816 9 2023-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

Today my Pocket took a tumble.

On picking it up it had gone into "Gimble protected" mode, but a tap on the screen brought it back to life.

After switching off, however, it now tries its self test (wiggling its head) and immediately goes into Gimble Protect again.

I can't get it to power up properly, so it looks like it's dead
2023-9-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dang, sorry to hear the sad news.  Maybe the Pocket 3 will come out soon and you can upgrade from the original Pocket to the 3.  
2023-9-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is a sign the Pocket 3 is close.  
2023-9-19
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, No Original Thought. We're sorry to read about this. Please try the steps below:
1. Click the camera view screen. Then, the gimbal will automatically return to its normal working state.
2. Power off the gimbal and check whether there is a foreign object (such as sand or a stone) between the axis arms. If there is, clean them and restart the gimbal.
3. If the issue persists after the above solutions have been tried, please return their device for testing.  You may submit an online repair request through this link:{https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-9-20
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I think I've managed to repair it.... fingers crossed...

The Gimble head was catching on the lower part of the gimble pretty significantly.

However, gently forcing the gimbal head around past the snag point very carefully got the head into a vertical position so that the 'side hinge' and the rotating base are aligned.

In this position I was able to slot around 4 or 5 store loyalty cards in between the two. I didn't use credit cards because of the raised numbers on them.

Shoving the cards in actually dislodged a sticker on the top of the rotating base plate that I'd never noticed before.

Once it felt like no more card would squeeze in, I forced another one in!

After removing the cards the gimbal head was then able to rotate from vertical through horizontal to the other vertical freely again.

Hitting the power button and the pocket now powers up and completes its self tests without problems.

The drop obviously moved the gimbal head to the point that it couldn't rotate properly.
2023-9-25
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

No Original Thought Posted at 9-25 04:54
I think I've managed to repair it.... fingers crossed...

The Gimble head was catching on the lower part of the gimble pretty significantly.

Glad to hear you got it working. But better to keep an eye on it in case more problems occur, and to be careful with it in the future!
2023-9-25
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 9-25 10:53
Glad to hear you got it working. But better to keep an eye on it in case more problems occur, and to be careful with it in the future!

Not so much carelessness as equipment failure.

The pocket was on the extension rod, and the extension rod was attached to a ball joint clamp. Unfortunately the threaded bolt that sticks out of the ball came detached from the ball - mechanical failure, the ball cracked! - and the whole.lot fell about a metre or so to the ground.
2023-9-26
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

No Original Thought Posted at 9-26 01:30
Not so much carelessness as equipment failure.

The pocket was on the extension rod, and the extension rod was attached to a ball joint clamp. Unfortunately the threaded bolt that sticks out of the ball came detached from the ball - mechanical failure, the ball cracked! - and the whole.lot fell about a metre or so to the ground.

I didn't intend to claim you were not careful with it before, I meant that you may need to pay more attention to it in the sense that it might show new symptoms that haven't occurred before. I'm sorry if my comment was offending you. And these mechanical failures do happen to even the most careful of us. For instance, my Pocket 2 took a nosedive on to the concrete from my bicycle handle bars, as I drove into a pothole and the resulting bump caused the Pocket 2 to jump off the tripod thread adapter I used to mount the Pocket 2 onto the handlebars.
2023-9-28
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 9-28 09:19
I didn't intend to claim you were not careful with it before, I meant that you may need to pay more attention to it in the sense that it might show new symptoms that haven't occurred before. I'm sorry if my comment was offending you.  And these mechanical failures do happen to even the most careful of us. For instance, my Pocket 2 took a nosedive on to the concrete from my bicycle handle bars, as I drove into a pothole and the resulting bump caused the Pocket 2 to jump off the tripod thread adapter I used to mount the Pocket 2 onto the handlebars.

No offense taken. I just wanted to clarify that it was mechanical failure rather than carelessness.

That said, trusting my Pocket to a cheap, plastic ball joint was probably a bit careless in hindsight. I'm shopping around for an all metal version at the moment for future use.
2023-9-28
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

No Original Thought Posted at 9-28 13:55
No offense taken. I just wanted to clarify that it was mechanical failure rather than carelessness.

That said, trusting my Pocket to a cheap, plastic ball joint was probably a bit careless in hindsight. I'm shopping around for an all metal version at the moment for future use.

Glad to hear you didn't take it personally.

We all do occasional mistakes regarding these situations. And, on the other hand, even the best equipment may fail at one point or another, no matter how careful we are.

Hoping that metallic version will serve you better.
2023-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules