P3 Pro + Head tracking?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

Has anyone got head tracking to work with the Phantom 3 Pro?

I have a set of Dominator V2 goggles that work fine using HDMI via a tablet, to watch the camera etc whilst flying the P3 Pro.

However I want to also get head tracking to work with the P3 Pro camera.

Has anyone done this?? Got any tips or instructions?

I also have a set of Attitude goggles that came pre built with the trinity head tracker & camera etc. However I dont have a gimbal for those goggles.

I also have no idea how to dismount the P3 Pro gimbal if needed, in case I have to use a different gimbal setup.

I hope I dont have to use a different gimbal/camera as that was one of the main reasons in spending the extra cash on buying a Phantom pro 3 in the first place.
2015-9-3
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

anyone tried this or have any experience or ideas? Surly 'someone' must have tried or wanted to fit head tracking to a P3?
2015-9-3
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have never tried this, but have seen other posts that state head tracking is not a feature of the phantom 3...most likely because the gimbal does not support left/right movements.
2015-9-3
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Inspire 1 for that one, bro man. I saw something that tracks head for the Inspire.
2015-9-3
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

Huh?
Is that a typo?
2015-9-4
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

No it's not a typo, he tell's you simply that the feature you want is not available on the P3, it's never been there and anyone who done a tiny bit of research knows this. The feature you want is available on the Inspire 1.

2015-9-4
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

Sadly it look slike the only way to get head tracking working on the P3 is to tear off the gimbal and camera and replace it with another one.

Even just installing the retractable legs doesnt fix the fact that DJI software diabled the camera from panning.

Very dissapointed.

No I'm not paying $4,000 on an Inspire just so I can pan a camera.......
2015-9-12
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-9-4 19:04
No it's not a typo, he tell's you simply that the feature you want is not available on the P3, it's  ...

No need for the tiny bit of reasearch comment.

It actually took me to post to this forum to find out it couldn't be done so your comment about doing a tiny bit of research was not just unnecessary but incorrect.

But anyway.... Have an Immersion Vortex arriving in the mail this week... more fun to come yet.
2015-9-12
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

The spec's is visible on DJI's website for all to see, so no you don't need to visit the forum to get obvious facts.

2015-9-13
Use props
nicholas.goss
lvl.1

Australia

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-9-13 23:20
The spec's is visible on DJI's website for all to see, so no you don't need to visit the forum to ge ...

It obviously want obvious if I had to come to the forum.
2015-9-13
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

nicholas.goss Posted at 2015-9-14 05:59
It obviously want obvious if I had to come to the forum.

Seriously i don't know how old you are, but apparently you can read, and anyone who can read the spec's should grasp this simple fact. The feature you want in AIO solution such as the DJI products are only available  in the Inspire 1.  

2015-9-13
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

paullindqvist Posted at 2015-9-14 13:58
Seriously i don't know how old you are, but apparently you can read, and anyone who can read the s ...

in the specs of the phantom is absolutely no mention of the feature he is looking for, he must have just assumed. now that he knows that feature is not available on a $1300 item he will make do. as far as panning camera, he will learn to do that with the yaw! its ok paul, go easy, LOL
2015-9-13
Use props
EzyFly
New

Fiji

I have figured a workaround to be able to use headtracking with the Fatshark goggles & DJI Phantom 3 Pro. You wont have to change the P3 camera or use a compatible controller. Keep in mind that this is just what it is a "workaround" that is work in progress until a technical break through on this happens. Here's the link if you are interested:

2016-11-3
Use props
Antonov
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, with Litchi app. on FPV Mode however only up and down. Not as smooth as the RC controller but it works fine. It is quite a fast reaction, so not a smooth video as a result. But if you fly with it and switch off during record then it is fine.
2016-11-3
Use props
EzyFly
New

New Zealand

Antonov Posted at 2016-11-4 07:02
Yes, with Litchi app. on FPV Mode however only up and down. Not as smooth as the RC controller but i ...

I agree that head tracking through the controller would be best. I will still be doing some tweaks here & there which will include slowing the camera movement by adjusting the gimbal tilt in DJI GO app - I currently have it set on 100 the highest setting, unfortunately I cant do the setting in Litchi so I have to switch between apps till I get the setting I am happy with.

The headtracking is not only limited to up/down movement - you can also have Yaw headtracking as an included option. The only thing is that the whole drone turns in order to pan the camera; I am not too interested in using that option as I would prefer to let my thumbs do the steering.
One day I may invest in a compatible controller - until then Im pretty happy with this
2016-11-3
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Antonov Posted at 2016-11-3 14:02
Yes, with Litchi app. on FPV Mode however only up and down. Not as smooth as the RC controller but i ...

You can easiuly modify the tilt rate in the litchi app.  have a look in the gimbal settings,  also the fpv settings.  
2016-11-4
Use props
dabassham
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176936 ft

Actually you can do head tracking with Litchi in "rotate aircraft mode".  Not only can you tilt up and down, but you can also head track rotate the bird.  It's an advanced VR feature.  You must be in F mode on the P3, or P mode on the P4.  
Below is a snippet from the Litchi website and the URL:  (bottom of the page)
Aircraft head tracking https://flylitchi.com/help#vr-p3

Aircraft Head Tracking
This advanced VR feature requires the RC's flight mode switch to be in F mode (or P for the Phantom 4) and the aircraft to be in the air.

In Immersive
mode, rotating your head left/right causes the aircraft to rotate left/right mirroring the angle you are looking at relative to the reference which is established when VR mode is started.

In Joystick mode, rotating your head left/right is similar to using the left joystick's left/right axis (mode 2). As an example, the more you rotate your head to the left, the faster the aircraft will rotate to the left. The zero point, at which the aircraft will not rotate, is set when VR mode starts using the current mobile device orientation at that time.

2016-11-4
Use props
dabassham
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176936 ft

EzyFly Posted at 2016-11-4 08:30
I agree that head tracking through the controller would be best. I will still be doing some tweaks ...

I think it might depend on what mode you are in?  Immersive mode lets you control direction with sticks while looking around, joystick mode uses head tracking in place of sticks.  At least that is what I surmized from reading the discription.  I will go out and test it this weekend and let you know.
2016-11-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules