Does anyone have info on the timecode feature?
2840 17 2023-10-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

I read in the manual that it can accept a timecode signal via usb.  Is it TCXO compensated?  Could I just just sync it with my tentacle and then disconnect it and trust it won't drift, or would I need to keep it connected?

I can't seem to find any info on it.

2023-10-25
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

This is only video I’ve seen with some mention go to 5.40 if you don’t want to watch it all
2023-10-25
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 10-25 15:18
This is only video I’ve seen with some mention go to 5.40 if you don’t want to watch it all
https://youtu.be/W2quvhjhecQ?si=UuYPkD2j_cqXiWF5

Yeah I've already saw Jake's video which is where my curiosity started.  I would think that if it had true tcxo timecode they would advertise it.  Probably similar to what current mirrorless cameras have where it is not "true" timecode. and could quickly drift

It would have been nice if it had it.  I could then sync it with all my cameras without needing another sync device.
2023-10-25
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

A1C Posted at 10-25 15:48
Yeah I've already saw Jake's video which is where my curiosity started.  I would think that if it had true tcxo timecode they would advertise it.  Probably similar to what current mirrorless cameras have where it is not "true" timecode. and could quickly drift

It would have been nice if it had it.  I could then sync it with all my cameras without needing another sync device.

It’s not something i have used so don’t know enough about it. But there are many ways to market this kind of stuff, it could be dji just dipping their toe in the water or it needs some more updating to improve it. I’m sure someone will demonstrate it soon enough.
2023-10-25
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 10-25 15:52
It’s not something i have used so don’t know enough about it. But there are many ways to market this kind of stuff, it could be dji just dipping their toe in the water or it needs some more updating to improve it. I’m sure someone will demonstrate it soon enough.

It makes syncing multiple cameras in your video editor a breeze.  Once you use it once you will never go back.

No more clapping to get audio synced.  The only requirement is that all the time pieces have to be extremely accurate and the chips for that tend to be pricey.

Tentacle sync is one and Deity has one as well.  Both very good.
2023-10-25
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The timecode function for the DJI Pocket 3 is similar to the one with Osmo Action 3 and 4. You are able to get access to the time code function under the system settings, for the timecode usage, you are advised to use a third-party timecode synchronizer to sync devices from different directions then the timecode will now be synchronized. When using the TentacleSync Timecoder with the unit, you only need to use the synchronization function of the "Timecoder”. The synchronization function is used to synchronize a separate timecode in the product, and after the synchronization is completed, the Timecoder can be unplugged. Hope this helps. Feel free to contact us if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-10-25
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just FYI for anyone who cares about TC.  You can jam sync the pocket 3, but I wouldn't remove the TC module.  I confirmed from someone who has it that it will drift a few frames after a couple of hours.
2023-10-26
Use props
tacchan23
lvl.2

Italy

A1C Posted at 10-26 03:51
Just FYI for anyone who cares about TC.  You can jam sync the pocket 3, but I wouldn't remove the TC module.  I confirmed from someone who has it that it will drift a few frames after a couple of hours.

In the comments of the video posted above, he replied that it's not possible to keep the tentacle connected and need to jam every couple of hours
2023-10-26
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

tacchan23 Posted at 10-26 06:22
In the comments of the video posted above, he replied that it's not possible to keep the tentacle connected and need to jam every couple of hours

Hmm that stinks.  Maybe that can be fixed in FW.  The manual says it can be synced with external, and that is all it says.

I'll have to try it when I get it in.
2023-10-26
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

A1C Posted at 10-26 07:14
Hmm that stinks.  Maybe that can be fixed in FW.  The manual says it can be synced with external, and that is all it says.

I'll have to try it when I get it in.

plz refer to the osmo action timecode setting video and pocket3 is similar

2023-10-26
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-ytao Posted at 10-26 07:22
plz refer to the osmo action timecode setting video and pocket3 is similar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFsolvrRJp0

Thanks for the clip.  I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it would have been nice not to have to jam sync every so often.  At the same time it would have made the pocket 3 more expensive.
2023-10-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

A1C Posted at 10-26 09:44
Thanks for the clip.  I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it would have been nice not to have to jam sync every so often.  At the same time it would have made the pocket 3 more expensive.

You are welcome, A1C. We will gather this feedback of yours and will forward it to the designated team. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-10-31
Use props
fansb9031bc1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7851 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've tried to sync timecodes with my Tentacle Sync and I repeatedly receive a framerate mismatch error on the Pocket 3 ....

Digging deeper, when I set the frame rate to 24 fps ... the Pocket 3 actually sits at 23.98 .... 60 FPS and it's 59.94 DF and so on

I'm using external recorders and other footage which treats 24FPS as 24 FPS and 60 FPS as 60 FPS / etc ... and what I'm noticing is small sync errors between audio and sound as time progresses.  Also the internal TC on the Pocket 3 slips after a while so constantly needs to be sync'd

I'm hoping these issues can be fixed in a firmware update?

There are also issues with the proxy (LRF) files which are being created as the timecode on those isn't always set properly / sync'd with the master

2023-11-4
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansb9031bc1 Posted at 11-4 08:43
I've tried to sync timecodes with my Tentacle Sync and I repeatedly receive a framerate mismatch error on the Pocket 3 ....

Digging deeper, when I set the frame rate to 24 fps ... the Pocket 3 actually sits at 23.98 .... 60 FPS and it's 59.94 DF and so on

That's exactly what I was hoping for is a FW update.  I don't see a reason why the pocket 3 couldn't be made to use an external TC device that is always plugged in and use the ext TC.  I'm not expecting it to have a TCXO since those are expensive.

I had to have my pocket 3 replaced the day I got it because the mic 2 was broken (it would not charge at all; I think the battery was not connected at all to the board), and it is coming next week so I have not played with TC yet.

The (ugly) way to fix this for now would be to get a USB-C to TRS and plug in something like the Deity TC device that can record scratch audio as well and use the new Rode wireless or some other mic with TC to sync in post.

I'm curious if the mic 2 will have TC like the Rode does.  I'm hoping it does and the feature is hidden until the standalone mic 2 is released and the pocket 3 mics are updated via FW.
2023-11-4
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansb9031bc1 Posted at 11-4 08:43
I've tried to sync timecodes with my Tentacle Sync and I repeatedly receive a framerate mismatch error on the Pocket 3 ....

Digging deeper, when I set the frame rate to 24 fps ... the Pocket 3 actually sits at 23.98 .... 60 FPS and it's 59.94 DF and so on

Oh yeah, and as for the framerate you will need to set to 23.98 on the tentacle.  Not many cameras are true 24fps.
2023-11-4
Use props
J. Dub
lvl.2
Flight distance : 143264 ft
United States

fansb9031bc1 Posted at 2023-11-4 08:43

Can we get an answer on this? It should be an easy firmware update to give us time code sync.
1-16 23:34
Use props
JasonCole
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1278360 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A1C Posted at 2023-10-26 03:51

How do you jam sync it without a 3.5mm jack?
3-11 18:57
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JasonCole Posted at 3-11 18:57
How do you jam sync it without a 3.5mm jack?

You'll need a usb-c to 3.5 audio adapter.  I can't recommend one since the one I got did not work (at least for me).  I stopped bothering since I didn't see the point.  I can't leave external TC connected so it keeps jamming so it will drift eventually.

Maybe this one from B&H will work?? Deity adapter

I'm not bothering until DJI updates the TC functionality.
3-12 03:52
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules