Where are the sharpness and noise reduction settings?
2636 15 2023-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just picked up the Mini 4 Pro. The (photo) image is much noisier and has a lot of compression by comparison to the Mini 3 Pro.

I was expecting to find the settings, as the Mini 3 Pro does, to control how much noise reduction and sharpness is applied to photos, but this setting doesn't exist.

I have a unique use case for the mini series, which means I need to take very close up shots of barcodes from <1M and the Mini 3 Pro is hands down a better (48MP) image.

Am I missing something here, I thought this was supposed to be an improvement or has DJI used the office 'features dartboard' again, leaving out these settings on this drone for no reason.
2023-10-2
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152329 ft
United Kingdom

It looks like you can only adjust sharpness and noise for M4P video. It’s on the camera page of DJI Fly app under the ‘Style’ heading.

I’m really surprised you think 48MP is better on M3P.  I think it’s better in the M4P and I’ve taken hundreds of pictures over the last few days to confirm. There is so much noise in 48MP photos on the M3P that I stopped using 48MP and reverted to 12MP only
2023-10-2
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steph Jant Posted at 10-2 04:44
It looks like you can only adjust sharpness and noise for M4P video. It’s on the camera page of DJI Fly app under the ‘Style’ heading.

I’m really surprised you think 48MP is better on M3P.  I think it’s better in the M4P and I’ve taken hundreds of pictures over the last few days to confirm. There is so much noise in 48MP photos on the M3P that I stopped using 48MP and reverted to 12MP only

I have a very unusual use case, which involves the taking of thousands of close up images of barcodes. When I first put the Mini 3 Pro to use on this job, I tested the 12 and 48MP camera from every distance from the minimum focal distance (20cm), out to when the barcodes were illegible (roughly 80cm).

My findings were clear that the 48MP image was superior in achieving this task. 12MP just didn't come out as good, and this was all tested on the bench.

Since picking up the Mini 4 Pro, the images are much noisier in the same scenario. What I've also discovered is that the Mini 3 Pro will autofocus down to 20cm, but the Mini 4 Pro will not. The Mini 4 Pro is capable of focusing at 20cm, but it needs manually adjusting to force it to focus at such a short distance.

The issue I'm faced with is such an uncommon issue for a drone (how many people will realistically ever need to take a drone photo when the subject is 20-80cm away?!) that it's probably never going to get addressed to alter the minimum focal distance the autofocus can do. However, the noise reduction and sharpening settings are wildly stronger on the newer drone and the settings need bringing to this drone.
2023-10-2
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. We do apologize for the trouble. Kindly please go to Camera View > General Settings (3dots)> Camera>Style to check for the Sharpness and noise reduction settings. If the said settings is not present on your end, please take a screenshot and send it to us so we can review. Thank you for your cooperation.
2023-10-2
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-2 20:51
Hi there. We do apologize for the trouble. Kindly please go to Camera View > General Settings (3dots)> Camera>Style to check for the Sharpness and noise reduction settings. If the said settings is not present on your end, please take a screenshot and send it to us so we can review. Thank you for your cooperation.

The style tab doesn't exist under the photo menu in the Fly app. It does exist in the video section though.

I tried to take a screenshot, but I have no idea how to get to this image. I trust you'll believe me that thiese settings are missing from the photo section.
2023-10-3
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

CloudVisual Posted at 10-3 03:42
The style tab doesn't exist under the photo menu in the Fly app. It does exist in the video section though.

I tried to take a screenshot, but I have no idea how to get to this image. I trust you'll believe me that thiese settings are missing from the photo section.

Hello, CloudVisual. We have confirmed this to our relevant team and it seems that this option is only available using video mode. We will gather this feedback and forward it as a suggestion. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-10-5
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-5 02:29
Hello, CloudVisual. We have confirmed this to our relevant team and it seems that this option is only available using video mode. We will gather this feedback and forward it as a suggestion. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for investigating this and giving this information.

The Mini 4 Pro MUST have these settings for the Photos so that users have control of the sharpness and NR of the camera. I am seeing oversharpening and too much noise reduction, which I would like to be able to control, as I am able to do with the Mini 3 Pro.
2023-10-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

CloudVisual Posted at 10-5 06:36
Thank you for investigating this and giving this information.

The Mini 4 Pro MUST have these settings for the Photos so that users have control of the sharpness and NR of the camera. I am seeing oversharpening and too much noise reduction, which I would like to be able to control, as I am able to do with the Mini 3 Pro.

You are most welcome, CloudVisual. We will surely gather this feedback of yours and will take it as a suggestion and will forward it to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-10-6
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with CloudVisual. I have the M2P and P4P -- but I purchased this drone to reduce my actual load-out workload for a segment of my contracted projects.  Naturally it's not going to be perfect for every application, but it seems to be missing just a few features to round it out as a great companion to our small fleet.
2023-11-22
Use props
smbishop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1859232 ft
  • >>>
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 10-2 04:56
I have a very unusual use case, which involves the taking of thousands of close up images of barcodes. When I first put the Mini 3 Pro to use on this job, I tested the 12 and 48MP camera from every distance from the minimum focal distance (20cm), out to when the barcodes were illegible (roughly 80cm).

My findings were clear that the 48MP image was superior in achieving this task. 12MP just didn't come out as good, and this was all tested on the bench.

I am just trying to understand why you are using a drone to capture thousands of images of bar codes?
2023-11-22
Use props
djiuser_lhCHJs0bqsZ7
New

United Kingdom

CloudVisual Posted at 10-3 03:42

Sorry to jump in but I also have the same problem, I have no control over sharpness, I have it on my M3P so how don't I have it on my newer M4P, not a happy customer.
2023-11-25
Use props
djiuser_lhCHJs0bqsZ7
New

United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-6 06:37
You are most welcome, CloudVisual. We will surely gather this feedback of yours and will take it as a suggestion and will forward it to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Have you had any feedback from technicians on the sharpness settings, my photos when viewed are soft-noisey, where my M3P are great straight out of camera because I can adjust to my liking.
2023-11-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_lhCHJs0bqsZ7 Posted at 11-25 10:36
Have you had any feedback from technicians on the sharpness settings, my photos when viewed are soft-noisey, where my M3P are great straight out of camera because I can adjust to my liking.

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out. This feature is only available in Video mode. We haven't received any updates regarding the suggestion. Please note that all the suggestions need to undergo evaluation and unfortunately, that takes time. We will continue to record this suggestion and will make a follow-up on this request. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-11-27
Use props
Rkorell
lvl.2
Germany

Hi @CloudVisual,

Sorry for reanimating this - but I‘m new in this forum and found your posting right now.
I can‘t imagine for what purposes you need to photograph hundreds of barcodes - but: Do you have considered to re-engineer your process?

Looking from the outside it should be an advantage to have the scanned barcodes not stored in (huge) photos but „really digital“.

For this I would use the filming capabilities of the drone - which must be quite faster as well, because you don‘t have to stop at every occurance of a new barcode.
Here in this forum I have seen at least two threads which are describing how to get the remote control‘s video signal to an external monitor. One of them with a combination of two adapters and a video grabber on iPad, the other one even wirelessly to a battery powered HDMI monitor.
I would place a cheap Raspi with attached raspi-camera above the secondary screen and write a short python or whatever script (templates available in internet), let this script extract the data out of the barcodes and write this data into a database or even flat into a CSV or what ever delimited file.
This reduces your storage from GB‘s to few bytes per barcode and you can re-create (if neccessary) barcodes in any size without ANY noise and and at the maximum of sharpness.

Just my 2cents.

Warm regards,
Ralf
2-17 01:50
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rkorell Posted at 2-17 01:50
Hi @CloudVisual,

Sorry for reanimating this - but I‘m new in this forum and found your posting right now.

Thanks for your input Ralf.

I can't go into too much detail about what it is that I capture, but I can say that the barcodes are in places where it's safer to fly a drone than to put a person. There are other ways to tackle this job, but the drone is the most efficient and safest.

Video capture also would not work, the barcodes are too small to read from the screen or a video. Photos are much better and data-efficient.

Wish I could tell you more, but sadly I'll have to leave it up to your imagination!
2-17 02:56
Use props
Rkorell
lvl.2
Germany

:-) O.K., just some thougths from my side.
If this doesn‘t fit -don‘t worry…

Sincerely,
Ralf
2-17 07:20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules