Recording HDR but unsure about non HDR devices and video quality
744 2 2023-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mrhonidji
lvl.2

United States

This is my first drone.  The last flight I recorded in 4k/60 and HDR. I use Lumafusion for editing and the video has more color and looks brighter within Lumafusion so I don't know how they can do that. Upon export I can see that the export is set for Wide Gamet HDR - HLG.  On my iMac with an Apple Studio display, which does not have HDR, when viewing the exported video, the colors are duller and video not as bright.  

Please suggest if there is a way I can export HDR like color and brightness that can be viewed on HDR devices and look great on non HDR devices.
I did find a LUT from DJI to use in Lumafusion if I were to record the drone video in D-Log M and it color grades(?) to Rec.709 and will this do what I'm asking or is there a better solution, such as just record in HDR and leave it be.

2023-10-30
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

You cannot, by definition, view HDR-like dynamic range on a non-HDR display.

However, by using HLG (High log gamma) you encode the HDR information in a way that a non-HDR display ignored the additional information which results in the best possible compromise.

If you display non-HLG HDR content on a non-HDR display then you will get what looks like colour banding as the display is unable to represent all of the shades described in the video data. The colour shades are effectively 'clipped' at the brightest that the display can show and everything that is brighter on the video is displayed at that 'display brightest' shade.

With HLG the shades that are beyond SDR are encoded differently, so you get a good image on an SDR (is non-HDR) display, but an HDR HLG display can use the extra information to recreate the full HDR ranges.

(I hope that makes sense)
2023-10-30
Use props
mrhonidji
lvl.2

United States

No Original Thought Posted at 10-30 13:40
You cannot, by definition, view HDR-like dynamic range on a non-HDR display.

However, by using HLG (High log gamma) you encode the HDR information in a way that a non-HDR display ignored the additional information which results in the best possible compromise.

Thank you for your comment.  I understand what you are telling me.  
2023-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules