2178 16 2023-10-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snowstorm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 467831 ft
  • >>>
Canada

How sensitive is the thermal camera to the sun?

There is a sticker that says "do not expose to sun or senor may be damanged"

It is totally possible to accidentially expose camera to the sun during flights, it may be for only a 1-2 seconds, how sensitive is it? If it is really sensitive, is there a sun-shade that can be applied on daylight flights when the sun is low in the sky to prevent this?

2023-10-12
Use props
Franz Kurz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70472 ft

Austria

The problem is the surface temperature of the sun. The surface temperature of the sun is in the range of 6000 degrees Celsius or 10832 Fahrenheit. The working range is 0-500 degrees Celsius. 6000 degrees Celsius sunlight is 12 times higher and beleaguered the sensor. Only a matter of time before the sensor is damaged!  
2023-10-12
Use props
snowstorm
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

For sure the sun is hot and would be a problem. I am just wondering if anyone know how sensitive the mavic 3T or M30 thermal camera is to the sun. Would an accidental pan across that last say 2-3 seconds across the FOV permanently damage it? Is there a shutter that protects it when IR mode is not active? If so, then it may be prudent to put some sort of cover on it during the day or never use IR mode except at night.
2023-10-12
Use props
Franz Kurz
lvl.4

Austria

I have more than 20 years of experience with infrared cameras (Fluke). I only know of specially offered filters, but they don't exist for dji. The only thing that helps is to cover the lens
2023-10-12
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

Just be sure that “burn-in protection” is enabled and you’ll be fine. Your M3T will automatically close the shutter on the thermal camera anytime you face directly towards the sun. I’ve tested the functionality and it works perfect.
2023-10-12
Use props
Franz Kurz
lvl.4

Austria

very interesting, I didn't know that the mavic 3t has this protective function. I own a Mavic 2 enterprise advanced
2023-10-12
Use props
snowstorm
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Yes it does. The M3T says "sun detected, closing shutter" or something similar.
I was flying it today and left IR mode on and was swinging it around in the afternoon and the sun panned across the view. Note that it still left a burn-in mark on the sensor, where there is trail a spot that measures colder than the other areas. It seem to be temporary though, and went away after a few hours. It is still scary. I think it would be bad if it happens too long. I would be very careful using IR in the daylight. I am curious to know that if the shutter remains shut until IR mode is engaged, it must or it would be very problematic.
Be careful using IR mode in the day, sadly, that's when the vast majority of my flights take place. Watch where the sun is, avoid that direction and turn IR mode off as soon as you are done.
2023-10-12
Use props
Amit Dunsky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1083205 ft
Israel

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 10-12 13:44
Just be sure that “burn-in protection” is enabled and you’ll be fine. Your M3T will automatically close the shutter on the thermal camera anytime you face directly towards the sun. I’ve tested the functionality and it works perfect.

Where is this function enabled from?
Can't find and reference in the controller, nor is there any physical shutter that I'm aware of for this camera.

Thanks.
2023-12-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

Amit Dunsky Posted at 12-28 03:23
Where is this function enabled from?
Can't find and reference in the controller, nor is there any physical shutter that I'm aware of for this camera.

If you switch to the thermal camera, then tap to get into camera settings & it’s in the 3 dots part of that menu.

Mine was enabled by default. If you face the camera at the sun, it’ll kick-in & say that it has been activated.
2023-12-28
Use props
miss_demeanor59
lvl.1

United States

DRONE-flies-YOU! Posted at 10-12 13:44
Just be sure that “burn-in protection” is enabled and you’ll be fine. Your M3T will automatically close the shutter on the thermal camera anytime you face directly towards the sun. I’ve tested the functionality and it works perfect.

Could you please elaborate on how to enable this protection mode? I have a new M3T and have not seen this setting. Thanks in advance!
2023-12-28
Use props
pspec
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2570446 ft
Switzerland

This can be changed in the IR camera settings.
2023-12-29
Use props
pspec
Second Officer
Switzerland

and when the protection is active:
2023-12-29
Use props
Amit Dunsky
lvl.4
Israel

pspec Posted at 12-29 00:32
This can be changed in the IR camera settings.[view_image]

Is this the Pilot2 screen for the Mavic 3T, or the Matrice?
2023-12-29
Use props
pspec
Second Officer
Switzerland

Amit Dunsky Posted at 12-29 13:24
Is this the Pilot2 screen for the Mavic 3T, or the Matrice?

Is Pilot 2 Screen from M3T.This is the M3T forum, not Matrice.

2023-12-30
Use props
Amit Dunsky
lvl.4
Israel

pspec Posted at 2023-12-30 00:10
Is Pilot 2 Screen from M3T.This is the M3T forum, not Matrice.

I'm aware of thar
Found this feature in my app. Thanks.
1-1 04:06
Use props
Hermanus Gerber4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2113875 ft
South Africa

I've found it quite difficult to not accidentally point the camera towards the sun when the sun is low on the horizon - especially when I'm using the zoom camera. Even if the IR camera is not selected I'm still getting the warning. This makes me believe it is not possible to switch off the IR camera. I really don't want to damage the IR camera. Do you reckon the safety feature is sufficient or should I rather avoid flying even the sun is low on the horizon?
2-13 09:17
Use props
snowstorm
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Hermanus Gerber4 Posted at 2-13 09:17
I've found it quite difficult to not accidentally point the camera towards the sun when the sun is low on the horizon - especially when I'm using the zoom camera. Even if the IR camera is not selected I'm still getting the warning. This makes me believe it is not possible to switch off the IR camera. I really don't want to damage the IR camera. Do you reckon the safety feature is sufficient or should I rather avoid flying even the sun is low on the horizon?

For me, I will get a "burn in" mark if I accidentally point the camera at the sun and the shutter closes. However, this burn in mark fades over the next few hours and by the next day it is gone. So a very brief exposure to the sun low in the sky doesn't seem to produce permeant damage.
2-13 10:23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules