had people losing their minds but once confidence is lost in a product, you may as well be pushing water up a hill.

By all accounts and from what I’ve seen of your excellent videos, the Action 4 is clearly what the Action 3 should have been in the first place and is on balance an overall better camera than the Hero 11, at least for vlogging and tradition video usage.

Like GoPro, DJI can be their own worse enemy. If they had simply stopped manufacturing the Action 3 after the release of the 4. Then they would have had a simple product stack, with just the one camera in the Action series. Which would have been given them more flexibility for pricing.

As it happens, they’ve kept a camera, the 3, in the range that had already lost confidence with the general public, regardless of if it has been fixed or not. Which makes it more difficult to be flexible with the pricing of the 4. Sounds a bit like the mess GoPro get themselves into at times.

Anyway and bottom line. The Hero 12 is going to be a terrible release and one where DJI could have spanked GoPro with a price cut on their Action 4. And if I don’t move to a phone for vlogging when the iPhone 15 is released, I’ll be selling at least my Hero 8 and Hero 9, possibly my Hero 11 as well and I’ll buy the Action 4 for my vlogging.

Now I’m off to watch some guy going shopping in Swanage with an Action

Hope you’re well, Ian.

Take care buddy,
Dave.

2023-9-3
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 9-3 00:00

Same as IOS vs android.

I couldn't have said it any better.  Once a fan boy, always a fan boy.  
2023-9-3
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-3 06:10
Same as IOS vs android.

I couldn't have said it any better.  Once a fan boy, always a fan boy.

Once a fanboy, always a dumb, blinkered, idiot and someone who is incapable of reasonable rationalisation and balanced conversation  
2023-9-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 9-3 06:03
Alright, my YouTube bezzie

Yes, DJI could really f..k up GoPro if they did this. I’m fully aware that DJI can also be a bunch of clowns as well. However, on balance I think GoPro are worse for delivering garbage updates and how they treat the end user.

Yeah, I know ….. shopping! Quite funny really.

Honestly Dave, I’ve thrown this one around in all kinds of lighting and situations while down there, and it really coped well with exposure and white balance. All those daft vlogs are in auto except the beach at night.

Interesting that now DJI sell a 'vloggers' kit so they must see it as a camera for vloggers as well which isn't what was bandied around in this forum.

I’m quite chuffed with it so I’m going to keep it.

2023-9-3
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

if they sell it as a vloggers kit what are you getting at $729..00 where you  buy it separatly at $399 + $329  a selfie stick
2023-9-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 9-3 09:30
if they sell it as a vloggers kit what are you getting at $729..00 where you  buy it separatly at $399 + $329  a selfie stick

Dji wireless mics? Price isn't great though.
2023-9-3
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 9-3 10:24
Dji wireless mics? Price isn't great though.

thank you   the best mic people say, correct?
2023-9-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 9-3 10:54
thank you   the best mic people say, correct?

It is certainly a good mic. Nice sounding although a little noisy. But to be honest, it’s not a problem for vlogging environments. I love the charging case and with a combo of two mics, you can mic up two people or get double time from a single charge by just swapping over.

The receiver goes for longer than the mics so battery life with this combo is one of the best really.

For my vlogs, I used a Rode Lavalier straight into camera except for one of the golfing videos where I used internal mics.

DJI could easily become the leaders in the action camera market now. Especially seeing how 'underwhelming' the new GoPro looks. GoPro may well have shot themselves in the foot.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the sponsored reviewers do with this release ........

2023-9-3
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 9-3 10:57
It is certainly a good mic. Nice sounding although a little noisy. But to be honest, it’s not a problem for vlogging environments. I love the charging case and with a combo of two mics, you can mic up two people or get double time from a single charge by just swapping over.

The receiver goes for longer than the mics so battery life with this combo is one of the best really.

I use a Fulaim X5    what a great price and wireless mic  I will wait and see   when they get one out from a real person comparing it to DJI Lol
2023-9-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Thank you for your recommendations. Please rest assured that we will register the information and provide feedback to the related departments for evaluation. In the future, we will optimize and improve the product or service based on user comments. Thank you for your support and understanding.
2023-9-3
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Hero 12 is out. 9-06 edge to edge glass LOL its a 11 in diguise or so they say
2023-9-4
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Funny that so many downvoted my answer as soon as I did mention ios vs android
But it is a fact, gopro fanboys won't switch brand, and it is the same with phones running ios or android.
Maybe the conclusion is that fanboys get easiest hurt in their soul? hehe
2023-9-5
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

johansenfoto Posted at 9-5 06:29
But it is a fact, gopro fanboys won't switch brand, and it is the same with phones running ios or android.

Many GP users are also DJI fanboys so jumping ship for the right product is easy for them.
2023-9-5
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 9-5 06:29

Maybe it's because most people aren't fanboys/fangirls (Fanpeople) and maybe it was the Fanpeople comment that p1ssed off some people. Probably the FanPeople who took it the wrong way

We all have to remember that this and any other forum for any particular product, including GoPro. Is a focused microcosm of users for whatever that forum is about. And that the vast majority of users of any product do not participate on forums or voice themselves on forums. Plus, forums are where you are more likely to find the idiot FanPeople.

Basically, forums aren't a true representation of all the people that use a particular product. Take this forum as an example, the people here and who post are likely avid users and enthusiasts. And that definitely does not represent your average user. Your average user is less likely to get as bent out of shape about an issue as a forum user would.

Forums are essentially echo chambers.

This also goes for your iOS and Android analogy. Phones and tablets are just tools, just like action cameras. Again, the vast majority of users out there are usually buying for different reasons compared to avid users and enthusiasts. I'd say that most purchasing decisions are based on cost for most people and then maybe functionality and ecosystems.  Of course you still get the FanPeople with iOS and Android but these will be insignificant compared to your general users.

Maybe someone should do a poll asking how many DJI camera users also have a GoPro camera. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a large number of DJI users who also have GoPro stuff and vice versa.

Me personally. I have three DJI cameras and three GoPro cameras. Plus, I have four Android devices and six iPadOS/iOS/AppleTV devices. I don't give a flying f... what the device is, as long as it does something that I need.

Most reasonable people are agnostic when it comes to tech and just choose what's right for them for whatever reason.

FanPeople on the other. Blinkered idiots who you can't reason with.

Anyway, back to my edit of a video that I shot on a DJI Action camera where I'm slagging off GoPro
2023-9-5
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Hallmark007 Posted at 9-5 07:57
Many GP users are also DJI fanboys so jumping ship for the right product is easy for them.

True and will think so, but there are so many gopro fanpeople always commenting about new cameras coming and how much they look forward to it
2023-9-5
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

David_Harry Posted at 9-5 08:18
Maybe it's because most people aren't fanboys/fangirls (Fanpeople) and maybe it was the Fanpeople comment that p1ssed off some people. Probably the FanPeople who took it the wrong way

We all have to remember that this and any other forum for any particular product, including GoPro. Is a focused microcosm of users for whatever that forum is about. And that the vast majority of users of any product do not participate on forums or voice themselves on forums. Plus, forums are where you are more likely to find the idiot FanPeople.

Hehe you had a really deep explantation, but you are probably right about it.
I'm not a DJI fanboy but I tend to lean more to DJI with their drones and action cameras than I do with other brands. I had 2 gopro's before and will probably try one out again in 2 years like gopro 14 or so.
But I'll never sell my OA-cameras.
2023-9-5
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 9-5 08:18

We all have to remember that this and any other forum for any particular product, including GoPro. Is a focused microcosm of users for whatever that forum is about. And that the vast majority of users of any product do not participate on forums or voice themselves on forums. Plus, forums are where you are more likely to find the idiot FanPeople.

I don’t have an allegiance to any camera. 2 GoPros and 6 DJI’s. The camera I choose to use is based on what the picture is doing. (And sound)

I have a favourite, but not a ‘fanboy’ type of person. I do like the Action 4 though as a camera! I guess that might be 'interpreted' as fanboy but if something really good was better, then I would move.....

GoPro 14? After the release of the 12 ....... if they're still around!!!
2023-9-5
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 9-5 12:03
Hehe you had a really deep explantation, but you are probably right about it.
I'm not a DJI fanboy but I tend to lean more to DJI with their drones and action cameras than I do with other brands. I had 2 gopro's before and will probably try one out again in 2 years like gopro 14 or so.
But I'll never sell my OA-cameras.

I’ve traditionally leaned toward GoPro, maybe because I was using their stuff since the Hero 3 and because it was the first truly portable vlogging camera, for my use. Plus, there was never really any competition back then, so no real choices. Sometimes, you just get used to what you used first.

During the early years of DAWs and NLEs, Pro Tools was the defacto DAW (although not in the same sense as today's DAWs at it didn't have MIDI) and Avid the defacto NLE. That didn't necessarily make them the best, they simply became defacto as they were both one of the first products in their respective fields.

Saying that, DJI cameras have been way more reliable in my experience and I much prefer the robustness of the tradition Action build, 1, 3, 4. Although, the Action 2 has to be the most fun ever for an action camera and shooting with the camera module on its own is just the height of convenience. I’m coming at this from the angle of someone who vlogs.

Saying that, I’ve actually been using DJI products since the Hero 3. I used to have a production company and we had a Phantom for one of the GoPro setups. I think this may have been one of the first DJI quads.

2023-9-6
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

David_Harry Posted at 9-6 05:35
I’ve traditionally leaned toward GoPro, maybe because I was using their stuff since the Hero 3 and because it was the first truly portable vlogging camera, for my use. Plus, there was never really any competition back then, so no real choices. Sometimes, you just get used to what you used first.

During the early years of DAWs and NLEs, Pro Tools was the defacto DAW (although not in the same sense as today's DAWs at it didn't have MIDI) and Avid the defacto NLE. That didn't necessarily make them the best, they simply became defacto as they were both one of the first products in their respective fields.

You can still use action 1 on phantom 1 ..
2023-9-6
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 9-6 07:17
You can still use action 1 on phantom 1 ..[view_image]

AWESOME

BTW, I've just ordered the Hero 12, because I'm obviously someone who never learns a lesson
2023-9-6
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 9-6 15:12
AWESOME

BTW, I've just ordered the Hero 12, because I'm obviously someone who never learns a lesson

I thought you might. Mind you, you were on the borderline for the Action and I 'nearly' got you to buckle!  ;)

I seriously look forward to how you find this one, Dave.....
2023-9-6
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Wonder why it doesn't show up on my profile here that I have bought OA4?
2023-9-6
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 9-6 23:03
I thought you might. Mind you, you were on the borderline for the Action and I 'nearly' got you to buckle!  ;)

I seriously look forward to how you find this one, Dave.....

Come on, Ian. You know I’m a few sandwiches short of a picnic, of course I was going to make the wrong choice

Nah, seriously though. I had cancelled my GoPro subscription recently as I had no intention of renewing it just to get a discount on a camera that I’d probably learn to regret buying. However, with only a few days left on my current subscription, I was able to still get the £100 discount. So I thought that if don’t like it after a couple of months, I could still get an OK price second hand and the loss would probably be worth it for a bunch of videos that I’ll enjoy doing.

Plus, you know me, I love to have a good moan about GoPro, and I’m sure we are both confident that there’ll be enough things to moan about with the 12.

This is why I don’t like buying DJI cameras, they give you hardly anything to moan about, unless you’re  an Action 3 owner
Cheers, buddy.
Dave.
2023-9-6
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Haha!!! Yes, I know how you feel about them for sure. That’s why I’m REALLY looking forward to what you find. That will give you some content. I loved the video you put out this morning where you talked about the 2018 version. The duck was genius!  I remember the 2018 well. What a mess that was and you actually got your hands on the hack!!!

I’m thinking if anyone can get an 11 hack, you will……..

I’ll Facetime you when you get it for the ‘pre rant’ …..
2023-9-7
Use props
fans9bd16f79
lvl.3
Flight distance : 243865 ft

France

the4re are a bit more news/diffs from the osmo 4 from a user point of view:
-bluetooth audio
-extended record time on high res
-1/4 inch thread in the body.

I think they should discount a bit, add a 1/4inch mount in the packet, and add BT audio through a firmware update too (there is BT 5 in the osmo4, so audio is not far). I understand it could be tricky if not planned (is it?) but for audio processing is not that big and there always a cortem M that is not busy on the soc... Could be a killer.
2023-9-7
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Adding Bluetooth would take battery life down a bit though. Something has been tweaked for the extended record time. I’m curious how they saved the power to lower the heat.

Given what looks like a slightly lack lustre release, DJI have a real opportunity to become the action cam leader in the market with the 4.
2023-9-7
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Let’s not forget though DJIs customer service is not always A+ either. Probably not on the scale of GoPros CS stinky support mind. Competitors should strive on innovation with both hardware and software. It’s the only way consumers benefit. GoPro are a one trick pony so their entire business model is volatile. A poor product launch could render them out of business in no time.
2023-9-18
Use props
Ride With Sagar
New

Nepal

Action 4 is ... camera with ton of Microphone issues
2023-10-9
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

GoPro is ….. camera with a ton of locking and freezing issues. ;)
So what do you suggest?
2023-10-11
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

I will not say OA4 have a lot of mic issues
2023-10-11
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the OA4 is a decent camera in general. I also think GP is a decent camera in general. Although I've never owned a GP, I've just heard so quite a few of my GP owning friends complain so much about them that I decided when I got into action cameras, to go with DJI just based off my friends complaints. So far I haven't been disappointed. But as far as that goes, I'm sure I'd be just as happy with a GP either way. Long as I can get done what I want to do, I'm fine.
Johansenfoto, I do perfer iPhone over android, but push come to shove, it really doesn't matter to me to be honest. Not really a fan boy of either myself.
2023-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules